Auto Express UK: GT86 vs Audi TT vs 370Z

Draco-REX

I left myself open to that one. The test drive left me shocked, ask mr jones his opinion of it as well. He was with me, trying not to vomit from the ridiculous body sway, and bouncing of the car.

New 5.OH LOL

That car felt like a 6000lb wet cardboard box with the 5.0 bolted in.

Zero confidence, reminded me of driving around in the old 80's suburban we had years ago.

I'm sure with a bunch of suspension work and better wheels/tires it would be a marked improvement, but stock, it inspires ZERO confidence.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New 5.OH LOL

Zero confidence, reminded me of driving around in the old 80's suburban we had years ago.

I'm sure with a bunch of suspension work and better wheels/tires it would be a marked improvement, but stock, it inspires ZERO confidence.

Wait...I thought it's like an M3 killer and this and that...what's that all about? Everything I've read was about how fucking awesome it is. Coupled with the fact that they aren't the worst looking cars I've ever seen, I actually kind of liked them...which I HATED to admit.

Wait...I thought it's like an M3 killer and this and that...what's that all about? Everything I've read was about how fucking awesome it is. Coupled with the fact that they aren't the worst looking cars I've ever seen, I actually kind of liked them...which I HATED to admit.

I am 100% with you.

I envisioned I would love the new 5.0. ( I still think the motor is nice).

But the chassis still feels like a big giant car that struggles to remain composed. :fuuuu:

Nope, its an M3 "contender" according to motor trend and Championship Pro-driver Randy Pobst

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/viewall.html

weird... dont take car critiques from a couple CR boobs... who woulda thunk it :lol:

Nope, its an M3 "contender" according to motor trend and Championship Pro-driver Randy Pobst

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/viewall.html

weird... dont take car critiques from a couple CR boobs... who woulda thunk it :lol:

YOU SAID BOOBS

this graphic proves what Jones is talking about though. Alot of the modern cars are pretty quick around a track, pull impressive traction numbers thanks to modern rubber and good brakes but they still drive like a wet noodle in process.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/30181882+w786+ar1/2011-ford-mustang-GT-2011-BMW-m3-brake-dive.jpg

...besides we all know the best car in the world is an M3.

**side note - we're almost to page 3 and we've completely stopped talking about the BR-Z / FR-S / GT86. I hear they are nice but don't have enough power **

I am 100% with you.

I envisioned I would love the new 5.0. ( I still think the motor is nice).

But the chassis still feels like a big giant car that struggles to remain composed. :fuuuu:

Even I was less than impressed, and I'm a major Mustang squirrel.

Too damn heavy, like all the new American cars (except the Vette I guess). The interior is halfway decent though. I do like that.

this graphic proves what Jones is talking about though. Alot of the modern cars are pretty quick around a track, pull impressive traction numbers thanks to modern rubber and good brakes but they still drive like a wet noodle in process.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/30181882+w786+ar1/2011-ford-mustang-GT-2011-BMW-m3-brake-dive.jpg

...besides we all know the best car in the world is an M3.

**side note - we're almost to page 3 and we've completely stopped talking about the BR-Z / FR-S / GT86. I hear they are nice but don't have enough power **

Apparently i dont even exist, i brought it up, i drove the car, yet reply is to jonez.

My jimmie, officially rustled.

No you didnt. Brake dive and body sway are different.

And just about every reputable car reviewer has praised the handling to most extent as sharp and responsive... so does not compute...

maybe i should drive one myself to find out who's wrong.

Bottom line, if you're pulling 0.94-0.96g in a "muscle car", you're doing something right...

Perhaps that's the issue, it's not sports car, it's a "Muscle Car" as you have highlighted. Some traits you probably can't get rid off and still be able to stick on giant wrinkle wall tires and bang out 9's.

For a muscle car, I guess it's probably awesome.

No you didnt. Brake dive and body sway are different.

Completely agree. Most street cars adhere to the soft spring, big sway bar therory, it's the way to go for a street car that has to make compromises, but that much brake dive highlights the car doesn't have enough spring in it. Sways can only make up for soo much.

New 5.OH LOL

Which version did you drive and what options?

If it wasn't a GT track pack, BOSS, or GT500 I am not surprised. Most of the base cars are sold to people that want a soft ride. That's the problem with most American cars....people don't know what handling is. We are the 1% market that actually cares, otherwise you wouldn't see 99% of the stuff sold on the road...

That's like saying all Audi's handle like crap when really you wouldn't bother even looking at anything that wasn't an S or RS model... ;)

That's like saying all Audi's handle like crap when really you wouldn't bother even looking at anything that wasn't an S or RS model... ;)

But you don't have to buy an S/RS/M/AMG to get a good handling German car. Case in point, base model FWD TT, that's a mom's car. I know cause my mom has one :dumb:

I'd be willing to bet Andy's old FWD A4 isn't as wet noodle like. I know someone on here has driven both that would agree.

Which version did you drive and what options?

If it wasn't a GT track pack, BOSS, or GT500 I am not surprised. Most of the base cars are sold to people that want a soft ride. That's the problem with most American cars....people don't know what handling is. We are the 1% market that actually cares, otherwise you wouldn't see 99% of the stuff sold on the road...

I drove a 2013 premium, leather, xenons, 19" wheel option, 3.55 gear, 6mt. He was the passenger. It was a helatious experience.

But you don't have to buy an S/RS/M/AMG to get a good handling German car. Case in point, base model FWD TT, that's a mom's car. I know cause my mom has one :dumb:

I'd be willing to bet Andy's old FWD A4 isn't as wet noodle like. I know someone on here has driven both that would agree.

Exactly.

Normally i would agree, but i watched a video the other day that one of the comparo magzines did with the frs/brz vs a 2013 v6 stang. The stang was cheaper even with having the track pack, and raped the brz around a track.

See Andy's comments above.

Its a culture difference dumdums...

In America, the general perception of "luxury" and "good ride" is soft and floats down the road...

In Europe, the general perception of "luxury" is more "sporty" by american standards, its more firm, etc...

Different cultures, with different thought processes, they may change, but that is histrocial precendnt.

You idiots that talk about how superior the handling is of german cars, think American car manufactures dont know "how" to make a stiff proper road carving suspension, the truth is, they dont want to! There are plenty of examples that show USDM mfgr's can make stiff suspension if it 'wants' to, and rival/beat the pants off non-USDM mfgr's on a track. Next you are going to go full audi-fag and talk about how sweet the interior is.