New rules- NHRA Amends Roll Bar/Cage Rules For ’08-Later Street Vehicle

CRAWDAD

67734_10151359447502112_2142684480_n.jpg

http://www.stangtv.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

This just in...NEW NHRA RULE FOR 2008 AND NEWER VEHICLES...NHRA recently amended the roll bar rule for street legal vehicles. Model year 2008 and newer unaltered, OEM production vehicles running slower than 9.99 seconds and under 135 MPH do not have to meet the roll bar requirements for ET racing. This is great news for 'Stangbangers who have had to slow down or stop racing entirely because of the 11.49 e.t. rule. Some restrictions still remain, however. All drivers must meet the Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements. Convertibles and T-Top entries must still comply with the current NHRA roll bar rule.

The NHRA’s annual round of rule amendments to be included in the 2013 rulebook include a wide range of changes across every category in the sport, but one in particular is of rather great significance to street legal drag racers and the enthusiast community as a whole.

Recognizing the safety-inspired design and construction of today’s late model vehicles, the NHRA has actually rescinded its previous guidelines for street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49 that required the use of a roll cage or roll bar, now permitting unaltered, 2008 and later model hard top vehicles to compete as they come from the factory without the addition of said roll bar/cage. The amendment, as its phrased in the NHRA’s 2012 to 2013 amendment document states:

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)

Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

This amendment is in fact a huge boon to the enthusiast community that’s been driven away from organized racing at NHRA member tracks in the past due to the costs of making their vehicles legal to compete. Cars like the 2013 GT500 Mustang and the Corvette ZR1 are capable of surpassing the 11.50 mark right off the showroom floor. We’ve yet to conclude the exact meaning behind the wording “unaltered” in the text and whether that refers to the vehicle frame or the existence of power adders and the iike.

These racers who previously had to slow their vehicles down or not show up at a track at all are now able to compete without the modifying their expensive factory cars, and regardless of who this new rule applies to and who it doesn’t, it certainly opens some racers up to visit a race track again.

Curiosity question: Does NHRA (or any other group) take a stock OEM of every vehicle and race it a couple of times just to get an idea of what an unaltered car is capable of? IOW, how would I know my _____ falls under category ____ unless I either race it myself to find out, or have some sort of reference?

Curiosity question: Does NHRA (or any other group) take a stock OEM of every vehicle and race it a couple of times just to get an idea of what an unaltered car is capable of? IOW, how would I know my _____ falls under category ____ unless I either race it myself to find out, or have some sort of reference?

Probably they use data supplied by the manufacturers for most of it, with a bit of real world data from paid track testing sessions during the pre-production shakedowns.

Hmm now stock gtr's are allowed to run at test n tune.. Now the 08+ rule should change because an 06 c6z with a extremely good driver and great track conditions can mop out a high 10.. Well since your car is 2 years shy of the 08 mark and you surpass the 11.49 et go home your done for the day.. I really hate how they have these dumb rules... It's not the 80's or 90's where it takes an excessive amount of mods to run a 11.5 pass... Should lower it to 9's= roll cage for all vehicles in full street trim.. Sorry your gutted race car needs a roll cage regardless of et/traps..

Hmm now stock gtr's are allowed to run at test n tune.. Now the 08+ rule should change because an 06 c6z with a extremely good driver and great track conditions can mop out a high 10.. Well since your car is 2 years shy of the 08 mark and you surpass the 11.49 et go home your done for the day.. I really hate how they have these dumb rules... It's not the 80's or 90's where it takes an excessive amount of mods to run a 11.5 pass... Should lower it to 9's= roll cage for all vehicles in full street trim.. Sorry your gutted race car needs a roll cage regardless of et/traps..

Not sure if serious....

Gutted race cars need roll cages, well because they are gutted. Even with this rule I would not go those speeds without proper safety equipment. There are plenty of people who have walked away from horrifying crashes because of these rules.

Unless Im understanding this wrong, you can go 10's with a gt500 which is the same body as my GT with twins but I cannot? Hoping that Im reading something wrong

This rule is for 100% OEM vehicles. Regardless of the speed/times the car must be as delivered from the manuf. It's to allow stock vehicles to run in stock classes without having to be turned into a caged out race car. It may have to do with pressure to get these factory cars off the street or meet other rules in place or planned...

Who want's to hack up the interior of their $100k car to go drag racing a few times?

It's not that I mind them scraping you off the track because you crashed your 100k car. It's the fact that it's race time I'm losing because they didn't want to put a bar in the car. When I put a cage in my 10k car. That's the real concern

Watch some spoiled rich ass kid wreck his GT500 or ZR1 and his parents will go after the NHRA. Roll Cages save lives. You will not see me sad when some dumbass in his GT500 breaks an axle and puts his car into the wall killing himself.

Everyone signs a waiver to race, surely the NHRA would have lawyers review any rule changes that could result in that... ;)