Help finding hard drive for PS3, please.

ImUrOBGYN

Anyone have some good ideas for a PS3 hard drive repalcement/upgrade?

It's a 2.5" SATA. 5600 or preferably 7200rpm. 250gb minimum, please.

It gets used a lot! So, a reliable hard drive.

Any ideas or good deals you currently know of, please let me know. I'm open to used ones but only if it's a really good deal and there's some way to assure me is hasn't had too much use.

Thank you.

this is what I bought/installed

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+Scorpio+Blue+500GB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Hard+Drive+for+Laptops/9172799.p?id=1218044489855&skuId=9172799

I wanted a 1TB HD but at that time nothing was available, I have ton of DLC stuff installed, along with PSP game data/saves and PS Vita data/saves

I also used a WD scorpio blue a few years ago.

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

not as fast as you want, but I'm sure you can find a similar one with the speed you need. I was just commenting on the reliability. I've never had an issue, and it gets used a lot.

I also used a WD scorpio blue a few years ago.

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

not as fast as you want, but I'm sure you can find a similar one with the speed you need. I was just commenting on the reliability. I've never had an issue, and it gets used a lot.

I was gonna go with something faster but I was told it could overheat my PS3 not sure if that's true or not, so I just went with the bigger HD with the recommended factory specs

Not to thread jack, but what is involved in swapping in a drive. I know I can physically replace the drive, but what about the OS? I was thinking about swapping in a solid state drive on mine.

nothing, swap in, thats it. os isn't stored on the hdd.

Also a SSD will net you nothing. the SATA controller inside there is utter shit, and wont gain any noticeable increases

can you use the SATA 6.0Gb/s connection or do you have to use SATA 3.0Gb/s? is there a improvement seen if going with the 6.0Gb/s in a ps3? i not sure what it uses on the factory drive.

you can use any of them, they are all backwards compatible. It won't make a difference, all will be slow.

You'll be lucky to even see SATA 1 speeds on a PS3.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334238

Seemed like a decent deal. I actually meant to order it yesterday and forgot until I saw this thread again just now. lol

a computer wiz advised me to stay away from Seagate products based on his experience but I just bought what Best Buy had in stock at that time(Western Digital) because I wanted the extra HD space ASAP, although I've heard negative things about WD too.

Next question is have you swapped a PS3 before? it can be time consuming if you wanna transfer all of your saved data, plus installing the latest PS3 Version on the new HD

a computer wiz advised me to stay away from Seagate products based on his experience but I just bought what Best Buy had in stock at that time(Western Digital) because I wanted the extra HD space ASAP, although I've heard negative things about WD too.

Next question is have you swapped a PS3 before? it can be time consuming if you wanna transfer all of your saved data, plus installing the latest PS3 Version on the new HD

That's the problem. I've had good luck with them but I know some haven't. I feel like it's that way with just about every well-known brand. :confused: I figure for $60 if it'll last thru half the shit this hd goes thru, it'll be worth it.

As far as transfering shit over, etc, I've got no problems with the whole process. (Also, keep in mind even if my hd had a ton o shite to move, it'd still be just under 40gigs. lol)