Small Gun Safes

Fiji ST

I'm looking to get my mom and my brother each a gun safe for Christmas. I don't need anything huge as it will be for two handguns each plus room for clips/ammo.

I'm looking for something with a keypad or even one with a fingerprint scanner. It needs to fit in a normal size bedside table (hence it doesn't need to be huge). Something like this (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stack-On174-Biometric-Personal-Safes/1217833.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100210%26Ne%3D5100210%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsafe%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dsafe%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=safe&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products) for example.

I'm not familiar with safe companies so give me some advice. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/85687

I picked this up a few weeks ago after originally going in for a biometric safe like your looking for. I decided on this opposed to a biometric safe for a few reasons. I figured i would leave it locked during the day/when i didnt have the pistol on my person, and at night, i would put the key in, and unlock it with the door shut. This is just as fast, and more reliable (doesnt require batteries to work) than the bio safe. Also, only being $30 made the choice easier. Definitely consider this before blowing $200 on something that will do the same thing.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12785708&010=SKU-12551356&003=4239056&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:12785708

I use this. I have 2 pistols, mags and some other things inside of mine.

Power cord so you don't run off the battery, battery powered if the power goes out, light on the inside, 2 levels with a removable shelf and it has an alarm that goes off if someone is trying to get in it/ run away with it.

I'm sure you can find it cheaper than the link posted above (Meijer had it for 120 I think), I just grabbed the first link I found to it. They do also have models that you can use a fingerprint to open.

I've also heard bad things about stack on, but I'm sure it was more geared toward a larger safe and not a bedside.

I have a basic one similar to the one in the link from Vance's I picked up at Wal-Mart for $20 a few years back. Works great for what I want and need it for.

As for mounting it, mine came with a mounting kit (bolts and pre-drilled holes in the safe). Mine is bolted to the built in shelves in my closet.

What do you mount these safes to? Bed frame or something else?

Really anything you want. Mine also came with pre-drilled holes and all the hardware. I didnt mount mine though, just have it under my night stand. Works great for a third the cost of the bio ones.