Eopinions wanted: 1968 C10 w/ original 396

BigOxley

Another vote to keep the paint and keep the engine. Get the casting numbers off the back of engine to which 396 you have. I don't think I would go with 20's but that is just me. A nice set of 18's and a little drop would be good for me. You have a nice truck. I always wanted one.

I don't think it's anything too special. I think my dad got it for less than 7000 a year ago.

If everything is pretty orginal, it actually might be worth something. CST is the top trim level.I see buckets and if those are original they are worth a pretty penny by themselves. Other options determine worth as well obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back home. My Dad bought the wrong manifold for it.

My Dads neighbor (a mechanic) came over and talked with me about it. The neighbor said he and my Dad pulled the plugs and found oil on 3 of them. Neighbor thinks its going to need a complete engine work over. He estimated a $6k job before everything is said and done.

Went back home. My Dad bought the wrong manifold for it.

My Dads neighbor (a mechanic) came over and talked with me about it. The neighbor said he and my Dad pulled the plugs and found oil on 3 of them. Neighbor thinks its going to need a complete engine work over. He estimated a $6k job before everything is said and done.

I am not 100% sure that your neighbor is a true friend to your dad.

Oil on the plugs could be something as simple as the valve seals. I would do a leak down check to see if its the valve seals or the oil control rings. Either way, I can't see 6k to rebuild that motor if you can do it yourself. Hell, I would bet some shops would even do it cheaper than that too.

• 4 weeks later...
Factory AC,Bucket Seats,Sport Truck Option,Tinted Glass, 396, etc. that truck is worth restoring to factory build sheet specs. Look under one of the seats and you might find the factory build sheet if the seats are original to the truck. I know both of my 70 Chevelle SS had them there. This is what I went off of when I restored them. I am not sure about trucks.

Factory AC,Bucket Seats,Sport Truck Option,Tinted Glass, 396, etc. that truck is worth restoring to factory build sheet specs. Look under one of the seats and you might find the factory build sheet if the seats are original to the truck. I know both of my 70 Chevelle SS had them there. This is what I went off of when I restored them. I am not sure about trucks.

Yep, with truck they also stuck the build sheet to under side of the seat. Rarer to find than in the cars though.

And I lied, it's missing one option that I can see and that's the tach option.