Big Block Build

Nickey4271647545519

Picked up a 454 big block last august courtesy of Patterson. Had a wiped cam and I knew it was in need of a full rebuild.

Here it is the day I picked it up.

IMAG0297.jpg

Within 2 days I had it in class and fully torn down.

Balancer was on tight enough that I broke 2 pullers before getting it off.

When I received it, it had a 10qt oil pan on it as well. Along with full ARP hardware for the timing chain cover and oil pan.

IMAG0298.jpg

Inside was a Scat 9000 series crank, Scat forged pro-comp i-beams, and KB hypers.

Pistons and rods finally out.

IMAG0308.jpg

The cam and lifters were wiped as well. They took out all the bearings.

IMAG0310.jpg

And down to a bare block. Which is how it stayed up until last week.

IMAG0311.jpg

Brought it back and was finally able to get out what plugs were still left in it.

For cleaning I had two options. I could either shot peen or bake the block. I choose to bake the block. Baking takes the block to 500 degrees for about 40 minutes

Before

IMAG0419.jpg

After

IMAG0420.jpg

Turns most of the dirt/carbon/paint to ash.

IMAG0422.jpg

Finally clean after a run through the jet washer.

IMAG0425.jpg

Wet-magged it today as well and everything looks good.

what kinda power will it put out and whats it goin in? might as well bump it out to a 496 since ur in there.

:gabe:

Picking up a stroker kit tomorrow. Will be a 489 when I'm done.

No clues on power on the power level....it'll make 600 somewhere on the dyno graph with pump gas. With the 10.5:1 compression it'll be running, it leaves room for a blower and e85 down the road :masturboy:. It will be going in my dads 68 C10.

Got some work done with what little shop time I had today. Installed main studs and checked to see if I had to align hone. Spec is 2.937-2.938 and I'm right at 2.9375 so I won't have to be doing any align honing. I chose 1/2in. ARP studs with provisions for a windage tray.

Studs installed and waiting for the caps.

IMAG0427.jpg

TQed to spec with the caps installed.

IMAG0430.jpg

Got a decent bit of machining done on the block today. I square decked it. One deck was at 9.798" and the other was at 9.796", essentially the stock 9.8" deck height. Zero deck for new set up is 9.780. I ended up right at 9.7785 on both decks after machining. and I'm okay with that, as I'm already a little low compared to the compression I'd like to have.

Squaring fixture set up in the block. Theres a 90degree plate on the other side that we level off of to assure a square deck.

IMAG0433.jpg

It then got setup in the machine and decked.

IMAG0437.jpg

After all is said and done.

IMAG0434.jpg

This might be a deeper and less related question, but if BB's get your more displacement and tq whats the attraction to a v10 or v12? wouldnt the v10-v12s have more heat and thus less power per cubic inch?

That's not something I'm able to answer as I've not put a lot time in researching V10-12s. Guess its time to start studying up on them. :)

That's not something I'm able to answer as I've not put a lot time in researching V10-12s. Guess its time to start studying up on them. :)

For sure. By no means did i mean to ask you specifically, just throwing it out there. One of those things ive never understood but havent made it a point to research. :)

thanks for the info on the BBs.

Took the pistons out today. All measure right at 4.2776". Meaning I wanted a final bore of 4.282. I chose to make it a a little on the loose side as I plan on spraying some nitrous with this build.

Forged SRP Pistons. 18cc dome will create a 10.2:1 CR with my 119cc heads. Uses 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 Rings.

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

Instead of the traditional bore and hone. We decided to hone it over. We have diamond stones in our hones and create less/zero taper as compared to a true bore/hone, as the hone is almost fully computer controlled.

IMAG0444.jpg

Edited by Nickey427

Got to finish taking all my cylinders over today. After finishing, I went ahead and plateau honed each cylinder. This knocks down the peaks that even diamond honing leaves behind, thus aiding in ring sealing even more.

All finished with machining!

IMAG0448.jpg

Also took some time to grind of casting flash.

IMAG0447.jpg