2005 F150 Test Pipe

C-Mart

I have become admittedly bad at working on my own cars since I live downtown on a main road. My mechanic told me one of my cats was getting clogged and I refuse to fork out the $600 he wanted for a new one.

Does anyone sell test pipes aka bolt on straight through pieces in place of the cat converters?

Are these guttable?

2005 4 door F150 with a 5.4

I have become admittedly bad at working on my own cars since I live downtown on a main road. My mechanic told me one of my cats was getting clogged and I refuse to fork out the $600 he wanted for a new one.

Does anyone sell test pipes aka bolt on straight through pieces in place of the cat converters? EBay...will end up with a check engine light and a lean condition with out programming it.

Are these guttable?Yes...will end up with a check engine light and a lean condition with out programming it.

2005 4 door F150 with a 5.4

You will need to have it tuned if you eliminate the catalytic convertors.

Why would I need to get it tuned?

And no, but I am sure I could call and find out. I know it is driver's side, but that doesn't help.

Because their is a post catalytic convertor oxygen sensor that sends a signal to the ECU. The ECU then compares the post catalytic signal to the pre catalytic signal to ensure that the catalytic convertor is doing it's job and cleaning the exhaust. As a default if the catalytic convertor is not functioning properly, the car leans itself out to limit the amount of hydrocarbons in the exhaust. So if you get it tuned, you can get the post catalytic sensors "shut off". The ECU no longer looks for this signal or changes the fuel mixture.

Because their is a post catalytic convertor oxygen sensor that sends a signal to the ECU. The ECU then compares the post catalytic signal to the pre catalytic signal to ensure that the catalytic convertor is doing it's job and cleaning the exhaust. As a default if the catalytic convertor is not functioning properly, the car leans itself out to limit the amount of hydrocarbons in the exhaust. So if you get it tuned, you can get the post catalytic sensors "shut off". The ECU no longer looks for this signal or changes the fuel mixture.

Interesting...

So it looks like the weld in ones from Jegs would be my best bet?

It may also not hurt to have someone from the board with a scan tool take a quick look at it. It may be a bad or lazy o2 sensor. I would hope it was diagnosed right but, a second opinion never hurts. I rarely have ever had a bad catalytic convertor come in for failure/clogging but have replaced o2 sensors by the dozen. If you are in the Marysville area I would be happy to look at it.

I appreciate the offer, but I am unfortunately not in that area.

The shop scanned it and nothing O2 related came up.

Plus, a bad O2 would not cause the rattle sound it is making.

I have heard the heat shields can loosen up, but I need to get under there to see what is going on.

They said the cats need to be replaced because they are making a rattling noise.

Nothing bad under regular driving, but if you are in an alley/drive up window you can hear a really annoying rattling sound.

Take a rubber mallet and hit the convertor. If it rattles then it needs replaced to stop the rattling. Personally I would deal with it till it caused a problem and tripped a light. I understand that some people would get annoyed with the noise and replace it though.