Anyone have experience with installing a wood burner?

smokin5s

I recently acquired a nice wood burner for my barn. I do not have an experience with installing the chimneys and figured I would look here first to see if anyone has experience as well as would be interested in helping me install it. Pizza and Beer provided or if you're looking for a few bucks, something could be arranged. it doesn't look too hard, but I don't want to risk installing it wrong and burning down my building as well as I don't get along well with heights.

I'll take a picture tonight... the heater sits probably 4-5 feet tall and has about 8 feet of piping sticking up above it. (making it about 12 feet up right now) The roof is about 16 feet up. No Drywall to cut through, just rafters, and then Metal with bubble insulation for the roof. I know I need to pick up flashing, storm something, Class A piping for outside, extra piping for inside, and the cap for the chimney, but i don't know what else would be needed if anything.

Sounds like you will be able to keep it straight up, which is good. Also make sure the top of the chimney is 24" or more ABOVE the closest point 10' away... if that makes sense.

Other than that it sounds like you very well might be beyond building-code territory so just keep it away from combustibles...

The other option is out the wall through a thimble and then up.

You may need to also keep it up to 36" from the wall if it is near one (and not covered with some sort of masonry...)

I want to use stove pipe to the ceiling, but when it gets above the roof, I have to use a different type of pipe so it doesn't rust causing a fire... I'm pretty sure I'll probably just shoot it straight up, but I need help getting it installed... I'm scared of heights as well as I just want to make sure it's done right and I've never done it before.

picture of the burner in the basic area where I plan on installing it... keep in mind, I'm going to put it on bricks so it will stand a little higher as well as one of the pipes is sitting next to the burner...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/smokin5s/2012-10-03_17-50-28_448.jpg

Picture of the rafters where it wil get tied in

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/smokin5s/2012-10-03_17-50-43_930.jpg

Picture of the outside roof

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/smokin5s/2012-10-03_17-49-42_674.jpg

I installed a wood burner in my basement last winter and installed a heat reclaimer in the stove pipe. The reclaimer works awesome.

I ended up running the stove pipe up the original fireplace chimney.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&Ntt=heat%2Breclaimer

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/junkaddress000/2011-12-22_153956.jpg

from everything I read, running it out the side is more expensive because you have to get more of the expensive pipe plus brackets and support to be able to hold the weight.... It does have insulation on the roof but it is just the bubble insulation, so cutting through it isn't too much of an issue.

by running it out the side, versus out the top, do you think you will be potentially losing heat?

probably not much since I already have enough piping to run up to the rafters, so if it goes out the side, it will be above the rafters anyways before it shoots out the side.

I was talking to a neighbor last night and he was saying we should run it straight up... He installs HVAC units for a living, so his advice is free, but unfortunately because he does it for a living, his labor is the exact opposite and actually pretty expensive. (thus why I'm asking for help on CR) :)

got it installed yesterday before the rain hit... was a huge PITA! concepts are pretty easy to follow, but cutting a big hole in the roof is definitely scary no leaks though, so I couldn't have done too bad of a job.

Thanks for all the suggestions all!

Rich, how does the heat reclaimer work? I noticed that a lot of heat gets lost in that pipe and am seriously considering installing one.

Rich, how does the heat reclaimer work? I noticed that a lot of heat gets lost in that pipe and am seriously considering installing one.

Basically, There are about 8 horizontal tubes that are heated by the exhaust gases. A fan that is controlled by a thermostat turns on automatically and blows air through those tubes, which is heated, and then sent into the room. I think they claim about 30% heat recovery.

There is an effect of reduced temperature of the chimney gas and reduced draft. It is possible that you will need to extend your chimney height after installing one. My chimney is about 18' tall and I have zero issues.

The reclaimer is supposed to reduce your consumption of wood as you essentially get more heat per log.

As for my wood burner and reclaimer, I set my house furnace fan to low and open a "cold" air return in the room of the wood burner and it is able to heat my 1700' sq ft upstairs without the propane furnace actually kicking on. I ended up getting charged a rental fee for my propane tank because I didn't use enough last year (after installing the wood burner).