6.0 Diesel?

truckin

Anyone have experience with the 6.0 diesel? Looking at an 03 CC SD. I'm wanting to get back into a SD bad.

I know they kinda have gotten some bad press but from what i've read it's from improper maintance, EGR issues with the 04+ with the longer egr tubes that are more square and modded vehicles with the TTY bolts.

If you follow the maintance schedule and plan to remain stock it's a proven motor.

If you follow the maintance schedule and plan to remain stock it's a proven motor.

Not true. If you know all the facts then why are you here asking questions. I have worked on enough of them to know that maintance alone will not keep them healthy. Idle time will take a toll on a lot of engine parts, especially EGR parts. Shortly, EGR delete will let this engine run great. The EGR is the root of a high percentage of the problems with these engines. They can be a good running platform if you take care of it and eliminate some of the problem causing issues.

Not true. If you know all the facts then why are you here asking questions. I have worked on enough of them to know that maintance alone will not keep them healthy. Idle time will take a toll on a lot of engine parts, especially EGR parts. Shortly, EGR delete will let this engine run great. The EGR is the root of a high percentage of the problems with these engines. They can be a good running platform if you take care of it and eliminate some of the problem causing issues.

Damn man, didn't say I know all the facts that's why I am asking. From just quickly reading a few short articles it's what I quickly gathered.

These are the trucks u have to pull the cab off to service when egr issues develop right?

On all of these and newer many engine repairs warrant the cab coming off. It's actually the preferred method if you have a lift and can be done in 45 mins.

Damn man, didn't say I know all the facts that's why I am asking. From just quickly reading a few short articles it's what I quickly gathered.

Read what you wrote again. You asked a series of questions only to follow up with a statement in which to inform everyone of your known factual information, which in reality, was false.

No reason to loose any sleep, Let's move on.

Well thanks for the info guys. I'm not knowledgable at all when it comes to Diesels (which shows i know ) just trying to educate myself.

Now I've been told the newer 6.0's ( 06's) than say the 03-04's? Is that true. And If i do end up with a 6.0 for some reason an EGR Delete will solve alot of the potential issues?

run away from them, dude. especially if you don't know much about diesels. i don't know shit about diesels, but know enough to stay away from those. one way to become an expert in a hurry is to buy one as your daily and have it constantly break down---you'll be an expert in no time

run away from them, dude. especially if you don't know much about diesels. i don't know shit about diesels, but know enough to stay away from those. one way to become an expert in a hurry is to buy one as your daily and have it constantly break down---you'll be an expert in no time

I <3 your posts.

On all of these and newer many engine repairs warrant the cab coming off. It's actually the preferred method if you have a lift and can be done in 45 mins.

agred.

read up. i found this when i was looking into buying a 6.0 powerstroke and decided to stay away from a 6.0 and just wait a little longer till i could find the right 7.3 for me and also pay cash. the 6.0 is a decent motor if your willing to put some money into it right away to save your ass down the road. i decided to sterr clear because i would be paranoid driving it know that at any moment i could be sitting on a 5k repair bill on a truck i would still be paying on. if not get a 7.3 still get atleast 20mpg on the highway.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

this is good area to look. shows all the down falls of the different ford diesels as well as a break down of common issues to look for.

http://leftcoastdiesel.com/wordpress/?page_id=79

also check out mid west diesel. a buddy of mine and his dad always buy there trucks from there. ( they have bought 3 so far in the past 2 years ) usually have some pretty decent deals. right now they dont really have a 6.0 id buy but they do have a nice 7.3 with high miles for under 10k.

have 5k saved up to be safe to put into the 6.0 then you wont regret it. id love another superduty as well. i had a nice black 99 superduty. but it had the v10. talk about piss poor mileage. so ill wait a year or so till i have the cash and pick up a crew cab shortbed 7.3

EGR delete, dpf delete are common mods to keep them running better longevity wise. Biggest thing on the 6.0 is the potential for the head studs though. Weak ass factory ons = no good later on.

Get a studded engine, egr and dpf delete and you be pretty good. The 08- to 2010 6.4 are a better overall platform, just more money. Same issue with the EGR but once you delete that, your good to go. EGR delete is couple hundred bucks and can take a reasonably skilled person about 4 to 6 hours to do.

Sure, and how many PS diesels have YOU owned and wrenched on? OP asked for info, I gave that as opposed to coming in and adding useless posts. But then again, that's what 85 % of CR does...

Temper tantrum lol

Ill stick with my p-pump 6bt

Sure, and how many PS diesels have YOU owned and wrenched on? OP asked for info, I gave that as opposed to coming in and adding useless posts. But then again, that's what 85 % of CR does...

And you gave an even worse off engine option instead.

So both 6.0 and 6.4 fords are junk?

What's best diesel truck to get for sub 15k? Just curious, would love a crew cab long bed dually in the next year or so but not ready just yet. Love the fords look though.

Cummins?

That's what I just bought, no problems yet. Both myself and my father have cummins trucks, both 6.7s.

Ford tech buddy has bad things to say about 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes, and slightly better things to say about the 6.7 powerstrokes. That's about the only input I have.

I know I can work on the cummins motors (basic maintenance/mods) in my own garage by myself.

Idk 3000 or so 6.0s

300 6.4s