PSA: Pinion angle DOES matter!

zeitgeist57

I finished lowering the rear end of Cleetus by doing a front hanger flip. The end result is exactly what I was expecting: 1" of air before the axle hits the bump stop :).

I took it for a shakedown run to HD, happy to show off the new, free, lowness. Amazingly, the long wheelbase made the ride relatively smooth, even over bumps. I'm quite pleased with the end result. However, I never made it more than a quarter mile...

In dropping the rear end, I didn't bother loosening the u-bolts to shim the driveline angle a few degrees, as recommended. Well...under engine load, there is a noticeable drumming coming up from the chassis. When still in gear and the gas is let off, it still produces vibrations. Its only when the clutch is taken in that the drumming goes away.

Fortunately, there is no damage...but I've grown wiser enough to do a u-turn and live another day. I'll figure out what's up tomorrow...

I've seen some auto part stores have the pinion agle shims. they usually are with the lift blocks and such.

if you did a front shackle flip, you'll need to shim up the back of the axle to help realign it all. if the pinion angle is off it'll vibrate like hell!!

I've seen some auto part stores have the pinion agle shims. they usually are with the lift blocks and such.

if you did a front shackle flip, you'll need to shim up the back of the axle to help realign it all. if the pinion angle is off it'll vibrate like hell!!

Indeed...I'm feelin' it!

The axle is still under the leaf spring pack, so the factory pinion yoke on the driveshaft is now pointing to the truck bed as the driveshaft is now nearly flat! I actually need to lower the front of the axle to lower the front differential yoke, and get the angle back in line. Probably need new U-bolts while I'm at it.

In a perfect world, I could gnarl the perches off the axle, rotate the angle, and reweld the perches to the axle EASILY. :)