Who is at fault?

Rocky31186

Any guess on how many choppers CPD have?

More than NYC. True story.

I just saw the story on TV in the morning but regardless it's sad. IMO no high speed chase is worth endangering those around you.

After reading the latest update the guy who died was elderly and t-boned the cop who had lights and sirens going. My guess is the older guy had poor vision and hearing and at 4:30am wasn't likely fully awake/sober.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Any guess on how many choppers CPD have?

They have 6 total.

Sounds like we need more street racing penalties.

To quote a comment on 10tv.com:

"While I'm saddened to read such a story, I can't help but wonder if the officer had lights and sirens on while responding. I see officers frequently traveling at a high rate of speed in response to calls without lights or sirens. When I've called to complain I'm told that it policy for certain types of calls not to approach the scene with lights and sirens in order to not give away they are coming."

Valid question. If his lights were off, I don't see how anyone could say the cop is innocent, policy or not.

Officers respond some times with out the use of lights or sirens in the event that they dont want to scare off a suspect, instead, this allows them to possibly catch them red handed. Theyre not just running red lights for the hell of it people.

This is definitely not the police officers fault. Its sad that so many people always want to hate on cops all the time. They do way more for society than any other Joe Shmo walking the streets. This is to be said for everyone in public safety. The fact of the matter is, the cop wouldnt have crashed had he not had to respond for back up because of a criminals actions. This should in fact be put on the suspect because had he not threatened a life, cops wouldnt have to respond at high rate of speeds, regardless of whether or not it was or wasnt lights and sirens. People need to get off the whole "every cop is a crooked pig" wagon and start being thankful that theyre around. Regardless, sad that an innocent person had to die because of some d bag criminal.

They have 6 total.

Officers respond some times with out the use of lights or sirens in the event that they dont want to scare off a suspect, instead, this allows them to possibly catch them red handed. Theyre not just running red lights for the hell of it people.

This is definitely not the police officers fault. Its sad that so many people always want to hate on cops all the time. They do way more for society than any other Joe Shmo walking the streets. This is to be said for everyone in public safety. The fact of the matter is, the cop wouldnt have crashed had he not had to respond for back up because of a criminals actions. This should in fact be put on the suspect because had he not threatened a life, cops wouldnt have to respond at high rate of speeds, regardless of whether or not it was or wasnt lights and sirens. People need to get off the whole "every cop is a crooked pig" wagon and start being thankful that theyre around. Regardless, sad that an innocent person had to die because of some d bag criminal.

A little bit more forceful than I would've said it, but I agree with everything in this statement.

Hmm this makes me wonder...

What if a police officer is requested because someone thought an armed robbery was about to occur. On the way there the officer gets into an accident... blind turn, lights on through a red light.. When the other officer arrives its a guy with an open carry permit in a park. Do they blame the person that called it in since there was no real threat? The person that didnt stop/hear the sirens, or the guy sitting in a park scaring people with his gun on his side??? I didnt say the cop because he was just responding/doing his job and had his sirens on.

From what I was told if the sirens are on its the drivers fault that failed to yield.

The officers fault. I believe Ohio is a "no chase" state for this reason. Truely a sad event.

chase policies will vary with different precincts and counties...but it is not statewide.

I very much disagree with active pursuit for anything but big time reasons, murder, rape, etc. Radio, chopper, plane, figure it out a different way.

Sad.

it's a gray area. yeah, it can endanger others...but what if the driver is wanted for any of those reasons you listed? your random, mostly law abiding, citizen isn't going to risk taking off to avoid mail in ticket. if they're running, it's usually for a reason.

set a "no chase" policy and you're pretty much giving everyone that thinks the cop didn't get their plate a green light to haul ass and avoid the inconvenience of a speeding ticket.

Terminating the chase is generally the OIC's responsibility, that will most likely vary from area to area, but in general, that is how they get terminated, on occasion, the officer(s) in the pursuit will self terminate if it gets too dangerous.

Lights and siren do not give you an automatic "green light" to drive dangerous, sometimes people in surrounding cars are distracted (hard to believe,huh?), don't see the cruiser, hear the sirens etc..., or maybe it was just an unfortunate occurrence that resulted in a traffic crash.

You do need to consider some things, if the police are chasing a vehicle, maybe it was used in a robbery, murder, shooting, kidnapping, if any of those things involved you or your family, would you want them to pursue? Or maybe just break it off because someone could get hurt? Same thing with responding to a suspicious person(s), breaking and entering, robbery in progress. The ones that are so "anti-police", I would urge you to go on a "ride along" to see what some of these guys face every day of the week, it will open your eyes.

We've all gotten traffic tickets for stuff we have done, sometimes for stuff we haven't done (me included), I don't harbor any ill will for the police for it, I am sure I deserved what I got as I have gotten away with plenty of infractions. Just sayin'

Apparently I'm the 1% that thinks the officer should not have been going that fast. Almost all emergency vehicles I see and yield to, slow down at all intersections.

Just about everyone I've talked to in person other than officers I know. Say it's the guys own fault for pulling out in front of him.