converting Knee wall to partial open

Twistedrx7

Im looking for some advice to see if this is something worth doing. Currently i have 1.5 stairs that are currently closed/knee wall and want to convert them to a partial open.

Now, Im thinking i can just cut the stringer up to the drywall and remove the wall that was for the ballisters previously. Then, take the 2nd tread off and replace with a longer tread and put a curved step in at the bottom.

Do i need to remove the entire stringer or is it still possible to only cut the stringer for the bottom two steps to allow the open look?

Looking to replace with this at the bottom. and do a curved handrail.

http://bairdbrothers.com/Red-Oak-8010-Bullnose-Starting-Step-Riser-P3252.aspx

See below:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/twistedrx7/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_1001021914.jpg

So all you want to do is remove the small wing section at the bottom of the stairs, right hand side in pic, and then install the section in your link in its place?

Correct, remove the wall to the right of the stairs and then cut the stringer to fit a new tread and a curved stairs on the bottom

Thats tough without seeing it firsthand. I started out writing several different opinions but rethought each one. I am sure it can be done and still remain structurally strong, its just going to have to be custom to whats already there and what you have to work with. I assume you will have to cut out the 2x4 frame section and put in another vertical piece right at the wall and cover it in new drywall. Cut the stringer to the contour of the 2 steps and see once thats done how structurally strong it feels. If you completely remove that section of stringer from the 2 steps you will have to probably put in some 2x4 pieces to the bottom of the stairs, cut a piece of oak or 3/4 plywoodand mount it flush or recess it on the side. Screw this to the 2x4 pieces you attached to the bottom of the stairsand then to a 2x4 piece screwed to subfloor under stairs and the cover with drywall or stain if you went finished wood. I dont know if that makes any sense.