windows & radio stop working intermittent

2 Sweet

What would cause this? My friend has a 98 Firebird, and while driving the radio will randomly shut off sometimes (aftermarket Pioneer head unit) and the power windows stop working. Everything else still works. After a few minutes they will start working again. Happens almost every time he drives the car.

Wiring issue? Bad relay?

Sounds like stuff on the retained accessory power part of the BCM, so the BCM is very likely. Haven't delt with anything quite like that first hand, hmmmm

So what I would do is check the circuitry from the BCM to the fuse panel, then disconnect the aftermarket radio and see if it still acts up, if it does it's most likely a BCM, but without checking it firsthand I don't want to tell you to run out and buy a BCM. At least those BCMs are not a big deal to install, once they are installed they learn the theft stuff on the first key-up (if you get a new one) I'm not sure about getting a used BCM, but you'd at least need to get the correct key resistance for it to start the car.

Edited by Cordell

What would cause this? My friend has a 98 Firebird, and while driving the radio will randomly shut off sometimes (aftermarket Pioneer head unit) and the power windows stop working. Everything else still works. After a few minutes they will start working again. Happens almost every time he drives the car.

Wiring issue? Bad relay?

Found your issue... :gabe:

This happened to a friends car when I was training at Gordon. The RAP relay is built into the BCM as stated. There are a few tutorials on soldering the PCB as they are prone to cracking. I was on a time hack and was able to wire around it. The feed from the IGN side can be wired straight through to the fuseblock side, this needs to he done on both latching and unlatching sides. The BCM is very easy to get to, and there are wiring diagrams on the net.