AR parts

XChris1632X

I tried doing some online searches but didn't get any type of answers that I was looking for. I'm not looking to quickly or completely build my AR but I wouldn't mind changing a few things soon. I don't want to put a whole bunch of Chinese silly fucking parts on it that I will never use either. I know I'm going to get an aimpoint. Other than that I have no big plans. I do however, want to change out my hand guards. I just don't know exactly what I want. My onowledge on these things are limited as far as parts go. Recommend me some hand guards and show some pics if you can. Is there any other "must have" parts?

Before anyone asks, I am pretty proficient with this weapon. I have had a lot of time behind this weapon throughout my military career. I just have never owned one nor do I know of all the aftermarket parts available. I have plenty of ammo and magazines are on their way. I don't want to go crazy, I just want a part or two to make it my own. First, the hand guards. I don't want to join another forum either. I have my hands full with this forum and I know there are enough educated people here that can help me out if they are in the mood to do so.

I don't disagree but I didn't see any trigger mods as a must have right away? I'm just wanting to get it up and operational. I would set it up exactly like my duty weapon if I knew what parts were used.

My priorities:

Bore snake, hand guards, and a legit must have item(if applicable)

If you're building this rifle, drop in a better trigger than a "stock" trigger. Shoot a 2-stage trigger or a Geissele trigger, and you'll understand why. The rest can be ergonomics and what you feel is comfortable. I hate the traditional pistol grip and much prefer the MIAD grip from Magpul. I've tried the Ergo and the Hogue grips and were never really comfortable. Next would be the trigger well, but after that is all you. I like having an enlarged charging handles, some form of textured rail panels, QD sling mounts, etc..... All in how you like your set up. Made all the difference in the rifle overall as far as comfort and ergonomics.

Do you want a free float handguard or drop in? What does it have now? If you aren't sure, post a pic of it. Cheap trigger upgrade would be an ALG ACT. If you like to shoot tucked in, get a pistol grip from http://ucwrg.com otherwise get whatever Magpul looks good to you. Also easy to swap the stock to something more comfortable, again look at Magpul

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/XChris1632X/Guns/IMAG0064.jpg

This is another guys duty weapon that is similiar to mine. I like these hand guards. I dont know what they are called or know much about them. When I tried to look for some I got lost in all the different variations. On this style the they are just rails with covers on them correct?

The only thing I know that I don't want is the forward verticle grip. I hate them.

I only have a BAD lever on mine, with a charging handle and an eotech. As close to my work rifle with only those three things different, they all are functional add ons in my opinion.

BAD lever - makes locking and releasing the bolt so much easier

charging handle - I was a hater of these at first but was won over by how much easier it made manipulating the charging handle especially with gloves on.

eotech - like the aimpoint but for me better field of view and quicker to aquire the sight. I didn't want an ACOG for a personal weapon that won't see anything past 300 meters

I almost forgot I put another front sight post in it so it wasn't as big and it would be easier to to focus on a smaller sight picture with it

That's a drop in quad rail, should be plenty of companies that make them. Make sure its listed as carbine or car length, as that is your gas system length. I would ditch the carry handle, get a flip up rear site and whatever optics.

The Magpul BAD lever can cause some guns to not lock the bolt back on an empty mag, seems to be pretty random, fyi

Also, if you want a sling decide if you want a one point our two and decide where you want it attached, lots of attachment options

I only have a BAD lever on mine, with a charging handle and an eotech. As close to my work rifle with only those three things different, they all are functional add ons in my opinion.

BAD lever - makes locking and releasing the bolt so much easier

charging handle - I was a hater of these at first but was won over by how much easier it made manipulating the charging handle especially with gloves on.

eotech - like the aimpoint but for me better field of view and quicker to aquire the sight. I didn't want an ACOG for a personal weapon that won't see anything past 300 meters

I almost forgot I put another front sight post in it so it wasn't as big and it would be easier to to focus on a smaller sight picture with it

I might think about the lever and the charging handle. I am pretty used to the setup as it is now since this is all I have ever used my entire military career. There are prob a few things I want to do before hand. I think eotechs are great but I am used to the aimpoint and shoot proficiently enough with it that I think I want to stick with it. Im just used to it I guess.

only thing forward grips are good for are SAWs

Agree. I sometimes wish I could like them but I just cant. It feels very funny to me. I am most comfortable with holding on the mag well. I have been advised against it my whole career but it is what feels most natural for me.

That's a drop in quad rail, should be plenty of companies that make them. Make sure its listed as carbine or car length, as that is your gas system length. I would ditch the carry handle, get a flip up rear site and whatever optics.

The Magpul BAD lever can cause some guns to not lock the bolt back on an empty mag, seems to be pretty random, fyi

Also, if you want a sling decide if you want a one point our two and decide where you want it attached, lots of attachment options

I am looking into the quad rail. The carry handle is already gone. I dug into some of my overseas gear and found my old sling. The Tru Glow is on just to have something until I do pick up an optic worth sighting in. I will prob mount this "optic" on my boys bb gun after Im done with it because that is about all it is good for.

Here is how it looks as of now.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/XChris1632X/Guns/Untitled.jpg

Next thing to buy is the quad rail and the Aimpoint. I will start looking into triggers as well. I will prob look to start putting that other lower together as well so I can add parts to this setup and keep the stock ones for the other gun.

I have a drop in quad rail for that specific setup. Made by Diamondback, I swapped it out for a free float 15" system for my DMR. Uses Magpul rail sections for attachments

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Schmuckingham/For%20sale%20stuff/IMG_0116.jpg

Also might want to look into a good muzzle device, I love my battlecomps but there are also some other good ones out there.

My point was to go light and only have what I need on my rifle. I use the Magpul MOE hand guard with an added rail for my light mount and a direct sling attachment.

AAC Blackout Flash Hider. Not much kick to the AR so I decided against a brake or compensator. Brakes create a lot of noise and flash and a compensator doesn't come close to a dedicated flash hider. At least not the ones I was looking at.

I also have the BAD Lever on my AR as well. Since you're familiar with how your weapon operates I would suggest picking one up.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=655&pictureid=6818

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=655&pictureid=6817

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=655&pictureid=6816

I'm doing some heavy searching for different rails that I like before I commit. Rob we need to get together. I would like to check yours out in person.

Not a problem, you got my number. we can pop off a few rounds in the back yard or take it to the range. my cousin has one with different rails and covers also that i can get for you to try out.

i also have pages of AR pictures i saved trying to research and find what i liked. text me your email and i'll send it to you.