TIG Welder recommendations

starkmaster03

I would like to hear from the guys that Tig weld and what type of welder they would recommend. I'm looking to buy one in the up coming months but have never Tig welded. I'm Mig welder quite a bit working in a shop but would like to learn how to Tig to do my own exhaust and mounting brackets. What should I look for when buying a Tig welder.

I have had a Miller EconoTIG for several years now and never had a single problem with it. Great for smaller jobs. You can pick them up used for ~$1200... or new for ~$1300. Water cooled torches are very nice if you are welding high amperage stuff or welding for extended periods of time. There have been times where I had to wrap another leather glove around my torch just so I could hold it without burning myself.

If you're a baller though definitely get one with a water cooled torch, pulse, AC balance adjustment.

I use a Diversion 165. It's an easy welder to use and costs around $1500 brand new with all the accessories. It's rated to 3/16" and welds in both AC and DC. It's a great welder for a hobbyist, someone just learning, or someone doing light(er) production welding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Just got home with it. It is in almost like new condition and was hardly used. I'm excited to can't wait to get it all together.

Yea the syncrowave is a great welder. Youll like it. The model you have is an older model but should last.

Im hoping to pick up that exact welder for around $700-900 from my employer (but ours dont look new and have thousands of hours on them)