Oil in cylinders of Passat

zeitgeist57

What year/gen of FI ECU was that?

A vehicle from m/y 2000 would have FI logic developed in the mid-late 90s.... maybe they just didn't have it 100% figured out by then. It's even possible that with it being an n/a Passatt it was using previous gen FI logic/ECU. Then they saw this, and probably many other issues in the market and added additional fail/safe logic to later systems.

BMW has used the warmup temp codes that generally indicate an issue with the thermostat since the late '90's early 2000's. Most BMW owners should be able to chime in and say that it is common/happened to them.

-41* is just the number they chose the PCM to see if the sensor is "open". Typically it would set a code, but not in this case. He did have codes stored, but none for the coolant temp sensor. When it sets for this sensor it will usually specifically say "G62 ECT"

When I was over at the shop pulling codes for Anthony I walked out back now that the temp has dropped and started Clay's car for kicks. It fired right up no hesitation, no smelly smoke. Had a little bit of valve rattle, but nothing scary.

BMW has used the warmup temp codes that generally indicate an issue with the thermostat since the late '90's early 2000's. Most BMW owners should be able to chime in and say that it is common/happened to them.

-41* is just the number they chose the PCM to see if the sensor is "open". Typically it would set a code, but not in this case. He did have codes stored, but none for the coolant temp sensor. When it sets for this sensor it will usually specifically say "G62 ECT"

When I was over at the shop pulling codes for Anthony I walked out back now that the temp has dropped and started Clay's car for kicks. It fired right up no hesitation, no smelly smoke. Had a little bit of valve rattle, but nothing scary.

Thanks again, Sean! I really appreciate it. If I wasn't leaving first thing in the morning for Cincy I'd jump over there.

Anything I can do for the valve rattle? :)

Pretty typical, is it possible that any of the stored codes prevented it from looking at the ECT sensor? This type of thing happens all the time with GM, the car will see an issue with something and stop running self-diagnosis on other sub-systems.

You guys are putting a little to much thought into it. It's good to know there are techs like Sean smart enough to look at data and not try to diag off of codes alone. Not trying to start shit, just sayin.