House shopping and garages?

Trouble Maker

So we are starting to look for houses, and weighing what's important to have now and what we can sacrifice to build/change later. Or even what we don't want the house to have so we can make it exactly what we want later. For example, maybe we don't want an upgraded kitchen so we don't pay for that in the price of the house and not have it be exactly what we want.

At first I was thinking a 2 car garage was a must. But now I'm thinking it may be better to have an ok 1 car and build a really nice 3 car a few years down the road. I don't think no garage is an option because I think it will be a few years until we will be able to build a new garage. Maybe a 2 car would be good if it's a bigger 2 car. I'm remembering 1 house which had a 24x24 garage. Not enough space for 3 cars, but still a pretty big garage for the area.

I also want to make sure I understand the city code correctly, so I don't assume I can build what I want and then not be able to.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3347PLCODI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3347PLCODI_3347.13PRGA

A private detached garage may not occupy more than 45 percent of the total rear yard;

(F)

Subject to the limitation of subsection (E) above, no portion of the lot area devoted to a private garage or a carport shall exceed the greater of:

(1)

720 square feet; or

(2)

One-third of the minimum net floor area for living quarters of the principal residence; and

So for this house, just as an example, we could build up to a 720sqft garage, correct?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/318-E-Dunedin-Rd_Columbus_OH_43214_M45770-80355?ex=OH539014925

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=563&pictureid=6131

So, would you want a 2 car garage, even if that means a small 2 car garage, or a crappy 1 car that you wouldn't care about tearing down in a few years to build a much nicer (probably 3 car w/2 regular spots 1 work bay w/ lift) a few years down the road? Whatever house we get into, we are planning on staying in for a while.

It's all about what you want, if you are concerned with resale, only a car person is going to like a detached garage, others just want 2-3 cars connected and has an entry into the house. We ran into this in selling our house, our 2 car was attached but did not enter into the house, it had a door on the porch. The fact that the garage was attached but didn't open into the house directly was complained about with more than half of the people when they left feedback. (every showing leaves feedback) we had 32 showings. In this day, I would never buy a house with a 1 car, it's becoming more common with new builds that 3 car is almost expected.

I also want to make sure I understand the city code correctly, so I don't assume I can build what I want and then not be able to.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3347PLCODI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3347PLCODI_3347.13PRGA

So for this house, just as an example, we could build up to a 720sqft garage, correct?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/318-E-Dunedin-Rd_Columbus_OH_43214_M45770-80355?ex=OH539014925

http://64.79.95.207/mmfiles1/7786559.png

Perhaps not - per the auditors website:

http://www.franklincountyoh.metacama.com/do/selectDisplay?select=SUMMARY&curpid=01005859500

That house is only shown at 866 sq. ft. The realtor is probably including some finished space in the basement - but the city is likely to go off the "official" number from the auditor. If it were me, I would stick with the auditors number - you could try and fight it, but the likely result (if you "win" would be more property taxes to pay for the "found" square footage along with the additional value of the garage.

Also keep in mind you can't have two garages anymore in the city - even if they total less than the 720 sq ft listed.

This is just my .02, so take it with a grain of salt.. We wanted an3 car garage. We still do.. But the idea of ripping apart our current garage and/or building just never seems to happen. We have been here 10 years this month and I don't see it happening anyone in the near future.

It's not because we can't afford it, it's because it's just a huge PIA.

IMHO, either get as close to what you want as possible now because you never know what've future will hold. Kitchens are a huge expense as well as garages, don't be afraid to have them now of you can afford them.

I'd you are a DIY'r this my not apply as much to you but in my experience life gets in the way of those major upgrades like that

Well, in the area that we are looking, primarily Clintonville, things are different than in new builds or out in the burbs, from what we can tell. More than 2 car garages are very, very, uncommon. Attached garages are not very common either, we've only been in a few with breezeways or Florida rooms 'attaching' them (techinically not attached but most buyers will consider them attached). Probably 90% of the houses have detached garages in this neighborhood.

From what I can tell on realtor.com, there are 259 houses for sale in Clintonville, and this is the break down. 9 have a 3 car or more garage, 149 have 2 or more, 86 have 1 or more and 24 have no garage at all. So about 40/60, less than 2 car/2 car or more.

If we get a 1 car garage, we will build a 3 car a few years down the road. 1 car=less expensive right now and we can build exactly what we want later. Really, less expensive means we can sacrifice the garage right now and get other things in the house, within our price range (better location or larger/nicer house). So yes, in a perfect world we could get exactly what we want right now, but that's not within our price range.

Edited by Trouble Maker

Perhaps not - per the auditors website:

http://www.franklincountyoh.metacama.com/do/selectDisplay?select=SUMMARY&curpid=01005859500

That house is only shown at 866 sq. ft. The realtor is probably including some finished space in the basement - but the city is likely to go off the "official" number from the auditor. If it were me, I would stick with the auditors number - you could try and fight it, but the likely result (if you "win" would be more property taxes to pay for the "found" square footage along with the additional value of the garage.

Also keep in mind you can't have two garages anymore in the city - even if they total less than the 720 sq ft listed.

I don't understand why the 866sqft means it can't have a 720sqft garage?

If it had a 1 car garage, we would tear it down and build a new one.

Subject to the limitation of subsection (E) above, no portion of the lot area devoted to a private garage or a carport shall exceed the greater of:

(1)

720 square feet; or

(2)

One-third of the minimum net floor area for living quarters of the principal residence; and

So yes, 1/3 of 866 is only 288sqft, but 720>288 no?

My uncle is a general contractor, primarily finishing basements. He lives on the westside of Columbus in ~1ksqft house and has a 720sqft garage. Granted he built that 11 years ago and codes can change.

Get what you want right off the bat and don't sacrifice.

The only sacrifice we see would be spending more than what we want and being strapped to more debt that what we want. We could spend more and get exactly what we want right now, but there's no way I'm going into more debt than what we consider reasonable. :fa:

There's not much in a house we can't change over time. The only thing we can't change is where the house is, and to a certain extent size/layout. Everything else we can and probably will change.

I'd you are a DIY'r this my not apply as much to you but in my experience life gets in the way of those major upgrades like that

I don't see us farming anything out. Anything I need help with, I can ask my uncle to show us how to do it, he's one of the best around. I worked with him for about a year when I was younger too.

This is just my .02, so take it with a grain of salt.. We wanted an3 car garage. We still do.. But the idea of ripping apart our current garage and/or building just never seems to happen. We have been here 10 years this month and I don't see it happening anyone in the near future.

It's not because we can't afford it, it's because it's just a huge PIA.

IMHO, either get as close to what you want as possible now because you never know what've future will hold. Kitchens are a huge expense as well as garages, don't be afraid to have them now of you can afford them.

These ^

We got our current place and we "settled" on it. Wasn't what we wanted, but we thought we'd upgrade/add later or just sell and buy better. That has yet to happen. Get as close as you can to what you want up front.

I don't understand why the 866sqft means it can't have a 720sqft garage?

If it had a 1 car garage, we would tear it down and build a new one.

So yes, 1/3 of 866 is only 288sqft, but 720>288 no?

My uncle is a general contractor, primarily finishing basements. He lives on the westside of Columbus in ~1ksqft house and has a 720sqft garage. Granted he built that 11 years ago and codes can change.

OK - my bad - I missed the "greater than" clause...

start with the structure you want. Everything inside can be redone easy enough, but building new structure means potentially having part of your house open to the elements for a while, and it requires the headache of building permits and dealing with the city. Its not worth it when there are so many other houses out there that could start off with the layout you want at the price you want. there may have to be tradeoffs - if the area you want doesn't have the layout you want, then it may be worth it to look elsewhere or do without, but I personally wouldn't want to build onto an existing house, it just doesn't seem like time or money well spent unless I have some sort of deep attachment to the place. As a buyer, hold out for the place that is right, regardless of what your goals are. I regret the house I bought and can't wait to sell it and move on.

The only sacrifice we see would be spending more than what we want and being strapped to more debt that what we want. We could spend more and get exactly what we want right now, but there's no way I'm going into more debt than what we consider reasonable. :fa:

There's not much in a house we can't change over time. The only thing we can't change is where the house is, and to a certain extent size/layout. Everything else we can and probably will change.

I don't see us farming anything out. Anything I need help with, I can ask my uncle to show us how to do it, he's one of the best around. I worked with him for about a year when I was younger too.

Think of it this way, if you are looking at a house with a 2 car vs a house with 1 or none, assume the difference in price for example may be $20k. On a 30 year note, you are probably talking around $100/month or less price difference.

I would at a minimum shoot for a 2 car garage w/ an attached work room or a straight up 3 car garage. 1 space can easily be taken up by lathe, work bench, metal brake, welders, engine hoist, ect.

Another thought - you are allowed up to a 10x20 "storage shed" - When I moved and wound up with an attached 2 1/2 car garage (down froma a 28 x 40 detached garage), I purchased a 10x20 shed and it is great for storage of hoists, engine stands, wheels & tires ( oh yeah and bikes/mowers & so on) that quickly eat garage space.

Think of it this way, if you are looking at a house with a 2 car vs a house with 1 or none, assume the difference in price for example may be $20k. On a 30 year note, you are probably talking around $100/month or less price difference.

Why spend $20k more on a house for 1 more garage spot when a 2 car garage is not even really what I want? Especially when I could build exactly what I want for around that price?

3 car garages are virtually non-existent in this area.

Also keep in mind that a lot of properties at the North end of Clintonville have garages in the alley's. Like closer to Morse Road, just keep that in mind as there is not any room back there to add on side to side.

Erica and I looked extensively in Clintonville and are "fresh" out of the market. I work over on Indianola and test drive all through the neighborhoods over there. Great area, but you are definitely paying for location over there as homes are really over priced for what you get in some parts.

We bought a really outdated house that we have been comfortably and I think quickly bringing back up to more modern specs. The structure is solid, space is good, and price was right for the area. I would again buy based on the space, then take into consideration the price vs. what needs to be done. Look at comparables or other homes on the same street and compare what has been done/updated in a more expensive home to what you are looking at more seriously.

Why spend $20k more on a house for 1 more garage spot when a 2 car garage is not even really what I want? Especially when I could build exactly what I want for around that price?

I think what he is saying is.. to put a new garage on/redo what you have, will cost you around 20k, so spend it now, or spend it later

What Gabe said. Have it built right from the getgo.

2-car garage is not for a typical CR member; 3-car is a bare minimum. A 4-car with tall ceiling (bare minimum 10 feet tall) is a benchmark. Don't do it like me; settled for a 2-car and now hating it.

I'm guessing that there is a good reason that there aren't many 3-car garages there..... I highly doubt they'd let you put a giant 3-car on that lot. Per the code its a no, but you can always try for variances, but man those are a PITA. You could probably go 720 depending on the setbacks (cant be that close to the line as it sits now), but that still inst really a full 3 car size

We did up a big 'ol 3 or 4 car garage addition up by Polaris (still Columbus) and they shot it down. I don't think they kept trying to get it to pass zoning though.

I'm guessing that there is a good reason that there aren't many 3-car garages there..... I highly doubt they'd let you put a giant 3-car on that lot. Per the code its a no, but you can always try for variances, but man those are a PITA. You could probably go 720 depending on the setbacks (cant be that close to the line as it sits now), but that still inst really a full 3 car size.

What in the code says no to this? I'm just trying to understand the code, since it's not so clear. I'm not seeing what would bar it at this house, just as an example? This is the reason for my question, so I understand the code before I buy a house and how that effects what I can or can not build. That way, I don't get into a house, assuming I can build a larger garage and then I can't.

I slightly mis-quoted the code for garages in this case, I think. The last one was for "planned community districts", I think, and therefore had some provision about no more than a 2 car garage. I think this one is the more appropriate one? http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI_3332.38PRGA

Side lines code, 3 feet no? That doesn't seem like a huge hurdle. http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI_3332.26MISIYAPE

Once I started seeing stats, it's all TL;DR for me...

GET WHAT YOU WANT IN THE BEGINNING

Buying a house is like ANY sort of relationship: if you go in thinking "I'm going to change this", it'll likely never get done. I know that's oversimplified, but we can talk sometime about this further.

What Gabe said. Have it built right from the getgo.

2-car garage is not for a typical CR member; 3-car is a bare minimum. A 4-car with tall ceiling (bare minimum 10 feet tall) is a benchmark. Don't do it like me; settled for a 2-car and now hating it.

To reiterate, I'm not building, I'm (we are) buying. And it's in an area that 3 car garages are virtually non-existent. So why buy a 2 car, when it's not what I want, if I can get a 1 car and build a 3 car later? This is just where my logically thinking is taking me, but I posted this to see differing opinions.

To reiterate, I'm not building, I'm (we are) buying. And it's in an area that 3 car garages are virtually non-existent. So why buy a 2 car, when it's not what I want, if I can get a 1 car and build a 3 car later? This is just where my logically thinking is taking me, but I posted this to see differing opinions.

I would just buy a 1-car, and a shed. Put as much stuff that rusts into the shed as you can, put the nicest car you have in the garage, and park everything else next to the garage or in front of it.

Don't overlook throwing down some gravel/roadbase next to your garage so you can park a second car next to it...possibly build a car-port. That can be done on the cheap, such that you can delay the expense of a new garage for a few years.

What in the code says no to this? I'm just trying to understand the code, since it's not so clear. I'm not seeing what would bar it at this house, just as an example? This is the reason for my question, so I understand the code before I buy a house and how that effects what I can or can not build. That way, I don't get into a house, assuming I can build a larger garage and then I can't.

I slightly mis-quoted the code for garages in this case, I think. The last one was for "planned community districts", I think, and therefore had some provision about no more than a 2 car garage. I think this one is the more appropriate one? http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI_3332.38PRGA

Side lines code, 3 feet no? That doesn't seem like a huge hurdle. http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI_3332.26MISIYAPE

When laws are unclear the best course of action is to write whoever is in charge of that area, I don't know if it's a city planner or what. You want to get a clarification IN WRITING before you build something so that they can't come back a year later and say its wrong and make you tear it down.