Bobbers

Hahn

Has anyone on here ever built/modified a bike to a bobber? Iv been looking at bikes and the Harley 48 is the kind of bike that i liked. But after looking around on line i saw that you can build a bobber yourself for around 5k (Harley is 10k). Minimal reading made it seem like its something that can be done fairly easily, just trying to find out if this is true or not. And please dont bash this thread saying "dreaming, and never will actually do it", etc.

I have been helping a friend of mine turn his 1977 Honda GL1000 into a bobber. The restoration is about 90% complete at this point. It is not my bike, but I do own a GL1000 of my own. Is your goal with this thread to find advice on turning a Harley 48 into a bobber? If so, then the Harley 48 would be a fantastic bike to do this with. However, if you are wanting to go cheaper, then there are plenty of other options out there for you. What are you looking for out of the bike? American or other? Big or smaller bike? Large displacement or smaller displacement? Price range? Provide a little more info.

I have been helping a friend of mine turn his 1977 Honda GL1000 into a bobber. The restoration is about 90% complete at this point. It is not my bike, but I do own a GL1000 of my own. Is your goal with this thread to find advice on turning a Harley 48 into a bobber? If so, then the Harley 48 would be a fantastic bike to do this with. However, if you are wanting to go cheaper, then there are plenty of other options out there for you. What are you looking for out of the bike? American or other? Big or smaller bike? Large displacement or smaller displacement? Price range? Provide a little more info.

Not looking at turning the 48 into a bobber, thats just what gave me the inspiration. Looking for an older/cheaper Harley frame, with a Harley 1200 motor. From what ive read on line it sounds like its something you can do in your garage in a month or so depending on time and do it for less than $5-7500. Im assuming that since theres so little parts involved in a bobber/rat bike, that it makes it this cheap. I would be going a simple route, flat black all with red wheels. Hope that helps a little more. Basically just trying to find out if what i want is possible with that little money, and basic tools (going elsewhere for welding, etc.)

Not looking at turning the 48 into a bobber, thats just what gave me the inspiration. Looking for an older/cheaper Harley frame, with a Harley 1200 motor. From what ive read on line it sounds like its something you can do in your garage in a month or so depending on time and do it for less than $5-7500. Im assuming that since theres so little parts involved in a bobber/rat bike, that it makes it this cheap. I would be going a simple route, flat black all with red wheels. Hope that helps a little more. Basically just trying to find out if what i want is possible with that little money, and basic tools (going elsewhere for welding, etc.)

A 77 Sportster sounds like a winner to me. You could file for a lost title and go from there.

I have a 1975 GL1000 Goldwing in my garage that I was going to turn into a rat bike. I disassembled it and left the frame outside so it could rust. My plan was successful, but I dunno if I will ever get time to finish it. I was going to make it look something like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4qnrMzfggCc/TtaZybHmziI/AAAAAAAAGHs/1sFtm9ekkAE/s1600/goldwing-rat-bobber_mondo-lulu-photo.jpg

If that interests you, then I could work something out on it as well. Not only that, but a price budget of $5-7k is REALLY high for a rat bike, Sportster or not. If you have that budget, then you could build something NICE, not rat. If a Harley is what you want, then stay persistent with it. If you decide that a non-Harley would be fine, then let me know and I can give you all kinds of ideas with that budget.

A 77 Sportster sounds like a winner to me. You could file for a lost title and go from there.

I have a 1975 GL1000 Goldwing in my garage that I was going to turn into a rat bike. I disassembled it and left the frame outside so it could rust. My plan was successful, but I dunno if I will ever get time to finish it. I was going to make it look something like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4qnrMzfggCc/TtaZybHmziI/AAAAAAAAGHs/1sFtm9ekkAE/s1600/goldwing-rat-bobber_mondo-lulu-photo.jpg

If that interests you, then I could work something out on it as well. Not only that, but a price budget of $5-7k is REALLY high for a rat bike, Sportster or not. If you have that budget, then you could build something NICE, not rat. If a Harley is what you want, then stay persistent with it. If you decide that a non-Harley would be fine, then let me know and I can give you all kinds of ideas with that budget.

Ive even got a solo seat, bolt on hardtail, etc.

I don't have a bobber but I am working on turning my Honda CB450 into a "brat style" bike. A few friends have bobbed Yamaha XS650s and 80s/90s Sportsters, though. An XS project can be completed for under $2k easily.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/smokineagle/Bike5-1.jpg

a lot of people turn old kawasaki kz750's into bobbers. they aren't very powerful (55hp, I don't remember the torque rating), but they are cheap and fairly easy to work on. I think a lot of people use old cb750's as well for bobber projects.

55hp is not bad for a 70s bike, you'd be surprised how quickly they can move out with jets/exhaust and a sprocket. The point isn't to go "fast" on them anyway...

ya I know, I had a 76 kz750 for a while (it was jetted and had pod filters). I understand about bobbers not being fast, but the power band got tiresome quickly for me. a 1200 harley motor would be a great platform though. I love the sound of a harley with pipes.

ya I know, I had a 76 kz750 for a while (it was jetted and had pod filters). I understand about bobbers not being fast, but the power band got tiresome quickly for me. a 1200 harley motor would be a great platform though. I love the sound of a harley with pipes.

Agreed.

Good info here. But im not looking to start just yet (still in Afghan), thinking this would be a good winter project. I think if my step dad (alot of the help), is willing to help this winter, then its a go. Guess well just have to see after i get back though.