Toyota Folks: 01-04 Rav 4 Questions

Nate1647545505

So with more and more animals staying with us, I've started looking at small SUVs, namely the RAV4 and CRV.

I can get a killer deal on an 02 Rav4, but it seems there are some issues with early generation; Here's the beans:

I pulled the 02's VIN through Toyota's site, found out the ECM and trans had been recently replaced. That's a good thing as the 01-02's seem to eat transmissions due to shotty programming of the trans line apply pressures.

Work was done by the dealer, replaced with a remanufactured trans, new ECM with updated code.

When my brother pulled the RPO, there are notes regarding a steering clunk when turning near or at lock in either direction. Google brings up a huge mess on anything from immediate shaft replacement, to whole steering rack,pinion,column replacement. Any solid ideas on that?

Otherwise, the truck looks to be in good shape, just not sure if that should be a deal breaker on something that is 12 years old.

:dumb:

I have worked at Toyota for 2 years.. The 02 rav4's were junk. We had so many issues with them.

To sum it up, when customer would complain of harsh shifting / slippage first step Toyota would make us replace the ECM. Tell customer to drive it to let it relearn (line of shit because they came back in a week with same issues). Next step replace transmission with rebuilt trans.

After replacing trans, we still had a couple come back for a 2nd transmission.

They had multiple suspension, steering issues.

I've replaced a ton of intermediate steering shafts on those.

If your looking for that year / body style I would pick Crv over the rav. Now the newer rav4's are very nice. I have still replaced a couple intermediate steering shafts on them, but that's about it.

dont be confused though, the crv's have their own problems, the a/c systems in them are shit, struts, linkpins, and rear suspension bushings will be shot with something in that age range, it'll be due for a timing belt and waterpump shortly as well depending on mileage?