looking for a good electronics website

spoolin_s14

I used to work here: http://www.progressiveaudio.com/home.php

If that adds any credibility.

I was about to post this place.

There store is located on OSU campus. It's definitely full of knowledgeable people. This is definitely the first place I would go to talk to someone about a sound set up if I was doing a room.

I was about to post this place.

There store is located on OSU campus. It's definitely full of knowledgeable people

Agreed, and I really wasn't one of them in terms of knowledge. Jason, Brad, or Mike C can tell you about everything that is and ever was when it comes to 2 channel hifi, whole house audio, or home theater setups. Les, the owner, is awesome and welcomes the opportunity to show people around the shop.

Mike C, the president, is a car guy an is on here.

Agreed, and I really wasn't one of them in terms of knowledge. Jason, Brad, or Mike C can tell you about everything that is and ever was when it comes to 2 channel hifi, whole house audio, or home theater setups. Les, the owner, is awesome and welcomes the opportunity to show people around the shop.

Mike C, the president, is a car guy an is on here.

Agreed, seemed like a good group of people there every time I've been in there.

Have you heard any of the Monoprice speakers?

For good sound you want something with it's own box, not using the inside of the wall as a box. You want to speakers pointed towards you. In ceilings are aimed at the ground. In ceilings are only good for ambient sound/music IMHO. You want to speakers to be in-wall and place them where you would normally place speakers. Basically for decent/good sound you want a real speaker, but designed to slide into the wall.

I read around on AVS Forum a bit, thinking about how I want to setup the new house and considering in-walls. There were a few companies that people liked for in-walls; Axiom Audio & RBH Sound come to mind. FWIW, my 5.1 setup (not in-walls) is from a daughter company of RBH Sound and I really like them.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/in-wall-speakers.html

http://www.axiomaudio.com/in-wall-on-wall-speakers.html

http://www.rbhsound.com/inwall.php

My speakers are from http://www.emptek.com/ But their in-ceiling and on-wall offerings look less than impressive.

I'm def not a pro at desinging a system just looking to hide everything while I remodel my living room. Putting 4 in my celing and built in woofers behind the couch area. wall mounted tv with a sound bar below it. celing mounted speakers will be above the couch firing down and 2 more above the tv and about 12' apart. Not going for "in the shit" sound, just a full room sound

That's completely understandable; but I highly suggest putting them in wall point at you and not in ceiling pointed at the floor.

Why 4 speakers + a sound bar? That's a miss-matched situation. You should either do a sound/surround bar type system, or a full 5.1 (5 speakers + sub) setup.

If you don’t get the right audio signal from the player to the receiver this is all for naught. Make sure you get a modern surround receiver and hook it up right. Usually the easiest way is with HDMI; most DVD/Blu-ray player and receiver settings out of the box should get the right audio signal to the receiver via HDMI. Make sure the receiver can do audio over HDMI; I think most all of them do that now but if you buy something use/a few years old they might not all do that.

I’ve heard good things about the mono-price speakers in general. The pictures of the in-walls make them look decent and the crossover looks surprisingly well built considering the cost. You could get a matching 5.1 in wall setup from there and not break the bank. I will wait to see if Ken’s heard them before giving them the 100% go ahead. I’m guessing he wouldn’t suggest them without some good knowledge of them.

If you have some pieces in mind, please post them up so we can offer some input so you get the most for your money! :megusta:

I’ve heard good things about the mono-price speakers in general. The pictures of the in-walls make them look decent and the crossover looks surprisingly well built considering the cost. You could get a matching 5.1 in wall setup from there and not break the bank. I will wait to see if Ken’s heard them before giving them the 100% go ahead. I’m guessing he wouldn’t suggest them without some good knowledge of them.

I've heard them, they sound great for what they are. They are definitely brighter than the B&W in-walls I sold to most of my customers but they are less than 1/5th of the price. I've only heard the 8" in-walls and in-ceilings so I can't comment on the smaller ones. They need decent break-in time to sound their best.

I listened to $40,000 Wilson speakers every day for over a year but I am not an audiophile. If I do a system for myself, I would use the monoprice in-walls.

I just installed a system for my brother in-law's $2M condo on the beach down here in Gulf Shores, Alabama where I live now and used Polk OWM5s for the rear channels, they look good and sound pretty decent for $100/ea.

For what it's worth I used Sonos for the whole house audio setup because it is awesome.