1995 Saturn SL1 Cooling fan

351mach11647545510

My moms 95 Saturn SL1's cooling fan wont kick on, causing the car to overheat. I jumped the fan to the battery and it works, the relay is fine (swapped places with an identical one). What else is in the cooling fans system? know where i can find a wiring diagram? The coolant temp sensor, according to the gauge, is working accurately.

The coolant temp sensor, according to the gauge, is working accurately.

There are two separate coolant temp sensors on those cars. One for the gauge and one for the computer/fan. On the drivers side of the head the one with 1 wire is for the gauge, the sensor with 2 wires is for the computer/fan. A lot of time they crack and then leak into the connector. Make sure the connector isn't corroded. Probably needs a sensor and connector.

There are two separate coolant temp sensors on those cars. One for the gauge and one for the computer/fan. On the drivers side of the head the one with 1 wire is for the gauge, the sensor with 2 wires is for the computer/fan. A lot of time they crack and then leak into the connector. Make sure the connector isn't corroded. Probably needs a sensor and connector.

was going to post this, a lot of those had 2 sensors, so this is very likely, Need a scan tool to see what the computer sees, and to see if its commanding it on, pretty hard without a scan tool, but you could throw a sensor on it and see.

My wife's 99 Saturn had one sensor with 2 leads (ECU and gauge). Hers went bad causing the fan to stop kicking on but displayed the temperature fine. If its a single sensor car, you just need a new sensor.

Turn on your AC. If the fan runs, the sender is bad. Also, if her fuel mileage has been shitty is a good indicator.

was going to post this, a lot of those had 2 sensors, so this is very likely, Need a scan tool to see what the computer sees, and to see if its commanding it on, pretty hard without a scan tool, but you could throw a sensor on it and see.

didnt know you could do that with obd1?

obd1 gm reads out pretty close to obd2 it just uses a different connector

I have an old snap on brick scanner if you want to stop by and scan it sometime

I have one too but it isn't throwing any codes. Went to put a new coolant temp sensor and connector in and the damn sensor snapped, didn't even get snug. Cut the pig tail and jumped it for the time being till I have more time to deal with it and it kicks the fan on while the car is on.