Caging in the snow...

magley64

No way! It would be harder for the RWD to accelerate on the straights much more than the front or 4wd because of the weight on the wheels. And pulling is much better than pushing in the snow.

I disagree, again i'm not talking about your light little mustang pos', or a camaro, I'm talking about a muscle car with a couple tons under it's belt... Like my 4000 lb tempest/gto or dad's 3800 lb 442...

the second your FWD breaks traction, you have NO steering, where as a rwd, you punch it hard around a corner and steer it the direction you want to go, slinging snow the whole time:beathorse:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have had no issues getting through the last 4 winters in my G35 (not AWD) with snow tires. I've never had more fun, either.

that said, winters would be a lot more fun with an S4/RS4, GTR, or STI, all with snow tires. You don't get anymore traction (and definitely not anymore grip) on corner entry or mid corner, but you get a HELL of a lot more on corner exit and off the line. This means, no more gently coaxing the throttle on a start on a snowy/icy road, no more modulating throttle through a corner, etc etc etc. just stomp on it and go. my girlfriend has a impreza 2.5RS, and as anemic as that car is any other time, it is a BLAST to drive in the snow with even regular old all seasons.

The issue here (like everywhere in the automotive world) is TIRES. Period. A RWD is fine in the snow with the right tires, and the whole FWD is better is just a missconception since the added weight over the drive wheels that negates the need for specialty tires somewhat. Kinda like a tractor trailer. They're so heavy that they can literally melt the ice under the tires by sheer friction. Now a FWD is obviously not this extreme but you get the point.

Also you have to take into account the vehicle and tires mags is talkin about. A heavy older car with surprisingly a decently close 50/50 weight bias with neutral handeling. I had a 1 ton GMC ext cab long bed that I've gotten stuck in due to the crown in the road. Thing was useless in the snow, even with a 1850lb electric motor in the bed, but slightly less with the extra weight. Highway tires and sever lack of proportionate weight over the drives made it useless. I've also owned several jeeps, and a few SUV's with all-terrain and mud terrains that I rarely ever use 4wd on, the quality of the tire (I run only BFGoodrich all, or mud terrain on my trucks) makes it in nessicary. However the 4wd makes it really nice to be able to get yourself out of ditches.

In reality in the majority of driving situations RWD is superior to FWD for a variaty of reasons.

The issue here (like everywhere in the automotive world) is TIRES. Period. A RWD is fine in the snow with the right tires, and the whole FWD is better is just a missconception since the added weight over the drive wheels that negates the need for specialty tires somewhat. Kinda like a tractor trailer. They're so heavy that they can literally melt the ice under the tires by sheer friction. Now a FWD is obviously not this extreme but you get the point.

Also you have to take into account the vehicle and tires mags is talkin about. A heavy older car with surprisingly a decently close 50/50 weight bias with neutral handeling. I had a 1 ton GMC ext cab long bed that I've gotten stuck in due to the crown in the road. Thing was useless in the snow, even with a 1850lb electric motor in the bed, but slightly less with the extra weight. Highway tires and sever lack of proportionate weight over the drives made it useless. I've also owned several jeeps, and a few SUV's with all-terrain and mud terrains that I rarely ever use 4wd on, the quality of the tire (I run only BFGoodrich all, or mud terrain on my trucks) makes it in nessicary. However the 4wd makes it really nice to be able to get yourself out of ditches.

In reality in the majority of driving situations RWD is superior to FWD for a variaty of reasons.

i disagree in the snow..owned them all

I get by just fine with my FWD and can control exactly where it goes in a sideways slide but after tearing it up a few winters ago in a turbo legacy, nothing is better than 4 spinning wheels. FUN AS HELL! My next car will be AWD...not just for control but the fun factor too.

wondering why i opened this thread.......... we dont get enough snow in ohio to warrant a 4x4, but i will ALWAYS have one. Not a Hummer or some other little dick truck like that. Full size CHEVY 4X4 8 foot bed, but i have toys to haul!!!

I roll 2wd only not point in 4wd in ohio. I only have one 4wd and its not street legal or together at the moment. My 8ft bed 2wd f150 with no weight has never gotten stuck if you drive smart you will get where your going.

All I have to say is you live south of canton you don't know crap about snow. I trust magley(who lives in astratucky) LAKE EFFECT is all I have to say. Until you have been in the snow belt you have NO idea what real snow is. I have to drive into this crap to go to work. Nothing like getting a foot of snow when you are in work.

Yeah, not really enough snow in town for having a 4wd. But old school Jeep for me, either Cherokee or Wrangler. Never owned a FWD, it's RWD or 4WD or AWD for me. Best RWD on snow was a 72 Cutlass, a regular snow mobile. Dunno why, it handled really well. Had a heavy van that did excellent also, but once you loose the back end in a van, you don't get it back. It will turn 180 or 360 (or more)

With RWD you have to be willing to learn how to turn 180 and back again, or turn 360 when needed. But still, in Central Ohio, if it's that bad, stay home, or take the bus. It's free on days like that, and you get to meet all sorts of interesting people. :eek: It isn't that bad very often.

All I have to say is you live south of canton you don't know crap about snow. I trust magley(who lives in astratucky) LAKE EFFECT is all I have to say. Until you have been in the snow belt you have NO idea what real snow is. I have to drive into this crap to go to work. Nothing like getting a foot of snow when you are in work.

+1 it really sucks when i have to go oute east im looking at a solid hr + on a good day in the spring, in the snow it has taken me 3 hrs just to get home :(