Lettuce talk Rangers

BigOxley

Don't want to spend more than $3000. Looking for a small pickup to make Lowes trips n' stuff. Came down to +2000 Rangers 4 or 6 cylinder 2wd. Nothing fancy. this thing would probably be used a couple of time a month.

I found a 2003 regular cab with the V6 and a 178k miles.

Anything I should watch out for? Any other makes that would be a better option?

thanks

I know where an 89 ranger with a 2.3 turbo out of an SVO is with less than 100,000 miles is for cheap. Imo that's still the toughest built ranger they made. Let me know if your interested and ill get you info

I know where an 89 ranger with a 2.3 turbo out of an SVO is with less than 100,000 miles is for cheap. Imo that's still the toughest built ranger they made. Let me know if your interested and ill get you info

how's the body? i'm wanting something solid.

I have one for sale that's obviously too new for you.

That said, the trucks have been mechanically identical suspension wise since 1998. The 2wd trucks have coil spring front, whereas 4wd and Sport/Edge model 2wd trucks have torsion bar front suspension. The 4.0L V6 has been around forever, and they first started using the Duratec 2.3 4-cylinder (DOHC - truck-specific version of the 2.3 w/o variable timing + forged crank) in 2001. The 3.0 "vulcan" V6 was offered in the middle there somewhere, and it's a decent motor, but doesn't make much power and is basically a car engine they decided to put in the ranger.

If I you're not going to tow/haul more than 1000-2000 lbs, I'd look for a 4-cylinder truck 2001+. If you're planning on doing much heavier work, I'd look for a V6 truck, specifically the 4.0L. The 3.0 V6 has basically no more power than the 01+ 4 cylinders, but just gets worse mileage.

Also, if there is something you like/dislike more from year to year on the trucks, they haven't really changed the body/interior very often. Parts interchange from year to year like legos.

^Avoid the 3.0, abysmal fuel economy even for a Ranger and it can't get out of it's own way. Of course IMO you should avoid a Ranger entirely, but that's me.

i disagree ive had a few rangers and love them. Its no full size truck by anymeans. but ive had a s10 and rangers and hands down ranger anyhow.

great mpg reliable as hell, metric ton of parts availble, lots of aftermarket support if you wanna play.

personally get a 4cyl 5 speed and your good to go

I had a 98 2.3 5 speed 2wd and it was sooooo slow. It was a good truck though. My dad had a 95 3.0 v6 5 speed 2wd and it was by far the worst truck ive driven. I liked the 2.3 better. I also had a sport trac with the 4.0 and it was a tank. Id much rather have all the extra power and 2 less mpg.