auto x setup

The_buster

So after reading about auto cross and watching videos, I think I want to try with the civic. I subscribed to dsport magazine a few months ago and this month it came with a seperate magazine on suspension setups. I was just wondering what brands people use and how they have them set. Also tires and any other info would be great too. In the magazine it mentioned stiff front and soft rear springs. Seeing as the car will also be a daily as well how would this affect ride quality? It also mentioned bolt-in roll cages?.. I like the idea of this because I could take them out if needed unlike a weld in. Thanks in advance.

Also wouldn't be attempting this until late summer/fall or next spring just getting ideas and questions cleared up.

Welp, is your Civic still all original?

Autocrossing can be as expensive as you want it to be. You can have a ton of fun not spending a ton of money. I for one would start with a set of tires and go from there. You don't need a full race prepped car to fit in, or be competitive as there are classes for all cars no matter how much or little the car is modified.

On the bolt in cage front, typically people don't bolt them in, then take them out between events. The idea is that it is a cheaper alternative for amateur racers nd can be removed down the road for a smooth transition to a street car for the next owner. You certainly do not need a cage to autocross as the likelyhood of a rollover is almost non existent. Most (not all) caged cars that autocross double as track cars hence the cage.

There are several ways to approach this.

You could just run the car as it sits, which is what I would do to determine that yes, this is something I would like to pursue more seriously. When you run the car you will have your complaints about the car, it has too much body roll, tires don't grip well, etc OR you may find that YOU need some more seat time. From that point you can decide financially which direction you wish to take with the car so that YOU get the most enjoyment out of the car, and it becomes more competitive as a result.

It looks silly from the experienced side if you show up with a fully prepped car and don't know how to drive it. Plus you will appreciate your changes more if you do a little at a time and adjust to it's new driving habits.

Yup, great advice. :) Just show up and drive and see if AutoX is something you want to pursue. If it is, then the usual progression is to pick the class you want to compete in and *then* plan your budget and mods. If you mod first you may find yourself bumped out of the class you would have been competitive in sue to one mod you may not have needed anyways.

For example, there's a simple mod on my STI that replaces the rear control arm mounts. But because it moves those mounts (less than 1/2") it bumps what should be a streetable STU car into Prepared which is home to stripped-out dedicated racers.

So arrive and drive then start a plan.

Auto X is fun and just "run what you brung". Spend your money tightening the nut behind the wheel. Then as other mentioned you can figure out where you need to upgrade. You will push through the turns and probably want to get some sticky summer tires after a few sessions. Then you will still push and probably want to slap a huge rear sway bar.

By doing some events then changing things, you will be able to see if those changes did anything. Auto X is cheap, fun, and teaches you good driving skills.

One more thing, stay away from SCCA, they are packed and you don't get as much driving time as the porshce, BMW and other clubs that host them.

One more thing, stay away from SCCA, they are packed and you don't get as much driving time as the porshce, BMW and other clubs that host them.

As someone who's been an SCCA member for 30+ years and have autocrossed w/Porsche-Mercedes Club, Miate Club, Ford Club, etc., I will say there are many options to get out and play. Try several (or all) and see what fits your style/goals.

SCCA events (even locally) are typically big with 4-6 runs in a day. They have good insurance and a well organized team of volunteers to run them.

The local marque clubs put on typically smaller events, usually a little looser organization, but you do typically get more runs (6-12 in a day). My experience has been the courses are tighter and the designs can sometimes be less fun to run (opinion).

It all depends on if you just want to drive and play alot for your time and money (clubs) - or if you want to really compete against similarly prepared cars and have a path to more competitive events (SCCA).

+1 on the drive the car more and worry about mods later train of thought. As to the above - read the rules as well so you don't make a mod that bumps you into a class you really don't want to be in. As far as SCCA goes, the rulebook is available here:

http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

Regardless of how you choose to go - see if you can go along to your first driving event with someone who has been there before and can help you through your first time - that way you can worry about learning the course and driving and not just navigating the morning sign in/tech/parking/etc.

Dunlop Direzza Z1*spec tires are pretty much the go-to tire for AutoX. They have an excellent grip/price ratio. Hankook RS3s and Toyo Proxes R1Rs are other good choices. If you're just putting them on your stock wheels, you'll be ok as classing goes.

Oh, helmets must be certified by a recognized organization (Snell is the most common). Your helmet must be SA2000 or M2000 or newer. If you're buying a helmet now I would highly recommend getting a SA2010 rated one. It will last the longest and work for events that require SA ratings.

I'd say get your car to be in a mechanically-sound condition. While helmet needs to be at least Snell-rated (M is fine), tires are for later. A certain CR member brought a rotted Miata shod with Walmart-special tires for his only second-time autoxing and he was nearly the fastest vehicle on street tires.

1. Bring a mechanically-sound vehicle

2. Bring a Snell-rated helmet that fits you

3. Come race

The rest will come later.

I would highly recommend going to Page 71 and starting there. I had a car that I enjoyed driving and my boss was trying to get me to come out and try Auto-X. I looked at the SCCA rules and I would have been far outperformed by car capability and driver experience for the class my car fit into. I may decide to try it with the stock class when I get another toy. (I am done doing the race on the weekend and drive to work during the week. To much stress if something breaks.)

Are you planning on running a second set of wheels for the car, or are you going to have to daily drive the car on said sticky tires? That will determine what sort of tire you could run that is safe also for daily duties.

(I am done doing the race on the weekend and drive to work during the week. To much stress if something breaks.)

You can always go to karts...

Less than $2K for a good used set up, get a $500 Harbor Freight folding trailer, put hitch on anything, buy sticky tires for $200 a set and some safetey gear - for less than $3K you can go faster than any of the cars, store said kart & trailer in minimal space and if you get bored, run it down to Circleville and run all day on their kart track for $15.

It's worked for me so far!

I run a Civic. Show up this Saturday at OSU and introduce yourself. You can ride along (except on my last run when I get "serious").

Regarding getting started:

- Show up with your car as it sits. Just make sure it is safe - battery tied down, no excessive fluid leaks, brake pedal strong, seat belt works, etc. While a prepped car is more fun, you can have plenty of fun with a totally stock car. Most all of us started this way.

- Focus on learning to get the most out of your car at first. If a driver like AJ or Craig or me can hop into your car and go over a second faster, then you can stand to improve the nut behind the wheel. You can always spend money later. Ask the guy with the $2k Civic with $10k of parts on it....

- Lots of good info on the OVR forum including how to get started. Go here: http://forum.ovr-scca.org/index.php?topic=838.0

- As Craig indicated, there are pro's and con's to all the clubs. SCCA tends to be bigger events with more structure as needed to get 6 runs to a 120+ drivers. Marque clubs tend to have 30 - 50 entrants so it is more laid back and you get more runs. But, there is also less competition, and the courses tend to be a bit tighter. Try all of them.

Like I said, look me up.

I would love to go on saturday but i work 8am-4pm. Is there a site with all the dates or is it just every saturday?.. Sticky tires aren't suitable for street, or just some? I downloaded the pdf of the scca rules, and was wondering if using energy suspension bushing kit would bump me out of stock. we can order it at work for 179.99, the shifter is wobbly and the bushings for that are in the kit.

1. Show up

2. Drive Civic stock

3. Go home and ponder

4. Sell Civic

5. Buy Miata

6. AutoX champion.

Hmmmm.... well personally I really dont like miatas, and the civic has a backseat for the munchkin.. if i were to get a different car it would either be a newer hatch with a dohc or a manual altima.

I would love to go on saturday but i work 8am-4pm. Is there a site with all the dates or is it just every saturday?.. Sticky tires aren't suitable for street, or just some? I downloaded the pdf of the scca rules, and was wondering if using energy suspension bushing kit would bump me out of stock. we can order it at work for 179.99, the shifter is wobbly and the bushings for that are in the kit.

No, we run on Sunday's too. We have some events in July on Sundays.

Schedule --> http://www.ovr-scca.org/_autocross/schedules.asp

I would agree with what most of the guys said here. 'Run what you brung' and go from there. Once you feel like you have squeezed every last drop of performance out of the car, time to upgrade parts/tires/etc.

I, too, am happy to give ride alongs.

Hope to see you out at some of the events.

+1 for stock tires.

Limited grip will force you to start concentrating on smoothness right out of the gate and get you more "in tune" with the car you drive daily too, rather than masking mistakes with added grip you wouldn't normally have on the street.

While I agree with most people here about run it as it is right now, to answer your question not all sticky tires aren't suitable for the street. The Direzza StarSpecs that were mentioned earlier are great. My boss told me about them because he used them as rain tires for his Auto-X car. I bought them for my car and ran them year round (lots of people didn't recommend it for winter use but, I never had a problem). I got good life out of them and great traction 3 seasons of the year and not terrible in the winter.