Interview tips?

Trouble Maker

I did a few mock interviews in college and they really helped me in the real thing. First off, always make eye contact. It shows that you are confident and not caught off guard. I would defiantly go over done answers to the normal "why are you interested in this position", " what are your career goals" type of questions. A big question that can stump people is the "what are your weaknesses". Don't be afraid to be honest, they want to know that you can make a mistake and recover/learn from it. They aren't looking for you to say that you have no weaknesses, of course everyone does.

i will say, for a phone interview, this sounds retarded but it may behoove you to dress up, be organized, sit at a desk, have your resume in front of you.

i remember having a phone interview with Raytheon for a finance position a few yrs back. i was sitting in my underwear in my frat house doing the interview, which consisted of a panel of 4 higher ups in finance for the company. I felt unprepared and out of sorts, despite it being a phone interview. The next time around on a phone interview, I interviewed much better being dressed well, prepared, etc.

i will say, for a phone interview, this sounds retarded but it may behoove you to dress up, be organized, sit at a desk, have your resume in front of you.

i remember having a phone interview with Raytheon for a finance position a few yrs back. i was sitting in my underwear in my frat house doing the interview, which consisted of a panel of 4 higher ups in finance for the company. I felt unprepared and out of sorts, despite it being a phone interview. The next time around on a phone interview, I interviewed much better being dressed well, prepared, etc.

TRUE. Sit in front of a mirror, smile while you talk......it can be sensed your voice. Refrain from constantly telling them what you are looking for, tell thm how you feel you can be an asset for them.

Interview Tips

Interviewing is the either the most stressful or the most enjoyable part of the job search process. With a little bit of preparation ahead of time, you will be able to go into the interview process relaxed and with confidence. There are two main purposes in any interview: 1) A company is trying to determine if you are right for the job, and 2) you are trying to find out if the job is right for you.

Since your time with the interviewer may be short, you can make a good impression and take advantage of the time you have by doing a little homework. Even the smartest and most qualified job seekers need to prepare for job interviews. Why, you ask? Interviewing is a learned skill, and there are no second chances to make a great first impression. So study these strategies to enhance your interview IQ.

Never Turn Down an Interview. There are many reasons as to why you should never decline an interview with a potential employer or recruiter. Not only do you have the opportunity to practice your interviewing techniques, but you never know what kind of valuable contacts you may develop from the encounter. Maybe the current job opening isn’t "the one for you"; however, a few months from now, the ideal position could become available. Making favorable impressions and networking with various people is an important part to moving your career in the direction you want.

Research the Company. Far too many people focus only on the first step of the job hunt which is earning an interview. All too many fail to prepare adequately for the interview itself. Find out as much as you can about the company and its products. The more you know about the company, the better you will appear in the interview. There are many sources of information on the Internet, especially if the company is publicly traded. Use any of the popular search engines to locate information, local business magazines websites or local newspaper websites to see if there are any articles on the company. If the company is publicly traded on the stock exchange, any of the free online quote services can link you to news, stock reports, press releases, analyst opinions and more. Know what is going on in the industry you are interviewing in and what the competition is doing.

Practice Good Nonverbal Communication. It's about demonstrating confidence: standing straight, making eye contact and connecting with a good, firm handshake. That first impression can be a great beginning -- or a quick ending -- to your interview.

Dress for the Job and Company. Today's casual dress codes in the office do not give you permission to dress as "they" do when you interview. It is important to look professional and well-groomed. Whether you wear a suit or something less formal depends on the company culture and the position you are seeking. If possible, call to find out about the company dress code before the interview.

Make a Good First Impression. Arrive early on the day of the interview to fill out any application materials, forms or tests. Have up to date interview material with you when you arrive; resume, references, samples of work, portfolio etc. Make a strong first impression with everyone you meet at the company, giving a firm handshake, looking everyone you meet in the eye, smile a lot and be sure to introduce yourself. Experts generally agree that people form an impression about you within 30 seconds so make those opening moments count.

Introduce Yourself. When someone asks an open-ended question, such as, "Tell me a little bit about yourself." Nothing can lose a listener’s interest faster than an over-detailed, rambling response. A well-prepared and practiced introduction is likely to capture an employer’s attention and leave them wanting more. Use descriptive statements that relate to your skills and achievements. Whether in an interview or just networking, a good initial presentation will set the stage for a positive and pro-active conversation.

Practice Beforehand. Rehearse answers to common interview questions; get a friend to ask you the questions if you need practice. Prepare a short list of questions you can ask the interviewer either about the company or about the position itself. Memorize these questions, don't read them off of notes, this way you will appear more spontaneous and conversational.

Sell Yourself. The key is to sell yourself by highlighting not only the knowledge, skills and abilities you could bring to the company, but also your accomplishments. As you answer the interview questions, make sure you are in a sales mode. Is the interviewer (buyer) getting the information they need from you (the salesperson) to make an informed decision to buy from you (offer you the job)? Don't forget to close the sale by asking for the job or next step!

Take Control of the Interview. Sometimes you will get an interviewer who is more of a screener than an interviewer. Typically these people are not skilled at asking the questions needed to draw out your background and abilities. If you run across an interviewer like this, be prepared to successfully guide the interview for them. Your overall objective should be to clearly and concisely communicate your skills and abilities to the employer, and feel confident that you have done so when the interview closes. You can strategically control the direction of the interview by asking targeted questions and offering additional information. Never leave an interview until you are certain you have fully promoted your abilities to interviewer.

Listen. From the very beginning of the interview, your interviewer is giving you information, either directly or indirectly. If you are not listening, you are missing a major opportunity. Good communication skills include listening and letting the person know you heard what he said. Observe your interviewer and match that style and pace.

Follow a Pattern. First you answer questions about your experience, background and qualifications, and then you ask questions about the job and the company. Remember that the interviewer is wondering how you can help the company. Your answers to his or her questions should illustrate how you can help the company achieve its goals. Think of your answers as painting a mental picture, can they "see" you in their mind's eye doing the job and doing it well. Find out about the job and the company when it's your turn to ask questions. Ask the questions you prepared in advance. Feel free to ask for specifics about whom you would report to and the duties and expectations of the position. Save questions about salary and benefits for negotiations after a job offer has been made. Also avoid any types of controversial questions until a second interview.

Don't Talk Too Much. Being long-winded during an interview makes you sound chatty and unprepared. Avoid this common mistake by keeping your answers to about 60-90 seconds or so during an interview (unless the answer really calls for a lot more detail). You can perfect this by practicing answers to typical interviewing questions ahead of time. Not only will you sound intelligent and polished, but you’ll also be less nervous knowing that you were prepared.

Convey Appropriate Body Language. During a job interview, what you convey non-verbally may be just as important as what you communicate verbally. Interviewers typically take note of a candidate’s non-verbal cues as they evaluate their skills and qualifications. Facial expressions, hand gestures, posture, and tone or inflection of voice all indicate a candidate’s level of confidence and overall interest in the role. Prior to an interview, have someone you know ask you "mock interview" questions, and then have them offer feedback on any non-verbal habits that may be distracting or unprofessional.

Don't Be Too Familiar. The interview is a professional meeting to talk business. This is not about making a new friend. Your level of familiarity should mimic the interviewer's demeanor. It is important to bring energy and enthusiasm to the interview and to ask questions, but do not to overstep your place as a candidate looking for a job.

Use Appropriate Language. It's a given that you should use professional language during the interview. Be aware of any inappropriate slang words or references to age, race, religion, politics or sexual preferences -- these topics could send you out the door very quickly.

Don't Be Cocky. Attitude plays a key role in your interview success. There is a fine balance between confidence, professionalism and modesty. Even if you're putting on a performance to demonstrate your ability, overconfidence is as bad, if not worse, as being too reserved.

Answer Questions Carefully. When an interviewer asks for an example of a time when you did something, he is seeking a sample of your past behavior. If you fail to relate a specific example, you not only don't answer the question, but you also miss an opportunity to prove your ability and tell about your skills.

Ask Questions. When asked if they have any questions, the majority of candidates answer, "No." Wrong answer. It is extremely important to ask questions to demonstrate an interest in what goes on in the company. Asking questions also gives you the opportunity to find out if this is the right place for you. The best questions come from listening to what is asked during the interview and asking for additional information.

Don't Appear Desperate. I know -- it's a tough job market and you need a job. But when you interview with the "please, please hire me" approach, you appear desperate and less confident. Maintain the three C's during the interview: cool, calm and confident. You know you can do the job; make sure the interviewer believes you can, too.

Close the Sale. Interviewing is about selling your self to a prospective company. At the end of the interview, reiterate how your skills will benefit the company, and let the interviewer know that you are interested in the position. If an interviewer has a choice between two equal people and one says they are interested in the position at the end of the interview and one doesn't, whom do you think they will call back?

Write Thank You Letter. The interview is over, but there is still more you can do to make a good impression. Always follow up an interview with a thank you letter or an email. This gives you a chance to reiterate how you would be a great fit for the company and to reiterate your interest level as well. Especially important is to draw on something from the interview that you both agreed upon, this will re-confirm in the interviewers mind about your "fit" for the company.

Common Interview Mistakes.

Poor eye contact: You don't need to stare at the interviewer 100% of the time, but you do need to look them in the eye when listening and speaking.

Poor appearance: Look clean, professional, and appropriate for the type of industry / job you are interviewing for. Even if it is a lower end, dirty labor job, a pair of Khaki's and button down shirt sets you apart.

Don't be too early or two late: Arrove 10 minutes early. Too early gives the appearance of desperation. Wait in the parking lot if you happen to get there too early.

Remember to breathe: Relax. An interview is simply a conversation between two or so people.

Don't give excessively simple or complex answers: If asked, "Have you done X?", don't simply say "Yes" or "No". Give examples of where you've done it. If it is something you haven't done, answer truthfully and give an answer that indicates you've done something similar or perhaps where you had to learn a new skill to complete the task.

Don't answer questions you don't understand: When asked something you don't understand, ask clarifying questions. "I may have done that, but I've not heard that phrase before. Can you explain how that's used here?". This does two things: it helps you understand the question and gives you time to think about an answer.

Don't simply conclude the interview and leave: Ask whether there are questions or doubts or areas where the interviewer is not sure about your skills. Ask what next steps are and when you can expect to hear something.

Don't be vague about money requirements: When asked about desired wage, don't give an overly evasive answer. State "I am looking at jobs in the $xx to $yy range, but salary is only one part of the overall package. Is this in your range for this position?". The interviewer needs to know your requirements are in the ballpark and doesn't have time to deal with BS answers.

Probably more stuff as I come upon it.

Google is your friend here.

Whats the line of work? The approach and preparation change from job to job. I've had to speak publicly and help teach courses on the subject (which is why I'm never on CR anymore). Knowing the position you are interviewing for would help greatly. General tips are great, but I say get all you can out of this. We have plenty of people on here that can have you shining like gold.

My degree is in electrical engineering, and I've always been in and am targeting to remain in the engineering field.

Phone interview tomorrow is for a design position for UPS (uninterruptible power supply) systems.

Sweet, good luck!

1. Test the phone you are going to use prior to the interview. Make sure its clear on both ends. Test how you sound. I would suggest a wired headset to allow you use of both hands.

2. Study the business. Knowing their lingo and direction is great for first impressions.

3. As stated early dress like you are going to an actual interview, Be seated and prepared with your notes organized in front of you.

4. Dont rush. Take the time to gather your thoughts. I typically say take a few seconds to choose your direction.

5. Do a mock interview. Take note of your biggest weakness. Since its a phone interview write it down and post it where you can see it as a reminder. This works wonders

6. Be able to speak to advances in the field and how it relates to the company.

7. Dont make a script.. scripts are easy to forget. Speak from experience and real life situations you remember vividly.

Possible questions:

Why did you choose this field

Questions about past projects

Questions about your ability to work within a team

What can you contribute

College acedemics

Why are you pursuing new employment

What are your strengths and weaknesses

Why should we consider you for the position

What tools are you familiar with?

What is your favorite part of the job

possible writing/reporting experience

Question about safety

What has been your greatest achievement in engineering so far

What questions do you have for me

Keep in mind a phone screening will probably only use a few of the above questions to see if you are a good job fit. I'm going off the top of my head so if anyone sees things Im missing please help out.

/\/\

What he said.

Also, if it goes into the "Tell me of a time when" type scenarios, it's generally considered the STAR method.

S ituation = Describe the issue, what was happening, ect ect

T ask = What was needed in order to fix situation

A ction = How well did the task get carried out, any deviations, how did you handle that, ect

R esult = What was the end result?

It's basically looking to be able to determine that you can clearly establish the problem, what needed to fix it, DID fix it, and result. No real wrong answers, just looking to see if you can demonstrate the above with whatever question they asked.

It's a fairly common interviewing technique so might see it.

/\/\

What he said.

Also, if it goes into the "Tell me of a time when" type scenarios, it's generally considered the STAR method.

S ituation = Describe the issue, what was happening, ect ect

T ask = What was needed in order to fix situation

A ction = How well did the task get carried out, any deviations, how did you handle that, ect

R esult = What was the end result?

It's basically looking to be able to determine that you can clearly establish the problem, what needed to fix it, DID fix it, and result. No real wrong answers, just looking to see if you can demonstrate the above with whatever question they asked.

It's a fairly common interviewing technique so might see it.

+1, this is a good one. probably not going to get this in depth over the phone, but i can guarantee it'll be there when you make it to the in person interview.

how'd the interview go?

Damn, how did I forget the STAR format! I have not seen a company in a long time that doesn't use that or some homemade form of it.

What I do is use my fingers to track what point I'm at on the STAR. I like to jump around when I get nervous, along with talking too fast. Placing my hands in my lap and counting to 4 on my fingers reminds me not to talk fast and track my progress in answering the question.