HVAC Problem V.2.0

Guest Hal

There was some good info in Tim's thread, especially from Forcefed (I hope he shows up in this one too), but none of it specifically addressed my issue.

My A/C is now running constantly too. I'm not 100% sure if the outside unit is continuing to run, or if it is just the inside fan. I'll check that tonight. The system (outside unit and lines I think) is new, installed mid-late last summer. I've replaced the thermostat and verified its operation with yet another unit. The thermostat can be switched to off and the A/C will continue to run. If the house reaches the correct temp, the snowflake icon will go off the thermostat and the A/C will run anyway. There is ice building up on the line at the outside unit, so that doesn't seem too good right now.

I'm guessing this is an electrical issue, but I'm not familiar with HVAC wiring so I don't just want to start probing around. Does anyone know where I should start before I end up having to call someone?

Have you cleaned the outside thing? Ours was packed with years of grass clippings, and it did something similar...

KillJoy

Yep, I got all the grass and ragweed off when I changed the filter. I have to clean it about once a month due to the placement.

I'd venture a guess that your having problems with the main board (probably a relay) on the inside/outside unit $$$. If you can safely locate the main board try tapping each of the relays and see if the problem persists.

Home HVAC is nothing but a headache, should have a thread of my own up here in a week or so.

is the compressor running too or just the fan? the fan should be on a temp switch I believe (for just the condenser, seperate from the t-stat inside). idk if the temp switch may be adjustable, if not it is possibly bad.

disclaimer: I'm going off of how the company I work for builds them. the company I work builds them for industrial purposes and for server rooms and such. I know there are many differances from a home air conditioner. I'm just trying to give you something to look for and a possible starting point.

I'd venture a guess that your having problems with the main board (probably a relay) on the inside/outside unit $$$. If you can safely locate the main board try tapping each of the relays and see if the problem persists.

Home HVAC is nothing but a headache, should have a thread of my own up here in a week or so.

That's what is wrong with mine. The relays on the unit inside. Tapped them and the blower turned off.

Hal, want the # of my buddy that took care of mine?

Yeah, that'd be good. Can you PM it to me when you get a sec?

is the compressor running too or just the fan? the fan should be on a temp switch I believe (for just the condenser, seperate from the t-stat inside). idk if the temp switch may be adjustable, if not it is possibly bad.

disclaimer: I'm going off of how the company I work for builds them. the company I work builds them for industrial purposes and for server rooms and such. I know there are many differances from a home air conditioner. I'm just trying to give you something to look for and a possible starting point.

I believe it is just the fan, but I keep forgetting to verify. The guy who posted about a relay sounds like that might be going the right direction.

The guy who posted about a relay sounds like that might be going the right direction.

I have a name Hal, maybe we can be friends.:fa:

P.S. don't forget to shut off the breaker feeding the AC when you go to check the relay.

Text me for tech advice...it's easier.

I'm out of town a cell net is sketchy at best but texting works.

937-361-401 one

It helps if you have and are handi with a multimeter...an amp clamp is even more of a plus.