so....I quit drinking....

Shawn89

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey op goodluck on the quitting. i quit drinking on august 14 of this year and havent looked back. i had a problem not that i had to drink all day, but after work when i started i wouldnt stop drinking until i passed out or towards the end blacked out.

i dont know if you are a religious person or not, but i pray everyday to stay headstrong about not drinking. i havent had a craving and the smell of wine/beer/alcohol makes me feel sick. i've tried to quit cold turkey in the past and after about the 30 day mark i would crave a beer. i've made the decision this time that it is for good and somehow i havent had a single craving.

you need to keep your head mentally busy if you want to get through it. whatever you used to do or what you did will cause you to fall back into the same habbit again. we are after all creatures of habbit and like what feels familiar. change up your routine. if you dont have any pets, get a dog or a cat to have someone to spend time with. make sure you put your daughter as your number one priority. all of these things will help with the cravings that will eventually run into. lastly pray.

btw if you normally would go to the bar and hang out with the guys or friends, don't be afraid to say no to hang out once in awhile. once you relize you can go there and play pool, throw darts etc and not have a drink you will quickly realize you don't need alcohol to have a good time.

I am a religious person. Today I've been trying to spend as much time with my daughter as i can. I even went as far as taking the day if work to keep my head clear and hang out with the fiancée and or little girl. I think i might even go get a tattoo done today that I've been thinking about for a while. Well i think I'm going to go make some tea since beer is forbidden I'm thirsty as hell. I've found i like the stuff more that i don't have beer in my life

It's been touched upon already, but you seriously need help. Alcoholism is a disease, you won't likely get through it alone. If I were you I'd seek AA meetings, get a sponsor, take the 12 steps to recovery, and come away from it a better man. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any further questions or concerns about recovery.

Alcoholism is a disease, you won't likely get through it alone.

Folks calling addictions "diseases" has always bugged the hell out of me. It's not a disease, it's a behavior. The behaviors can certainly lead to diseases, and full-on withdrawal I'm sure feels like all sorts of terrible, but I refuse to label "drinking" and "smoking, injecting, snorting" as disease. Not to jump on you, your advice is sound. Maybe that's a pet peeve of mine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ive been but I went in support of my dad and uncle who had their own issues to deal with and I just wanted to make sure they'd go. Its honestly not bad at all and there is tons of interesting people that come from all walks of life.

The best part is no one judges you there and some guy could slam a 12 pack and start preaching to the group that he hasnt drank in years and gets applauded.

The point is that if your there your at least taking a step towards the right direction.

On average probably 6 to 8 beers and some liquor every night

That's a decent amount for your body to give up. Chemical dependency is a bitch. If you are having anger issues, then you should probably seek out a counselor as Kirk said. They will give you a chance to constructively release your anger and help with your coping skills. Not easy, but since you seem to be motivated to do this you can make it through.

Working out is the best stress reliever that I have done. Think of it like a dog. You have a dog with all of this excess energy and he is tearing up all of your stuff. You then take him out each day and run him around and he stops tearing up all of your stuff.

Good luck and if you can find a way to drink in moderation do so. If you can't, then stay away from it for your family's sake.

Folks calling addictions "diseases" has always bugged the hell out of me. It's not a disease, it's a behavior. The behaviors can certainly lead to diseases, and full-on withdrawal I'm sure feels like all sorts of terrible, but I refuse to label "drinking" and "smoking, injecting, snorting" as disease. Not to jump on you, your advice is sound. Maybe that's a pet peeve of mine.

I agree but alcoholism is a disease, my uncle is a full blown alcoholic for over 30 years. He has been in rehab/meetings/coma/detox for 5 straight years. He is fully functional/no one would know he is loaded up on 100$ worth of booze (minus his physical defects). At the hospital he is actually prescribed jim beam throughout the day on basically an hour basis. His body literally shuts down without it in his system. Doctors have told us it would be impossible for him to be 100% sober.

behavior did lead and cause this but once it is an actual problem where you cant get away from it I think it becomes a disease.

I've been to NA meetings with my best friend who kicked heroin addiction. Right now my family is dealing with my extremely alcoholic uncle. I never met my paternal grandfather, he died at 50 due to health problems directly resulting from severe alcoholism.

Some advice, just from my POV which is different than others;

Don't kick it for your daughter. Kick it for yourself. If you kick it for your daughter, what will happen when she no longer needs you as involved as you are now? Stop drinking because it makes you happy, not because your daughter needs you sober, because someday she won't. That's what happened to my uncle. His sons are out of the house now and he isn't a grandfather, so he's turned to the sauce because he doesn't feel needed.

This will sound harsh, and will probably get some hate, but it's my experience. Addiction is not a disease. It is a scapegoat. If alcoholism is a disease, then I've managed to magically rid myself of this disease in the short period between graduating college and getting a real job. By every definition, I was an alcoholic in college. I have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, and in college I couldn't not drink. I was always drunk, and binge drunk. Hospitalization didn't stop me. But then I just decided to stop being such an immature clod and scaled my drinking back to reasonable levels. Having a real job and real responsibilities helped, because I was able to prioritize. Again, this is harsh, but the people who are "unable" to control their drinking because of the disease of addiction are just not motivated enough. I'm sorry if I offend anybody with that.

EDIT: To the above post, that he is prevented from being sober is not a symptom of his disease, but rather a consequence of his actions, IMO. It's shitty that his actions have piled up in such a way, and I feel for your family. I wish him and the rest of you the best in helping him.

I brought up my friend who kicked H earlier. He is what you would call an addictive personality. They tried to get him to do the 12-step thing. He hated it. They kicked him out of rehab after 30 days for not going along with the program. He is totally able to drink responsibly and make adult decisions without going completely bonkers on drugs. He came back from rehab with a vehement hatred of the 12 step program. He thinks it's passing the buck; doing drugs was his decision and his alone, and the consequences were his to suffer. Having suffered them, changed his life, and stayed clean without the help of anyone beyond those who helped him detox, that's his belief.

LOL, to the person who neg-repped me with the comment ...

It's a disease. Fuck you.

Please provide me with a list of diseases you

A. Give yourself

B. Can completely avoid

C. Once acquired can be cured indefinitely by refusing to participate in causing behaviors

Alex and I are in total agreement. Calling addiction 'disease' is not only disingenuous, but allows the addicted to shift blame from him/her self, to an imaginary boogeyman they call disease. It's not their actions, it's the disease, they couldn't help themselves, they have a disease. Obviously genetic predisposition is a factor, however that in and of itself is not a disease.

Semantics? Maybe.

A. Give yourself

B. Can completely avoid

C. Once acquired can be cured indefinitely by refusing to participate in causing behaviors

Alex and I are in total agreement. Calling addiction 'disease' is not only disingenuous, but allows the addicted to shift blame from him/her self, to an imaginary boogeyman they call disease. It's not their actions, it's the disease, they couldn't help themselves, they have a disease. Obviously genetic predisposition is a factor, however that in and of itself is not a disease.

Semantics? Maybe.

disease[ dih-zeez ]

noun

1.*a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

2.*any abnormal condition in a plant that interferes with its vital physiological processes, caused by pathogenic microorganisms, parasites, unfavorable environmental, genetic, or nutritional factors, etc.

3.*any harmful, depraved, or morbid condition, as of the mind or society: His fascination with executions is a disease.

Right, semantics. I suppose in my brain a disease is something you contract, as opposed to create. However, being such a broadly defined term, maybe I shouldn't care. It is possible my annoyance lies in seeing the term used as an excuse, as was often the case with a friend of mine on the H. When I was smoking, was it a disease? I don't think so, I quit smoking, after just deciding to. I surely couldn't have quit lung cancer.

A. Give yourself

B. Can completely avoid

Semantics? Maybe.

I have to agree with you. Its not a disease. I've caused it myself by drinking way to much for way to long.