85 RX-7 NoRotorXXmotor

coltboostin

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/THE%20COLT%20v2/78Vette2017.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/THE%20COLT%20v2/78Vette2020.jpg

The CR whore will hopefully be getting some better treatment soon. Still TBD drivetrain-LSx is a maybe, but it needs to be a deal! 4G is on obviously play for me-we will see what happens.

Options? Opinions? Has to be cheap and ready to make a metric shit ton on HPs:)

5.3 LSX motor, turbo, ski mask (so people don't know who just raped them).

There is a guy over on YB that did a junkyard 5.3 turbo build with one of these and is going 8's. Granted, that car is backhalved I think, but you see the potential with these.

I really looked at getting this car but to do the above build is out of my range of abilities.

5.3 LSX motor, turbo, ski mask (so people don't know who just raped them).

There is a guy over on YB that did a junkyard 5.3 turbo build with one of these and is going 8's. Granted, that car is backhalved I think, but you see the potential with these.

I really looked at getting this car but to do the above build is out of my range of abilities.

Yup. I like that car :)

Maybe why I am sohornny for this??

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1592875#post1592875

maybe the car will break 12 seconds again?? :lolguy:

seriously though, id like to see something different done with that car. another badass 4 banger would be pretty interesting. I'm contemplating going with a turbo'd v6 in my fc myself.

If it didn't go better than 12.9 off the street I'd drive it right into the lake!

Question(s)

What are the major differences between the 4.8 and the 5.3? Will parts like heads/Cams interchange? I am finding some one these too cheap not to pay attention!

Will the Harnesses form a Truck work for either? Will a 4.8 and a 5.3 have the same tune-ability? Any limitations in the ECU/Harness in a truck vs a Camaro or Corvette?

Will off the shelf Th350's/Th400/T56 and the like bolt right up to a 4.8/5.3/6.0??

Thanks! :)

Question(s)

What are the major differences between the 4.8 and the 5.3? Will parts like heads/Cams interchange? I am finding some one these too cheap not to pay attention!

Will the Harnesses form a Truck work for either? Will a 4.8 and a 5.3 have the same tune-ability? Any limitations in the ECU/Harness in a truck vs a Camaro or Corvette?

Will off the shelf Th350's/Th400/T56 and the like bolt right up to a 4.8/5.3/6.0??

Thanks! :)

good questions as i too am buying a 5.3l silverado. Ecu's are tunable as i was looking at the current rom for the truck. im just unsure of the support of the LM7 to LS parts (whats compatible and whats not). maybe we both can get these answers.

Almost all the trucks use the same PCM that is in the 99-02 f-body, just get one after 99, they used it in about every LS based V8 until 02-03 and in some of the trucks until 08, this is the computer to get as there are custom operating systems and lots of options for tuning these, however all of GM's V8 PCMs are tunable so it isn't detrimental.

The only major difference between a 4.8 and 5.3 is the crank, the block is the same part number betweeen them. These engines have the smallest bore diameter of any LS engine so you have to watch what heads you swap onto it, but if it will work on a LS1 (LS1 is only slightly larger, about .100") it will work on one of these. When you start talking about 6.0L and bigger displacemnt the cylinders get bigger and all GM's heads interchange. Starting in 04 the V8s starting going to different crank and cam reluctors, different knock sensor locations, and a few other minor changes, these starting getting called the gen 4 V8, requires a different PCM but depending on build any of these parts can be interchanged it just depends on how deep you want to go. If you have specific questions I'm sure i can answer them.

As for transmissions the bolt pattern is close to the old SBC but only about half the bolts line up, the top of the bellhousing bolts are different. I know guys are using this stuff but I don't have any more first hand knowelege then that.

Almost all the trucks use the same PCM that is in the 99-02 f-body, just get one after 99, they used it in about every LS based V8 until 02-03 and in some of the trucks until 08, this is the computer to get as there are custom operating systems and lots of options for tuning these, however all of GM's V8 PCMs are tunable so it isn't detrimental.

The only major difference between a 4.8 and 5.3 is the crank, the block is the same part number betweeen them. These engines have the smallest bore diameter of any LS engine so you have to watch what heads you swap onto it, but if it will work on a LS1 (LS1 is only slightly larger, about .100") it will work on one of these. When you start talking about 6.0L and bigger displacemnt the cylinders get bigger and all GM's heads interchange. Starting in 04 the V8s starting going to different crank and cam reluctors, different knock sensor locations, and a few other minor changes, these starting getting called the gen 4 V8, requires a different PCM but depending on build any of these parts can be interchanged it just depends on how deep you want to go. If you have specific questions I'm sure i can answer them.

As for transmissions the bolt pattern is close to the old SBC but only about half the bolts line up, the top of the bellhousing bolts are different. I know guys are using this stuff but I don't have any more first hand knowelege then that.

Good info!

On the trannies-it seems like the TH350's are just cheaper all around. If going Auto-is that the route to go? (full manual). I am assuming the T56 just bolts up? Any T56 out there that uses a standard external TOB?

Good info!

On the trannies-it seems like the TH350's are just cheaper all around. If going Auto-is that the route to go? (full manual). I am assuming the T56 just bolts up? Any T56 out there that uses a standard external TOB?

Only T-56s that came out of an LS car will bolt right up, the older stuff out of LT1s will not be a direct swap, there are some conversion kits out there though.

Good info!

A TH350 can be built to take as much as you throw at it. My dad ran one in his race car for years before he went to a glide.

Lots of places build them, Rossler up in your neck of the woods does great work. From what I understand there are a few adjustments that will need to be made, but bang for your buck that is the route to go.

I looked at going the TH350 route until I talked with a few people and it won't work well for me. Since my car will still see a lot of street duty I stuck with something that has OD.

Only T-56s that came out of an LS car will bolt right up, the older stuff out of LT1s will not be a direct swap, there are some conversion kits out there though.

But the older boxes are stronger stock vs stock?

A TH350 can be built to take as much as you throw at it. My dad ran one in his race car for years before he went to a glide.

Lots of places build them, Rossler up in your neck of the woods does great work. From what I understand there are a few adjustments that will need to be made, but bang for your buck that is the route to go.

I looked at going the TH350 route until I talked with a few people and it won't work well for me. Since my car will still see a lot of street duty I stuck with something that has OD.

Is OD the only real benefit of the 4L60 and 80e? Are there NON-E 4L transmissions?

Is OD the only real benefit of the 4L60 and 80e? Are there NON-E 4L transmissions?

They are also have the benefit of being direct bolt in and can be programed with the ECU on the car. As far as I know there are no Non-e 4L transmissions.

They are also have the benefit of being direct bolt in and can be programed with the ECU on the car. As far as I know there are no Non-e 4L transmissions.

4L60 = 700R4, no electronics. With the weight of the rx7, you could also look at the 2004Rs. They can be built to handle a ton of abuse as well.

The older ones have a different input shaft and bellhousing, otherwise the same so no they are not any stronger.

A 700R4 is a non-electronic 4L60, but the bellhousing bolts would be a little off. If you're going to keep it fuel injected just get a 4l60 for a LS motor and use the PCM to control it. It really is no harder then that, with an engine harness for an automatic truck or f-body everything will already be there.

Ok I need more transmission Clarification- On the 4L60 and 80e- why do they seem SO much more expensive to mod, and in "built" form than the 350/400? How much can the stock 60/80E hold realistically?? Also any difference in the 4.3 Slush boxes?

It has been mentioned the 350/400 bolts up- but is missing a few locations-does it BOLT UP or not?? LOL does the input shaft line up correctly?

As for Manuals-does the T5 out of trucks work? Does the T5s out of 4.3 V6's work? Same mounting as a Ford T5 (that is in the car only reason I ask!!)

Ok I need more transmission Clarification- On the 4L60 and 80e- why do they seem SO much more expensive to mod, and in "built" form than the 350/400? How much can the stock 60/80E hold realistically?? Also any difference in the 4.3 Slush boxes?

It has been mentioned the 350/400 bolts up- but is missing a few locations-does it BOLT UP or not?? LOL does the input shaft line up correctly?

As for Manuals-does the T5 out of trucks work? Does the T5s out of 4.3 V6's work? Same mounting as a Ford T5 (that is in the car only reason I ask!!)

As for specifics on the 350/400 I'm at a loss as i have no real first hand knowlege. A properly built 4L60 with 5 pinion planets, good clutches, and aftermarket servos will support 700-800 wheel in most cars, the heavier the car the less likely it will last. Obviously with the RX7 it should be enough. A 4L80 on the other hand is much stronger and with some good clutches and such should hold around 1000HP. It should be noted that the transmissions are very different, the 80 is a bigger case and has different gear ratios.