04 kia rio help

The_buster

Ok... so the mother in laws kia just stopped on the way home. I got a call and was told that while they were coming home the car just quit no warning or anything. My dad went and looked at the car because he was close. He said it may be timing belt broke or motor locked up. Also they tried to push it and it only went a little bit both forward and back. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. thanks

Sometimes the teeth will come off the belt at the crank. Even if the belt is there, you going to have to remove the whole timing cover and check timing marks. There are a ton of other things you can be checking. But from your original post, it sounds to me like the motor is locked up from timing belt issue. You could pull the plugs, try to turn the motor over by hand, and check other things.

What else can I check for? Or should that be done by someone that knows what they're doing? I watched a video online about replacing the belt on an 02.. didn't look too hard. Also if we remove the valve cover can we tell anything that way?