SPARC (Cooper Park)

zeitgeist57

I volunteered for Bill and Joe Sugar as well on this with all the BZA meetings and such. I'm surprised not more of CR is commenting. I think this is going to be an amazing thing for the area. I think Jeff Gordon Racing is still signed up for space as well...

• 3 months later...
Thanks for posting the link. I have not followed this as close as I wanted. Everything in that animation looks great. I would love to see this place done. Only thing they didn't show was motor bikes, but that means nothing in just an animation.

WE: During the 2012 Olympics someone on CU commented that they had fun watching BMX racing and would love to see that kind of sport live in Columbus if it takes place at SPARC.

BS: There’s a piece of the old stadium that we were going to take down, but we decided not to because the structure’s already there to create some of the ramping that we need for a skateboard half-pipe or for BMX chute. We see action sports as a major element to what can be done here. The other thing that’s important to understand is that we can have multiple venues operating at the same time on this site.

Thats pretty cool!

They have all kinds of stuff they want to do with it, the last animation I saw showed motocross stuff being held there(and it states that in the article).

Anyone notice the infield being paved on there?? That was in idea proposed by the SCCA guys who put forth a lot of effort to push this developent through and fought off the idiots, I hope they go through with it.

There wasn't any issue when we would autocross there frequently with no sound walls....I mean Phil Alspach's "Mazola" pre decibel restraints was unbelievably loud.

I remember a city councilman finding it pretty funny when he found out we had been racing there for years with no previous complaints, that pretty much gave the noise idiots no ground to stand on at all.

There wasn't any issue when we would autocross there frequently with no sound walls....I mean Phil Alspach's "Mazola" pre decibel restraints was unbelievably loud.

Thats not tecnicly true. We had lots of sound complaints, to the point we had decibel readers there a the time. Alex with the black intregra (#8) i think was told he couldn't come back till it was quieter. ( that part i was told happened, i cant back it up)

• 1 year later...

Its weird whats goin on with thier website. They havent let the domain lapse, just taken the site down.

Columbus Underground is going trough an update right now so ic ant get to thier forums to look at the update that was on the cooper thread in december.

Ok, so the thread finally loaded and SUPPOSEDLY ground breaking was January 10th. (that was the perceived date as of December 27th.

I havent been down there lately, but maybe ill drive be and see what i see.

But its been SO snowy and cold, they may have delayed it.

Still reseraching. :)

From a reliable source:

"There are already some preparations for the heavy demolition taking place within the stadium (removing things that need to be saved/stored) and there will be some noticeable activity very soon, probably within two or three weeks.

I can say that the long wait will be worth it. This facility is going to have features unlike any other.

The website is being enhanced as well"

From a reliable source:

"There are already some preparations for the heavy demolition taking place within the stadium (removing things that need to be saved/stored) and there will be some noticeable activity very soon, probably within two or three weeks.

I can say that the long wait will be worth it. This facility is going to have features unlike any other.

The website is being enhanced as well"

I think we have the same source. ;)

I just came to basicly say the same thing.

• 1 month later...