Trying to start brothers car after getting back from deployment

justmyluck

My brother just got back from deployment a week or so ago and is trying to get his car started. Unfortunately, since he is in Florida and I am in Cbus, the only way I can help him is if he sends me videos. Can anyone help me decipher what is making the noise in this video?

Car is a 91 Toyota MR2 n/a 5speed. Thanks

Video: http://youtu.be/3oMpM5LrIC4

My brother just got back from deployment a week or so ago and is trying to get his car started. Unfortunately, since he is in Florida and I am in Cbus, the only way I can help him is if he sends me videos. Can anyone help me decipher what is making the noise in this video?

Car is a 91 Toyota MR2 n/a 5speed. Thanks

Video: http://youtu.be/3oMpM5LrIC4

Chewed teeth on the starter maybe? Sounds like the starter is bogging down once every 5 revolutions, when it should bog down the entire time the engine is cranking.

If the car had no issues before and thats the same fuel in the tank , id bet the fuel is bad. Id drain the tank and change the filter......pull off the fuel line to rail and crank over until the good fuel starts to come thru then try again. I had the same issue a few years ago when we left a talon sit for a year , after we drained the tank we bled the main line and the fuel looked like muddy water.

When cranking have someone look under the right rear of the car at the crankshaft pulley and make sure it is turning.

IF it is NOT, then put it in like 3rd gear and rock the car back and forth to get the flywheel to change location and try again.

IF the crankshaft pulley IS turning then it sounds like it has a broken timing belt. Fear not, it is non-interference. Take a 10MM and pull back the top timing cover and see if the belt is off the cam.

It does NOT sound like a fuel issue, the cranking does not sound right, it is too fast.

It does NOT sound like a fuel issue

This.

If it were a fuel-quality issue I would expect to hear the engine/starter bog down randomly like "I wanna start, I wan, I wa, I wannnnna, Im gon, Im ga, Im gonnna start" type deal. Instead we're hearing the exact same abnormal cranking sequence over and over again, to me that says the problem is likely not related to fuel (quality), although I could very well be wrong.

When cranking have someone look under the right rear of the car at the crankshaft pulley and make sure it is turning.

Im pretty sure the starter is catching the flywheel, as you can hear it partially bog down. If it wasn't turning the flywheel you would just hear some whirling sound, similar to the sound you hear when bench testing one (starter). Edit: Listen carefully right @ 0:02 seconds, you can clearly hear the starter disengage from the flywheel and freewheel, note the "whirling" sound.

Edited by acklac7

Im pretty sure the starter is catching the flywheel, as you can hear it partially bog down. If it wasn't turning the flywheel you would just hear some whirling sound, similar to the sound you hear when bench testing one (starter). Edit: Listen carefully right @ 0:02 seconds, you can clearly hear the starter disengage from the flywheel and freewheel, note the "whirling" sound.

Agreed it does sound as if it does catch. Just verify to be sure, start simple/with basics.

After thinking this through im going to venture a guess that the one-way clutch in the armature of the starter is going bad, allowing the armature/teeth to rotate backwards for a spilt second then catch and hold (allowing the starter to turn the flywheel), then release again. Only thing I can think of that would cause the starter to repeatedly bog down like that. Unfortunately the only way to test my theory is to purchase a new one. That said I'd almost put money on the problem being directly related to the starter. Even if there is zero compression/zero fuel/timing issue the starter should still bog down with a (more-or-less) steady groan the entire time it is in contact with the flywheel. Edited by acklac7

• 3 weeks later...