Speeding Ticket

351mach11647545510

Got my first one in almost 8 years, yesterday on my way home from NC. 70 in a 55 on 52 in winston-Salem. Is it worth trying to fight/have reduced to a lesser violation by the time added court cost are involved? My insurance agent said it would probably increase my rates roughly $60 every 6 months for the next 3 years.

Why fight it? If you were driving 70 in a 55, man up and face the consequences.

I dont recall whining and moaning about a BS ticket. Just want to know which is the lesser cost. And yes. State farm said I would lose my good driver discount which is what would up my rates.

Is whatever effort put into it worth $360? And what are the chances of pleading down?

KillJoy

thats what im weighing. Thats also with my current vehicles, so im also trying to think about a loss of discount on maybe a more expensive vehicle to insure, within that period or adding an additional vehicle cost. Hoping someone with experience plea-ing (sp?) down tickets and maybe even that area or state, can chime in on if I would even have a good chance at it.

:dumb:

KillJoy

That guy is really one dimensional, just looks at his post history.

Do you want to fight it yourself? Chances are you won't be able to do anything without an attorney, at the point it's going to cost more than it's worth imo. Start with calling and trying to work a deal to reduce the ticket to something without points.

That guy is really one dimensional, just looks at his post history.

Do you want to fight it yourself? Chances are you won't be able to do anything without an attorney, at the point it's going to cost more than it's worth imo. Start with calling and trying to work a deal to reduce the ticket to something without points.

Never even thought about the possibility of calling and maybe getting some results. Figured it all had to be done in front of the judge

Never even thought about the possibility of calling and maybe getting some results. Figured it all had to be done in front of the judge

Trust me they wont give two shits about an out of town driver or his insurance points.

If you dont wantg the points pay 350 to a lawyer and get it handled.

and I ask you, why not? Maybe I want to keep speeding and would rather end up with 1 speeding on my record, than 2

Then step one, invest in a radar detector.

I've had friends and family members that have fought tickets them selves. Even with pleading guilty and giving explanation for speeding, they still received points. Insurance did not go up.

The only person I know that had success hired an attorney, and the cop didn't shop up. So all he had to do was pay court fees.

Plea deals are handled through the prosecutor, the judge simply says ok to that. Call and say you plan to plead not guilty to the speeding ticket and will request a trial by jury. Say you are willing to plead to a non-moving violation if they will amend the charge.

Trust me they wont give two shits about an out of town driver or his insurance points.

If you dont wantg the points pay 350 to a lawyer and get it handled.

Ok, glad to see we have an attorney present. You cannot make generalized statements about the variety of prosecutors throughout the country. Every place will have different practices about handling these types of inquiries.

Then step one, invest in a radar detector.

I've had friends and family members that have fought tickets them selves. Even with pleading guilty and giving explanation for speeding, they still received points. Insurance did not go up.

The only person I know that had success hired an attorney, and the cop didn't shop up. So all he had to do was pay court fees.

radar detectors only work when they read the signal from a radar gun being used. chances are, by that point you're toast. And if not, cop wasn't lockin on you to begin with

radar detectors only work when they read the signal from a radar gun being used. chances are, by that point you're toast. And if not, cop wasn't lockin on you to begin with
plus, im not even sure he was using radar. I didn't pass him on the side, looked up and saw him behind me all of a sudden then lit me up

plus, im not even sure he was using radar. I didn't pass him on the side, looked up and saw him behind me all of a sudden then lit me up

Likely nailed you from behind while hiding hiding on the entrance ramp. Worthington does this on 315 at 161.

Got my first one in almost 8 years, yesterday on my way home from NC. 70 in a 55 on 52 in winston-Salem. Is it worth trying to fight/have reduced to a lesser violation by the time added court cost are involved? My insurance agent said it would probably increase my rates roughly $60 every 6 months for the next 3 years.

I also recently received a ticket in NC and went through the same thought process.

I was guilty as sin and was not worried about the fine, just the points. I made some calls and here is what I found out:

- They WILL NOT allow to plea the case down over the phone in NC. The only way you can plea down is by going to your court date. I live in Ohio...not worth the expense.

- Get a lawyer in NC to handle this for you. Trust me; the lawyers there are vultures...you will be receiving at least 20 mailers from local lawyers promising you the world for a measly $100-200 PLUS the cost of the ticket.

- Points are NOT TRANSFERED to Ohio from NC. Our states are not reciprocal. Neither is PA or Michigan (I’ve had tickets there, too). I specifically asked what would happen if I did not pay the ticket. I was told that the individual states BMV's are finally connected, but it takes months for data to be transferred. No bench warrants, suspended Ohio license, etc. The worst thing that would happen is eventually NC would suspend my license and then eventually it would get to Ohio and they could suspend my license but it is highly unlikely.

At the end of the day, I decided that I was guilty and since the points do not transfer to my Ohio license and that it will not be reported to my insurance, I simply paid my $218.00 fine + $5.90 online processing fee to pay electronically and called it a day.

The fine itself was only $30 (79 in a 65) but the mandatory court costs were $188.00. If I had to pay those fee’s regardless, plus additional attorney fee's and court costs to plea down to a non-moving violation, it wasn't worth it.

I did a little further digging and you may want to thoroughly read your ticket. From what I read, going 15 over in NC (depends on the county) requires a mandatory court appearance.

I'm sure I was going more than 15+ but I was on my bike at 10PM and the cop was nice.

Give the county a call and I'm sure they will be honest and up front with you. All they really want is your money.

Hope this helps,

Marc

• Upvote 1