Reliability / opinons on 2011/12 Equinox

iwashmycar

My buddy and I have been talking about a new vehicle for his wife. He was looking into the Escapes, but recently tested out a new Equinox down at what was Bob McDormans (Jeff Wyler I guess).

I told him I'd make a thread on here since there are a few techs, ect.

He is looking at the base models w/ a 4 cyl. - 2wd due to cost reasons. He also mentioned there are discounts since he is in the Army for the Equinox which made the deal pretty decent.

Anywho... any apparent and common problems on them as of yet?

I had driven a '11 from SC to OH last Xmas as a rental. I think it had to have had the 4cyl... I thought it was a dog. He said it felt pretty peppy. We both werent a fan of the torque steer

Isnt it basically a Malibu?

TIA

tl;dr - :) or :mad:

i havent done alot of research on them, but i believe they had the GM intermediate steering shaft issue or something like it. other than that it has an ecotech 4 banger in it, those are some good motors.

performance wise, from what ive been told, the 6 cylinder isnt much quicker due to higher gearing to help with gas mileage.

Yeah with that 4 banger, I got well over 500 miles / tank on our mainly highway trip.

Another question for those in the know.... Can they get leather without a big frilly options package? Pretty much just want base with leather.

How big of a POS has yet to be seen, but I would not want one outside of warranty. I have had both the 3.6 and 2.4 engines apart. They both have shitty valvetrain components, and GM's FWD 6 speed auto doesn't last long either. So like I said if I was going to keep it only as long as it's covered by GM's 5 year/100k mile warranty.

True they are so new. I have heard anything 09 and earlier is junk... transmission as usual is probably one of the main concerns. 100K is a damn long time though lol. By then itll be another $3000 chebby

I still like the damned Escapes personally (not the ugly new Focus ones)

They are a bit bigger then the Escape and the extra rear seat leg room is nice. We have a 2010 2LT AWD 2.4L. You can get a 2LT optioned out almost equal to an LTZ, minus the memory seat, Pioneer audio, and a few other odds and ends.

We have had no problems with ours and it has 55k miles on it. The 2.4L is a little anemic at times, but it's only ~.1 second slower 0-60 than the 6 cylinder, due to the 6's crappy gearing. The 6 is really only good if you are towing. For us it wasn't worth the mileage difference.

We also have 3 2011 LTZ AWD 4 cylinder's and one 2010 3.0L V6 LTZ at work and we haven't had any major problems with them. They get driven a lot, and usually get driven hard. A few of the 2011's already have ~30k miles. The only complaint we usually get is guys saying they think they're slow. Personally, I hate the gearing and the transmission calibration on the V6.

Good stuff. Ill pass on the info. I assume he'll be trying to get a deal together on one pretty soon sounds like.

FYI - during the week of mixed driving I could see an average of 22-25 mpg. The best I've ever gotten on average was a trip from Detroit to Columbus in the summer. I averaged over 27 mpg and I was doing 75-85 in Michigan and 68-75 in Ohio. And this is with an AWD.