great dane or boxer breeders?

Lauren

anyone know any boxer or great dane breeders in or around columbus? i'm looking for a pup. i have a 2 year old boxer now and he seriously needs a playmate. any help would be appreciated

Why does he "need a playmate?"

Go to dog park once a week, and rejoice in single dog ownership. Getting a second dog is not something I can recommend from personal experience, especially a boxer.

I know Tim has a pair of them, and loves it, but its a lot more work, more annoying (when they need exercise) and it really doesn't tire them out that much.

We've always had two and wouldn't have it any other way. They are best buds. Yes it will double your trouble in terms of energy but if you have a good fenced yard, they will make use of it. Ours love running around and playing outside.

This is the first time we've not had two boxers, but out male is bully of some sort and again, perfect size.

Our Brindle came from http://alumcreekkennel.com/

I was active in Boxer rescue for a while and can help you there too.

as much as i love rescue's i would rather donate money to them (which i do) then take one in. its can be a whole heep of trouble without knowing the history of the dog.

i prefer to purchase pups with papers and solid pedigree with health testing.

dogs belong in a "pack" by nature. yes it may cost more for food, vet bills etc but its so worth it in the end. i spend all day with my guy now. he doesnt do well at the dog park. for medical reasons i cant have him nutured even though i really want him fix. this seems to cause problems everytime with that certain dog there. he is not aggressive at all but he will not tolertate a dog mounting him. he does however get along great with my cousins dane and mastiff. thats why i want a puppy. i'm probably just rambling at this point. i just want a reputable breeder with quality dogs.

for medical reasons i cant have him nutured even though i really want him fix. this seems to cause problems everytime with that certain dog there. he is not aggressive at all but he will not tolertate a dog mounting him. he does however get along great with my cousins dane and mastiff. thats why i want a puppy. i'm probably just rambling at this point. i just want a reputable breeder with quality dogs.

I'd advise getting a female. Two males, especially if one isn't fixed won't likely do as well. Boxers can be funny that way. Two females is most always a no-no too. Our boxers have always been partial to other bully breeds too. None of ours have ever done well with dogs of other breeds. Even our two now. However, they are more tollerant and do fairly well with strange bully dogs. Go figure.

I agree with a puppy. Much better to form who they are in your own home.

Boxers need playmates. Our 4 year old would play, but nothing like he does with his sister. We got her from buckeye boxers. (breeders.n e t)

Got her at 8 weeks and they play great together.

Boxers are a handful in 2's. But well worth it.

Both of mine are full bred, brindle boxers.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/probin007/kai3.jpg

We have 2 girls, boxer mix and a husky, they get along great, even though its the "worst" combination supposedly.

there are exceptions but in your case you have a partial boxer and a husky. if they were both pure bred female boxers, they would very, very likely have some serious issues once both were 2-3yrs old. starts with one fight and thing change from there to where they would eventually fight with ferocity that you would end up having to re-home one. males will do the same but female boxers are usually the more protective and domineering of the breed. I can attest to this with our previous Jasmine and even our current female Xena. She's dominant over the male. Part of that is he is younger and came into our home at just 5lbs.

Here's my boy. He just turned 2. He has the most amazing personality and coat I've ever seen from a boxer. I did pay 2200 dollars for him though lol

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/Untitled.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/56a1c276.jpg

Here's a 12 week old akc Dane I'm going to look at tomorrow. He's a Merle which is ok but I really want a grey harlequin or a solid blue

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee254/ca18det007/c8d7c756.jpg

I dont think I could ever pay 2200$ for a dog.. My female we got from buckeye boxers, she was 500$.. Registered, shots, all that.

ALL boxers have that personality.. Mine crack me up.

When your boy gets a playmate, he is going to be so happy.. I have a video somewhere of when my 4 year old met his sister.. I dont think I have ever seen him happier.

Now he is 5 years old, shes almost one. He is 87lbs, and she is 55lbs.

I dont think I could ever pay 2200$ for a dog.. My female we got from buckeye boxers, she was 500$.. Registered, shots, all that.

ALL boxers have that personality.. Mine crack me up.

When your boy gets a playmate, he is going to be so happy.. I have a video somewhere of when my 4 year old met his sister.. I dont think I have ever seen him happier.

Now he is 5 years old, shes almost one. He is 87lbs, and she is 55lbs.

I agree on many accounts. We paid like $200-$250 for our first two and IIRC may be $400 for Xena. Patches was a rescue and all we paid was a $50 donation and saved his life.

When we brought Xena home to Ares our male who had lost his matriarch housemate that was 3yrs older than him not long before, he too was older and no doubt had a new found spirit of life. She bought him time and I firmly believe that. He died happy knowing he was a big brother/grandfather to his new friend.

Then when he passed Xena took it hard and wouldn't even go off our deck to do her business. She waited for Ares to come outside and couldn't understand where he was. It broke my heart daily to see it. I really think that's why these two get along so well and protect the house as they do. Sometimes scarey to see the two of them work in tandem when a stranger knocks on the door.

Danes are very expensive. Most range from 1500-3k.

My girlfriend knows everything about them as once we get our house we're buying one. She's contacted almost every breeder around and we've met with a few to look at the studs.

Make sure you get the stomach tacked.Band ask the breeders if they have had their dogs tested for hip displaysia.

My grandmother owns Heart of Ohio Boxer rescue and she also has a show line that she breeds. She is also very good friends with all the breeders in Ohio, so she can probably point you in that direction if need be PM me if yoiur interested and I can give you her contact info. Here is the last pup that I got from her show line.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/jallen_100/IMG_3723.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/jallen_100/IMG_3720.jpg

Dogs with a pal are always happier.

Great Danes only live to around 7-8 years and eat 8 cups of food a day. Expensive to own and heart breaks with their short life. They are great family dogs and knock kids down by accident!

As for going straight to a breeder, there is something to be had for raising a dog from a pup. Our 2 dogs are rescues (lab and lab/golden) and we are lucky they have no major issues. One was free and the other a small donation to take.

I think $2k+ is a lot for a dog that is not going to be shown.

Why can't you fix your dog?