Purchasing a gun from a dealer

87GT

Here is something I haven't seen debated on CR. How do you feel about an individual legally buying a gun who also legally uses marijuana? To clarify I mean an individual who went to a doctor and was prescribed medical marijuana as allowed by state law. When you fill out the paperwork from a dealer one of the questions is if you are addicted or a user of illicit drugs or marijuana. Does this only refer to use of drugs only when illegal in the state, or do you not care about the state law and deny the sale?

Well, you're filling out a form (4473) for a federal background check. Due to that, with federal law still prohibiting marijuana use, I would have to deny the sale. It's not principle at that point, the feds are dicks. If it were a state form then the question of "are you an unlawful user of..." would no longer apply in the same way.

Well, you're filling out a form (4473) for a federal background check. Due to that, with federal law still prohibiting marijuana use, I would have to deny the sale. It's not principle at that point, the feds are dicks. If it were a state form then the question of "are you an unlawful user of..." would no longer apply in the same way.

This

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?[/Quote]

I agree that since it is a federal form and under federal law marijuana is both illegal and a controlled substance and both are specifically stated, that you would have to check the box marked "Yes".