iPhone 5 hands on impressions

Mojoe

Let's try and keep this more of a review than a comparison to other makes of phones.

I went from the i4 to the i5 because I was looking for some of the features from the 4S and whatever the i5 would offer. Nothing was wrong with my 4. I usually sell my old iPhones for what the cost of a new one on contract is, so I break even.

That said, I like the 5. yup, it's thin. Yup, it's a little longer. Yup, it sill fits in my pocket fine. I have noticed, I think the narrow body is more likable while talking with the phone to your ear. The external speakers seem to have a little more volume to them, and that's nice. I haven't messed with the Siri much, but it's neat. I would say the most noticable thing to me is the internet speeds through 4G. I'm very happy with how quick everything loads. My girlfriend and I downloaded the same app. She was on a 4 Vs. the 5. I gave her the hit and I paused before starting. I was done at least 30 seconds sooner.

I also have the invisashield cover and a case on the phone. No reception issues at all.

I probably don't use the phone for half of what it's cabable of. But, it does all I need it to and works everytime.

What are your impressions for those who have theirs?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bought one coming from an iPhone 4. I have used Siri way more than I thought I would, its just so damn convenient. Especially when texting or getting directions. The improved internet speeds are great, even though us people who have AT&T are only on HSPDA+ yet and not LTE (but its coming soon). I have a Griffin low profile case with a clear back like I had on my iPhone 4, and the only reception issues I have are at work, where I essentially sit in a Faraday Cage.

Checked out my buddies iPhone 5 over the weekend. Such a sorry ass phone for sure. I own an iPhone 4 and I don't see me getting the 5 ever unless itll be free. You gotta be a serious fuckin sheep to get that iPhone 5. It's basically a polished 4 :dumb: :nono:

Inb4 apple nuthuggers who make posts convincing themselves that the iPhone 5 was worth the purchase.

Let's try and keep this more of a review than a comparison to other makes of phones.

I'm holding out for the Iphone 7. Maybe by then It'll be as desirable, functionable, and affordable as the leading android phones.

No wonder your old lady bangs other dudes.

You seem to have trouble following even the simplest of instructions.

I consider new phones like preventative maintenance on a car. Every 2 years when the companies are ready to renew me and give me another basically no cost option for a brand new phone I'm going to cash in and go for it.

I had my 3g forever and when the thing quit I was pissed and left wihout service for a few days, lost data, etc. That's not worth the whopping $25 it cost me for my new iphone 5 after I sold my old 4.

I don't think it's drastically different but it's new and without problems so I'm good with it.

I can actually understand people saying they will wait for the next thing Apple releases, as there isn't much differance with the 5.

However:

Checked out my buddies iPhone 5 over the weekend. Such a sorry ass phone for sure. I own an iPhone 4 and I don't see me getting the 5 ever unless itll be free. You gotta be a serious fuckin sheep to get that iPhone 5. It's basically a polished 4 :dumb: :nono:QUOTE]

Paul, I haven't seen you post one thing on CR that is worth a damn. Your posts are all piggy backs from other people who actually know what they are talking about. Then you chime in and drain them of their info. Your're a banwagon poster at best. If anyone is a sheep, it's you, to whatever the popular kids are doing or saying.

Your comment of anyone who has a 5 is a sheep, how about you not generalize. How about ends up being a free phone. Had you read my post you would see that.

So you handled your buddy's phone and don't see anything justifying you getting a 5, got it.

Checked out my buddies iPhone 5 over the weekend. Such a sorry ass phone for sure. I own an iPhone 4 and I don't see me getting the 5 ever unless itll be free. You gotta be a serious fuckin sheep to get that iPhone 5. It's basically a polished 4 :dumb: :nono:

Inb4 apple nuthuggers who make posts convincing themselves that the iPhone 5 was worth the purchase.

Every year I upgrade for $199, and sell my old phone on eBay for $250+

I imagine that is the case with most people. I agree spending a couple hundred a year (or more) would be ridiculous for the small changes they make. However if you can net money in your pocket AND have the newest phone, it's a no brainer.

I'll be getting mine after work, it came into the store i preordered from.

Im pumped bgger screen and 4G, plus the phone speed is crazy, played with one lastnight for a bit. Siri is cool (I have a 4 so never played with her) the score updates and the restaurant stuff is nice. Cant wait!

No wonder your old lady bangs other dudes.

You seem to have trouble following even the simplest of instructions.

Going by your logic, your lady is one of 3 in this thread that's unfaithful? Sorry for you, I feel your pain. It's time you move on, you'll feel better once it's in the past.

how much to the old 4s' go for? I may sell mine and get the new phone

I'm selling mine for $200. I have seen several around $250-$275. The 4S's have been $300+.

I just want to break even with the upgrade and move on. I'm not antique collector. Use it and get rid of it while it has some value.

Yup you got me Joe. I'm a bandwagon poster at best trying to fit in with the cool people of CR.

Bahhhhhhhhhh Bahhhhhhhh

I can actually understand people saying they will wait for the next thing Apple releases, as there isn't much differance with the 5.

However:

Checked out my buddies iPhone 5 over the weekend. Such a sorry ass phone for sure. I own an iPhone 4 and I don't see me getting the 5 ever unless itll be free. You gotta be a serious fuckin sheep to get that iPhone 5. It's basically a polished 4 :dumb: :nono:QUOTE]

Paul, I haven't seen you post one thing on CR that is worth a damn. Your posts are all piggy backs from other people who actually know what they are talking about. Then you chime in and drain them of their info. Your're a banwagon poster at best. If anyone is a sheep, it's you, to whatever the popular kids are doing or saying.

Your comment of anyone who has a 5 is a sheep, how about you not generalize. How about ends up being a free phone. Had you read my post you would see that.

So you handled your buddy's phone and don't see anything justifying you getting a 5, got it.

Yup you got me Joe. I'm a bandwagon poster at best trying to fit in with the cool people of CR.

Bahhhhhhhhhh Bahhhhhhhh

However:

Bring something to the table the is a unique perspective and not a pot stirring negitive that has been over killed. I just have higher expectations of you.

I tried out a friends' roomates'...wasn't too impressed to be honest. Spent about an hour with it and to me it just seems like a thinner, longer 4S with a little quicker speeds. As with my 4 I'm sure the speeds will slow eventually. He claimed it had a better camera but to be honest I couldn't tell a difference. My 4's camera does just fine. All the high res. photos mean is more memory taken up, which means less apps, etc.

Long story short, unless you've got a free upgrade, it's not worth the extra few hundred in my eyes. But then again, I'm not as big into tech stuff as I was a few years ago.

^^I can agree with that.

That seems to be the gerneral feel from everyone pretty much. I basically started the tread to see if anyone would post something new that I may have overlooked and to share peoples thoughts, that have handled the phone. If someone was looking to get one, I hadn't seen any hands on writes on here, so I thought I would get one started.

[quote=Mojoe;1610651

Bahhhhhhhhhh Bahhhhhhhh

Bring something to the table the is a unique perspective and not a pot stirring negitive that has been over killed. I just have higher expectations of you.

Sorry Joe. I just get bored and take it out on CR at times :(

^^I can agree with that.

That seems to be the gerneral feel from everyone pretty much. I basically started the tread to see if anyone would post something new that I may have overlooked and to share peoples thoughts, that have handled the phone. If someone was looking to get one, I hadn't seen any hands on writes on here, so I thought I would get one started.

I updated my 4 today with the iOS6 and couldn't be happier honestly. Supposedly the GPS now talks..I've been asking for that shit since day 1! That's the only thing I liked about the Androids more than I did about the iPhone. You could plug in the address and the phone would do all the work for you. Speak, do the next step, etc. My phone it seems like I'm always hitting the next arrow. It's really gonna be a help over the next few weeks as well while I'm still learning my way around here.

As far as overlooked things, the only ones I didn't see in your post was the headphone jack was moved, and the USB connector is different. Which is gonna be a PITA for docking stations, etc., but Apple is gonna make a killing selling the adaptors that all the Hipster freaks will buy since it's "Genuine Apple, and no 'knock off.'" I'm sticking with my i4 as long as it let's me

I messed my friend's over the weekend (and I had to help her set up the POS that is iTunes). It's just a longer iphone 4S/4 with 4G. It's a very nice phone on the outside, I looked at maps and didn't see anything that I hated/loved, then quickly became frustrated with the lack of Menu button within the app and went to explore the rest of the OS. Got to the homescreen which is still just a clusterfuck of apps, but now with a whole new row of fuck...handed it right back.

Good point on the USB. I like that it's the same on both sides. It should have been the whole time, but so be it. I play pandora all the time in the car, so moving the head phone jack seems to be and ok thing so far. Before I was flipping the cable out of the way, just a little pita. And the new head phone have some great sounds quality. The fitment is different, but I think I like it.

I still haven't tried to do much more than how I did things with my 4.