AWD + Snow = Fun

racerx78

I'll agree that Snow tires are > A/S tires no matter what the drivetrain layout is. That is what i use to run until recently. There isn't much to choose frorm, in size(245/45/20) for winter tires, without having to buy another size of rims. Also with the winters being so mild the past few years most of the time the roads are clear so the winter tires aren't as much of a benefit (except for the tread maintaining flexibility in lower temps.) With as long as my daily commute is driving on clear streets with winter tires would wear them out sooner. With the Motivo, i get decent snow and ice traction. Good traction every other time with the ground is clear. Also Longer treadlife. I'm ok with the trade off.

im sure it was fun but ughh my fwd accord can do that with the ebrake... :lol: stuff was weak!

It was impromptu, since it was later in the afternoon and i was trying get it in before someone could kill my fun. Hopefully we have more real snow days this season, then i can find something more out of the way. to play alittle bit longer.

I had to take Mom's Element up to the parts store...which involved a side trip to a deserted parking lot. WORST. AWD. EVER. Undefeatable traction control and vehicle stability means as soon as you get it drifting nicely, the computers step in and try to wrench it back straight forward...

I have an '03 Element 5 speed. 2wd and it is fun in the snow. None of that traction control crap. Element is AWD so the rear only kicks in when it senses the front slipping, it is not a true full AWD like a subi or Evo.

OP, looks like a blast! Sweet car. Tell your son to hold the camera still.

I got the angry finger point by a cop doing a few donuts in the parking lot earlier today. :)

A few years ago we got a bunch of snow one night so my buddy and I went up to Columbus Square around 11pm. We saw 2 cops in a cruiser trying to play, but it was pretty sad. So we went to the other side of the plaza, saw a cop writing a report, and we asked him if he cared if were played around a bit. He asked if we had been drinking, we said no. He said, go ahead, have fun. Just stay away from any parked cars you might see, and if another officer stops you, just tell him you were practicing driving in the snow to get experience and wanted to do it while there was no traffic out. CPD FTW.

When I was in Dayton and we got that 24" or whatever dumped on us, I was in the WalMart lot doing donuts like crazy in my my old Ford Bronco II when I saw the red/blue's flashing and a spotlight hitting me. I stopped to see an officer waving the angry finger and motioning for me to "get over here". I thought, great.......

I drove over there and saw two cruisers parked door to door like they were BS'ing and one of the officers was out approaching me. I stopped and and the conversation went like this:

Officer #1 - "Having fun over there?"

Me - "Yup, just messing around. Didn't think it would be a big deal in this large empty lot with nothing around."

Officer #1 - "Well, you really shouldn't be doing that. I could write you a ticket ya know."

Me - "Sorry sir, if you let me go, you'll not see me around doing anything similar again."

At this time Officer #2 approaches my truck somewhat swiftly and I get a little nervous.

Officer #2 - "Can you just pull us the hell out of here already, we're STUCK! Don't let him scare you!!"

Me - "No problem sir, I got a tow strap in the back. It's already hooked to my hitch as i've been pulling people out since this started."

I hop out, wrap my tow strap around the bull bar on #2's cruiser and drag him across the lot, out to the main street where it's somewhat clear and unhook him. He thanks me and heads off. I return and repeat the process for #1 but when we hit the clearing he hops out before I can and he hands me a piece of paper. I think SHIT! STILL A FUCKING TICKET! He smirks as he drives away....

I hop in my truck and look, it was a blank sheet of paper with "Keep your nose clean Mr. Gill" written on it with my address and his card. Turns out, he was my neighbor a street or so back and he knew who I was already. He stopped by a few days after and we talked for a bit, he let me know where he lived and overall seemed to be a great guy.

When I was in Dayton and we got that 24" or whatever dumped on us, I was in the WalMart lot doing donuts like crazy in my my old Ford Bronco II when I saw the red/blue's flashing and a spotlight hitting me. I stopped to see an officer waving the angry finger and motioning for me to "get over here". I thought, great.......

I drove over there and saw two cruisers parked door to door like they were BS'ing and one of the officers was out approaching me. I stopped and and the conversation went like this:

Officer #1 - "Having fun over there?"

Me - "Yup, just messing around. Didn't think it would be a big deal in this large empty lot with nothing around."

Officer #1 - "Well, you really shouldn't be doing that. I could write you a ticket ya know."

Me - "Sorry sir, if you let me go, you'll not see me around doing anything similar again."

At this time Officer #2 approaches my truck somewhat swiftly and I get a little nervous.

Officer #2 - "Can you just pull us the hell out of here already, we're STUCK! Don't let him scare you!!"

Me - "No problem sir, I got a tow strap in the back. It's already hooked to my hitch as i've been pulling people out since this started."

I hop out, wrap my tow strap around the bull bar on #2's cruiser and drag him across the lot, out to the main street where it's somewhat clear and unhook him. He thanks me and heads off. I return and repeat the process for #1 but when we hit the clearing he hops out before I can and he hands me a piece of paper. I think SHIT! STILL A FUCKING TICKET! He smirks as he drives away....

I hop in my truck and look, it was a blank sheet of paper with "Keep your nose clean Mr. Gill" written on it with my address and his card. Turns out, he was my neighbor a street or so back and he knew who I was already. He stopped by a few days after and we talked for a bit, he let me know where he lived and overall seemed to be a great guy.

Awesome, love these kind of stories, always make me smile.