Replace wheel studs with the same size or go bigger

starkmaster03

The wheel studs on the back of the Trans Am are all slightly bent and I want to replace them before the track day. I'm wondering if just upgrading the current size to some ARP would be sufficient and keep them from bending or if I should have the axles redrilled and go with a larger stud.

The wheel studs on the back of the Trans Am are all slightly bent and I want to replace them before the track day. I'm wondering if just upgrading the current size to some ARP would be sufficient and keep them from bending or if I should have the axles redrilled and go with a larger stud.

if you go with a larger stud you will have to drill out the bolt holes on the wheel correct? Unless the make a larger knurl with the same size stud

if you go with a larger stud you will have to drill out the bolt holes on the wheel correct? Unless the make a larger knurl with the same size stud

If he's using aftermarket wheels with a shanked lugnut, you only need to swap to the larger i.d. lugnut. If it's a stock wheel, yes, it will probably need enlarged holes.

That's what I was thinking. What machine shops can redrill axles?

What are you going to do put screw-in studs in it? I'm not sure how you'd have it splined for the normal press in studs, why don't you call Moser and ask them about your bent studs and see what they would do?

What are you going to do put screw-in studs in it? I'm not sure how you'd have it splined for the normal press in studs, why don't you call Moser and ask them about your bent studs and see what they would do?

You don't spline the axles for press in studs. The holes are under sized and the splines are on the studs.