Neon P0304 cylinder #4 misfire

Browning

98 neon auto

Neon acted up again yesterday after driving all morning great, made a right turn close to home and it missed so bad I couldn't get it above 10mph. Was able to get 1/4 mile down the road by lightly tapping the pedal and letting off. When it died on me it would fire right back up but giving it gas would cause it to fall on its face and die.

First time it's done it since June. I first thought it was a heat thing as it seemed to only do it on really hot days(only happened a few times all together though in the last couple of years) since if you let it sit for an hour it would run like a champ again. Yesterday it sat for 30 minutes and then ran great all day except later in the day making a sharp turn into millersport at around 30mph. It missed mid turn but once the road straightened it was fine. So I assumed maybe it was something to do with having less than 1/2 tank of gas and sharp turns right after driving at highway speeds. Then I got this code from advance and I think that theory is out the window.

Has two stored but one is egr and it's always been there and comes and goes

P0401

P0304

Would like to nip this in the bud this weekend. running great again today.

Plugs are a couple months old, wires aren't much older and appear in great shape. Coil was swapped out last year when it first done it.

This has nothing to do with your concern but if your radiator is original, replace it ASAP! They all leak coolant into the transmission because the trans cooler rots away and happens to be inside of it.

The fact that its a P0304 is interesting because it means that cylinder 4 is misfiring enough to set the code. Believe me, it takes a lot to set a cylinder specific code in a Chrysler. So focus on Cylinder 4. What I would do to start off, is swap cylinder 4 spark plug and wire to cylinder 1 and reset the codes. see if the code follows. I've gotten plenty of bad plugs and wires before. Also, if you're not using cheap champion spark plugs, I highly recommend it. They can be temperamental about that. If it does not follow, rule out compression. Ive seen these motors burn valves before. Good luck man

It's not it was replaced right before I met her(g/f's car) after she wrecked it lol.

The thing that gets me is everything that code could be, should be happening all the time ie. manifold gasket leak, bad plug/wire/coil, burnt valve. Or am I wrong? Only thing I have seen online about this code that I would guess would come and go is a faulty and/or plugged injector. It's also weird the car runs great for months, then one day it decides to act like shit for an hour or so, then rinse and repeat lol.

It's not it was replaced right before I met her(g/f's car) after she wrecked it lol.

The thing that gets me is everything that code could be, should be happening all the time ie. manifold gasket leak, bad plug/wire/coil, burnt valve. Or am I wrong? Only thing I have seen online about this code that I would guess would come and go is a faulty and/or plugged injector. It's also weird the car runs great for months, then one day it decides to act like shit for an hour or so, then rinse and repeat lol.

Injector is definately a possibility. If I am not mistaken, they sometmes have wiring issues, so try tugging and wiggling the injector harness around, even at the ecu. If you really suspect an injector, I would swap it with another cylinder and see if it follows.

well I found a site that showed how to do a resistance test on the injectors. Not sure if I used the setting they used on my multimeter but I did #1 and #4 and got the exact same reading. It could still be an issue with it clogging though, correct? I also have no way at all to make the problem occur and every time it has happened I've been on the side of the road so I can't really diagnose anything.

• 3 weeks later...

mine had a very slight miss that started when I would be stopped and would go away once I am driving. I replaced it with a coil and wires from a magnum R/T from the junkyard. All was fine after that.

Regarding your radiator, Metro transmission(replace mine) said that 9 out of 10, the radiator ends up going out because people hit the bottom of it on curbs. It cracks and basically fucks your transmission by filling it with antifreeze.

Do an ohm test on your fuel injectors with the engine hot and see if number 4 is much different then the others. That might point you in the right direction, it might prove nothing, but I'd check it. If nothing seems off I'd look harder at your ignition components. Possibly spraying the engine with water while running to see if it starts missing.