Free MP3's....

KillJoy

...kind of.

I might be late to the game with this, but I just found out about it today.

Download and install RealPlayer. Install it's Browser Plugins (comes with it). Once installed, go to YouTube. Find a video you like (better quality is best). The Plug-In will let you save the Video to your PC. It's on the top right corner of the Video. Once saved, you can convert it to several different media choices, including MP3s. You can then transfer them where ever you want!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I never pay for music, literally everything in my 20+gb library has been ripped.

For Mac I use Mac Vide Audio Recorder - http://www.macvide.com/Macvide-Audio-Recorder/

For Windows I use Camtasia (im sure there are better programs specifically designed for Audio capture though).

I rip @ 192,000kbps, the sound quality (especially on a Mac) is fawking incredible.

As a rule of thumb if youtube doesn't have what your looking for Myspace/Music will. As mentioned above take a few minutes and try and find the best quality version of the song you're looking for. Sound quality can vary greatly, or alot of times as of late you're only left with one or two songs to rip from.

Another thing I will do is rip Pandora streams for an hour or two at a time, then go back and cut the hour-long stream down into individual MP3's. Only downside is you don't know exactly what you're going to get but shit, the sound quality is always top-notch, especially if you have a premium account.

I use Audacity to resample/cut my MP3's after I've ripped them, apparently you can also use audacity to rip audio streams but I haven't looked into it, to be honest the program, while 100% free and powerful, is a little complex to figure out, even for me.

http://ivave.com

Damn near free.

Interesting, guess some loophole in the Russian law lets them legally sell music for what normal stations would pay to play it. Wonder how long that will last...

Just registered and checked it out, 5 cents per song is hard to beat, although at first glance they don't have some of the old school semi-underground stuff that can be found on myspace/youtube/pandora.

Are you a member? Any issues with viruses/payment/stolen credit card info?

Coming from somewhat of a hackerish background I would be extremely Leary of opening any media files from the internet (using Windows), especially from a small Russian site. One of the new trends in hacking is to bind seeming harmless .Avi/.Mp3/.Mpg files with encrypted trojans. Scary shit, nearly impossible to detect. When you go to open the file you unknowingly install a trojan, then a second later the file opens and plays as if it's 100% legit. The end user has no idea the file was bugged. An ex-buddy/associate/whathaveu was making alot of money doing this (stopped talking to him shortly after I found out), when asked about anti-viruses detecting something phishy he just laughed...

Flvto.com. /thread

do you know what bitrate they rip too? Thats the thing I like about ripping with a dedicated stream-ripper, I can set the bitrate to whatever (I use 192,000 for file-size reasons but can go up to 256,000.)