who makes a good laptop?

copperhead

Just like the title says, I'm wondering what brands of laptops are good these days and what I should avoid. Looking for something on the cheap end (sub $500) with a 15.6" screen, but something with a bit more punch than an Atom. I've had bad luck with HP's along with a lot of people I know, and I've never been a fan of Dell, otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

edit - also, no Macs. Not like they would fit into my price range anyway.

HPs have always treated me well. Sure I've had problems, but nothing I wouldn't expect from any other brand of laptop. We picked up a referbed laptop for my girlfriends son to take to college this fall at Microcenter. Quad core AMD CPU with 6 gigs of RAM for around $380. It's a referb, but I would rather buy them that way than new.

I've had my HP dv6000SE for probably 7 years now (i think... mid-college). Still going strong and looks brand new too. Even running Vista :dumb:

I guess it wasn't cheap though... at nearly 1600

Mine is a DV6663US, it was $1,000 when I bought it 5 and a half years ago. It started having overheating problems probably the second year I had it. Since then the hinges have broke, and it will randomly shut down from heat. Now it won't go more than 5 minutes without shutting off. I've had a couple friends with HP's from the same era, also had broken hinges and other issues.

To those suggesting Asus - it seems like to get the same specs as other brands, I would have to spend about $150 more. Does this sound right? Conversely, Acers seem to be too cheap compared to everything else, that kinda scares me off.

We use Lenovo's at work. Ours are fairly pricey models given our needs, but they are reliable in the hands of some pretty tough on laptop folks. I'm sure they do well in the lower end models.

Lenovo, basically a consumer grade IBM and they are built VERY well!

The lower end models are Acer. The business models are not.

what do you use your computer for? Do you need lots of RAM, Memory, Video card, etc.

Is it mainly for surfing pron? any photo or video editing? Big storage for photos, music, etc? I think that will help narrow down your decision a little.

Mine is a DV6663US, it was $1,000 when I bought it 5 and a half years ago. It started having overheating problems probably the second year I had it. Since then the hinges have broke, and it will randomly shut down from heat. Now it won't go more than 5 minutes without shutting off. I've had a couple friends with HP's from the same era, also had broken hinges and other issues.

To those suggesting Asus - it seems like to get the same specs as other brands, I would have to spend about $150 more. Does this sound right? Conversely, Acers seem to be too cheap compared to everything else, that kinda scares me off.

Do you have a Nvidia Graphics card? If you do, that is your problem. HPs are no better than Acer/Gateway but more expensive and their customer service is junk. But based on my experience, I would never buy another HP.