Need comments/ opinions on a 2004 mini cooper s SC 6spd

Rustlestiltskin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking into gettin a fun cheap daily and found one of these for sale cheap locally.

What are the pros/cons of these cars?

Any comments/ opinions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Paul

It's an ugly little box that won't handle as good as the Miata you sold me.

You're welcome,

Scott

I'll go against the grain and say I'd love to have one for a daily. My grandma bought one when they first came out back in '02 and it was just the n/a 5 spd and I thought it was a blast to drive. No balls whatsoever, but I'd imagine the blower with a couple mods would make up for that.

You're looking for a daily, not a race car. Who gives a fuck if a Miata will turn better when it only has 2 seats and is more than likely rusted out, and an HHR SS is way more money.

I'll go against the grain and say I'd love to have one for a daily. My grandma bought one when they first came out back in '02 and it was just the n/a 5 spd and I thought it was a blast to drive. No balls whatsoever, but I'd imagine the blower with a couple mods would make up for that.

You're looking for a daily, not a race car. Who gives a fuck if a Miata will turn better when it only has 2 seats and is more than likely rusted out, and an HHR SS is way more money.

:D :finger:

Still a box, and he said fun, Paul has other vehicle for utility needs.

1.8t

ive been doing alot of reading on the 1.8Ts (02-05) and i guess these cars lack serious power from 0-30 mph. Do you plan to mod the car? If so there are chips you can get for it that increase it from 170HP to 210 HP, but still lack the low end power. With the chip you will see worse fuel economy than the 3.0. Chip runs $499 from APR.

I personally am considering the 3.0. It sounds a ton better, has 220 HP stock, and and less parts that can go bad. Plus, the 3.0 sounds wayy better with the right exhaust. Unfortunately there arent many mods for the 3.0. Its more of a luxery engine.

just my .02

The 6 speed trans is not AS prone to grenading like the 5 speeds are.

Electric P/S pump issues - leaks, total failures, cooling fan issues.

Lower ball joints front.

The serpentine belt takes 2 people, 45 minutes and a lot of patience. (S/C model)

Aftermarket is as plentiful as the Miata as far as nick nacks and power adders.

Door lock actuators

They are a blast to drive, but at times when each one leaves with $1K plus bill every other oil change in the 60K mile+ range it just gets sketchy. We don't service many in the 100K+ range. Most people seem to get the newest model, or sell off for good before 100K.