Camless Valve Technology

Mallard

My buddy's been workingon this for the last few years and just sent me this video they posted on YouTube. It's a pretty long video, but some of the engine nerds on here may like it. At the end they start making the engine play different songs. I told him to make me one that played the OSU fight song, lol.

Edited by Mallard

This isn't necessarily a new technology, the first Tucker prototype used oil to open valves with some kind of distributor. It didn't work out for Tucker as there were too many issues and that engine never made it into production. However if this technology is devoloped properly, that could open up a whole new way of tuning, also it could save some engines when they run low on oil, with the idea if the pickup tube for the valves was higher in the oil than anything else (provided this system uses oil like the Tucker system did), the engine wouldn't run if it ran low, but not low enough to harm anything else. Edited by Green Bastard
an incomplete thought

No video of the actual engine itself.

It's not a new idea, by any means. But it's been an idea that's remained unrealized in production due to the available technology. The closest thing to this is Fiat MultiAir, but that still has a cam. My understanding is this is about as production ready as it gets.

The Cam in fiat multiair is the build hydraulic pressure.... the valve motion itself is entirely decoupled from that cam.. it is infinitely variable for lift, duration, advance.. ect.. I vaguely remember an SAE paper where they were doing multiple valve lifts per stroke..

I think....

The Cam in fiat multiair is the build hydraulic pressure.... the valve motion itself is entirely decoupled from that cam.. it is infinitely variable for lift, duration, advance.. ect.. I vaguely remember an SAE paper where they were doing multiple valve lifts per stroke..

I think....

MultiAir is only variable within the area under the curve of the cam profile. It is not infinitely variable, it cannot increase lift beyond what the cam profile provides, and it cannot open or close the valve outside of the camshaft's duration. It also cannot open the valve using a steeper profile than the cam provides. It can only bleed off pressure built by the cam in order to control the valve. It's also only on one side right now. This is as I understand it.

The system I posted is infinitely variable.