69 vw bug

ghost1647545489

keep in mind no matter where it is leaking this will be an engine pull. As such...there are certain things like clutch and TO bearing that you will want to change while the motor is out. You want to deal with any hear exchanger repairs, maybe an oil cooler swap, etc. Just about anything that is easy with the motor out. So, factor that in to any costs.

more than likely it is his push rod tubes that are leaking. The engines are easy to work on and all you need to pull the engine is a strong plastic crate to jiggle the engine onto. I would recommend he does it himself and there is tons of info online to help.

I've done a bunch of these. I just don't have a ton of time right now. Hey...if you get in there and change the clutch...don't buy that huge socket...I have one you can borrow. I don't have the alignment tool...I always eyeballed it.

does the engine have to come out?

No, it does not for valve covers. They are straight foreward to do, if you want to tackle them and are unsure. Plenty of air cooled VW guys on here besides the ones that have already posted. Patterson has had them for years as well.

I work over at The Northend Wrench and we see them frequently. Not so much this time of year usually, but big time in the spring. Dave the owner has a original '62 with 30K miles, and Mark our service writer has his fathers '61.

Motorkars (spelling?) works on them as well.

I have a 70 beetle. I put a 98 motor in mine. They leak from 4 places, push rod tubes, cooler gaskets, oil drain, valve covers.

Figure out where it is coming from first. Probably the cooler or covers. Either way you can fix all of it without pulling the engine. Pulling the engine takes about 10 minutes.

So there are a couple of places around but what you want is a guy that has worked on cars since the 70's, that guy has fixed this before.

Cole at Taylor Tire has worked on my bug in the past and fits the profile.

I converted from 4 wheel drum to 4 wheel disc brakes.