Backpacking in North Carolina

unfunnyryan

I did a lot of work up on the mountains there and used to hear bears quite often and there were signs posted eveywhere about bears. Never saw one though. Very cool all around Asheville, all kinds of shit to see. There's a natural waterslide that usually has a bunch of bitches at it in the afternoon on Saturdays

Hike with someone slower than you = bear solution.

I would be mindful of snakes in your campsites and on the trails, but that's just me. I've dealt with brown and black bears and with rattlesnakes. I much prefer the bears to the snakes.

But in srsness I think the appalachian trail may run thru NC.

yeah, and that's where I saw most of the bear signs, and Doc is right about the snakes, those shits were everywhere. Chiggers suck too.

My mom just moved to West Jefferson NC and all they do is go hiking on the weekends. I dont think they have encountered anything too wild. I will ask her what part of NC they actually go to, I know they live in the mountains lol.

The only thing good about West Jefferson was they still had pop machines around the town that you could get a brand name can for like 30¢.

A quick look, yes. Make sure you get a Bear Canister.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

This.

Also, be aware that there are copperheads and rattlesnakes. Simple safety precautions should make everything fine.

Hiked up Mt. LeConte in TN a month or so ago. I was informed of bears. Here's what I have on me during a hike.

On my pocket.

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/7/1748/large-KS1620CLARGE.jpg

On my left pack strap for quick access.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/13/e4/1b6c_35.JPG

On my hip with 17 rounds.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=581&pictureid=4642

...I saw 2 chipmunks and a falcon.

I'll take this solution with me. Thanks for the input.

http://i.imgur.com/RSXiql.jpg

Ok, but that wouldn't be my first choice for dealing with a bear.

If you MUST carry a bear defense weapon, Bear Spray would be more effective then a handgun. Just as much range, proven effective, and easier to aim when you are pumped up on adrenaline. Read up on some of the hiking & backpacking forums, and see what other's suggest.

KillJoy

Hike with someone slower than you = bear solution.

I would be mindful of snakes in your campsites and on the trails, but that's just me. I've dealt with brown and black bears and with rattlesnakes. I much prefer the bears to the snakes.

lol That's pretty much what I always say. You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your friend... or be close enough to trip them. ;)

Oh, and I truly wonder just how many of you could calmly stand your ground, take aim, and take down an enraged, charging bear. haha Holy shit. Everyone's a boss. ;) Carry some bear spray, too. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

If you MUST carry a bear defense weapon, Bear Spray would be more effective then a handgun. Just as much range, proven effective, and easier to aim when you are pumped up on adrenaline. Read up on some of the hiking & backpacking forums, and see what other's suggest.

KillJoy

I agree. If you get them in the eyes they are immediately blinded. Bear can't do much good then. Maybe I can take some snakeshot with me though in case a snake gets too friendly.

I think I have extra time to plan now for this trip, since my parents are going to texas around the same time, and want me to watch their house for them.

Bear activity in the areas around the Smokies will depend on the time of the year you want to do this trip. They don't have much of a winter in that area, so the bears are very active all year long. During the winter months, they will move toward deeper into the park. Once spring comes, they normally start moving toward more populated areas. Not saying you still won't run into one in the middle of the park during the summer months, but the chances does go down.

I make many trips a year to the GSM, and I almost always see bears there. I was just there before Memorial Day weekend and ran into a mother and cub feet off the trails up to Clingmans Dome. The Appalachian Trail runs right to the top of Clingmans Dome. If you are going to be doing some deep woods trails, take some bear spray. Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it.

Where are you staying in Asheville?

They have a ton of good craft beers at the downtown bars.

You're tellin me! I've been drinking every night and I'm pretty surprised I haven't knocked a bartender up yet. I'm actually staying in a house in Black Mountain, but working on phase 2 of the court house... What a mess.