help me avoid a craigslist scam...

evan9381

I'm taking every reasonable precaution that I can think of so let me start with that...

that being said, I found a carbon bike on Craigslist today. Guy had it listed for $2500 with some extra stuff that I did not need. I asked him what his bottom dollar would be on the bike alone, he said 1500. he also said he has receipts, which makes me feel more comfortable, but then he said he has a credit card statement, from his Trek card. It's a Cannondale bike. he agreed to meet me in the police department parking lot, and I told him if it seems sketchy, I'll skate. now I'm hoping to be able to get with the police department and check for any records of a reported stolen bike of that description, just to cover my ass for any receiving stolen property charges.

I think I've covered my bases, but what else might it be smart for me to look out for in this deal? I figure the worst that happens if it's fishy, is I'm out of about 35 dollars in gas, but if it checks out, I scored a hell of a deal

If a Trek card is just a regular old credit card there's nothing fishy about a Cannondale being bought on it. Even if it's only authorized for use at certain stores, it's not unthinkable that a different brand could be bought on it.

Ask if he'd do a bill of sale and show you a photo ID to verify information.

"I __(him)___ transfer legal ownership of ______ (item) AS IS to ____(you)____ for the agreed upon sum of $1500." And write down both your addresses, DOBs, and names at the bottom with your signatures and today's date.

In the worst case where it is stolen property, you're out $1500 but you at least made a very good faith effort to take responsibility off yourself.

Bill of Sale with the serial number doesn't sound like a bad idea...I should have thought about that, with the number of guns that I bought and sold over the years

I still have the bill of sale from when Howard sold me his Makarov, just in case CPD ever shows up wanting to test the gun from a murder that happened in 2010 :gabe:

well, thankfully I didn't have to make that 4 hour round trip drive for nothing. guy had a copy of the receipt, matched the bike. said his dad bought it for him for his grades in school and didn't know that he was selling it...could be true, could be bullshit, but he had a receipt, owners manual, bunch of stuff from when it was new, and I walked away with a $2800 dollar bike for $1200.

Yeah, i pretty much stole it from him, but both parties are happy, so oh well. lol

No to decide, do i keep my old road bike for training (its a heavier bike) and loan it out when someone wants/needs to ride with me, or do i sell it and try to pick up a mountain bike so i can go out and hit the trails with friends?

Yeah, i pretty much stole it from him, but both parties are happy, so oh well. lol

No to decide, do i keep my old road bike for training (its a heavier bike) and loan it out when someone wants/needs to ride with me, or do i sell it and try to pick up a mountain bike so i can go out and hit the trails with friends?

I would sell both ROAD bikes and buy an off road bike so you can safely ride somewhere out of my way.

Holy sheet that's expensive

$1200 or the price of it new? lol

$1200 is a deal for JUST a full carbon frame. let alone the components on it (shifters, etc) and wheels.. i ALMOST felt bad for the guy. almost. :dumb:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3783.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3785.jpg

nice bike but what's up with the k-mart pedals?

previous owner. dont worry, they're already off. i swapped them last night when i got home. though, idk WTF they were on a $3k bike for at all. i would've been happier if he sold them to me with no pedals. with those, it makes me think he was really riding it like that :lolguy:

spent time last night getting my good tires swapped, pedals swapped, lubed the drive train, got my garmin GPS sensors mounted, and the saddle position adjusted.