Investing for 2013

Miller

Looks like a good time to get in today. Hope it isn't the start of a down pattern.

Curious, VXX looks like an exchange traded fund? Is that something that can be traded like a stock or is it subject to rules similar to mutual funds.

I took a decent hit right off the bat, im using it more as a hedge.

ETFs trade like stocks, you pay a commission for the trade just like a stock usually. There is an expense ratio/fee for management much like a mutual fund but with the ability to trade them daily. Also, look for small spreads in the bid/ask

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear CR investing experts, any insight on the precious metal market? Mainly what's the hell is going on with gold?

I don't deal in the commodities themselves, but do watch metals mining companies as a directional indicator. If you didn't already know, gold, is one of those "panic" commodities such as we've seen recently with ammo so in bad times it does well and in good times it loses value. The sad part is since its purchased by a bunch of people who know nothing about markets they end up buying at the wrong time such as in the past couple months/years, held to long and they get stuck for decades like we seen from the mid 1970's. Those buyers only recently would have been able to sell for a profit.

The good news for people with money and people who do invest is, due to the numbers of people driving gold up in recent years due to the panic it creates a safe place for money through a recession which then smart money dumps and starts getting back into other means of investing, ie stocks. This is the reason I watch the mining companies, it gives me some more incite on what the smart money is doing.

Personally I'd dump all gold and go long on stocks for while, we've probably got a good long run up for years to come. I am anticipating obamacare will make things slower than they could be, but we aren't likely to have any major recessions for awhile which will likely keep gold prices suppressed.

Also anyone with 401K's set to be conservative should really consider switching to a very aggressive strategy.

I don't deal in the commodities themselves, but do watch metals mining companies as a directional indicator. If you didn't already know, gold, is one of those "panic" commodities such as we've seen recently with ammo so in bad times it does well and in good times it loses value. The sad part is since its purchased by a bunch of people who know nothing about markets they end up buying at the wrong time such as in the past couple months/years, held to long and they get stuck for decades like we seen from the mid 1970's. Those buyers only recently would have been able to sell for a profit.

The good news for people with money and people who do invest is, due to the numbers of people driving gold up in recent years due to the panic it creates a safe place for money through a recession which then smart money dumps and starts getting back into other means of investing, ie stocks. This is the reason I watch the mining companies, it gives me some more incite on what the smart money is doing.

Personally I'd dump all gold and go long on stocks for while, we've probably got a good long run up for years to come. I am anticipating obamacare will make things slower than they could be, but we aren't likely to have any major recessions for awhile which will likely keep gold prices suppressed.

Also anyone with 401K's set to be conservative should really consider switching to a very aggressive strategy.

Damn, first AAPL, and now gold. Those two alone take up 80% of all my investing.

Damn, first AAPL, and now gold. Those two alone take up 80% of all my investing.

If you wanted to get back your losses you could hold on to both for the next 10-30yrs and you might get most of it back and maybe even make more profit.

Otherwise simply cut your losses and "invest" properly by distributing your money across many stocks, etc in diversified sectors so that you don't have any single huge losers in the future. This is what "investors" do and they go long and it does work. Myself I'm a trader and minimize my risk by knowing the market directions and not staying in overnight unless its an obvious good move. I still take losses, but its 2-3% then I move on to something else to recoup the loss quickly. I learned the hard way about the "popular" stocks a long time ago and typically once they've become popular you've already missed the big movements and its the age old "pump and dump" to get the first buyers out with a nice profit on the backs of the uninformed.

Learning some technical analysis, ie charting will help you avoid bad timing in the future.

If you wanted to get back your losses you could hold on to both for the next 10-30yrs and you might get most of it back and maybe even make more profit.

Otherwise simply cut your losses and "invest" properly by distributing your money across many stocks, etc in diversified sectors so that you don't have any single huge losers in the future. This is what "investors" do and they go long and it does work. Myself I'm a trader and minimize my risk by knowing the market directions and not staying in overnight unless its an obvious good move. I still take losses, but its 2-3% then I move on to something else to recoup the loss quickly. I learned the hard way about the "popular" stocks a long time ago and typically once they've become popular you've already missed the big movements and its the age old "pump and dump" to get the first buyers out with a nice profit on the backs of the uninformed.

Learning some technical analysis, ie charting will help you avoid bad timing in the future.

Thank you and I value your advices. I bought gold back when it was $300/oz and I kept on buying it until now or whenever I can afford. I bought my big chunk of AAPL when it was right around $200/share. So as of right now I'm still in profit.

Your advice about AAPL made a lot of sense to me. I sold half of mine shares last week and about to buy gold with that money. I may hold off from that now and do a little more researching.

Sounds like your not in a bad spot at all then. Could simply hold on since your long. I'd look for other opportunities if it was my decision.

I'm not really knowledgeable on exchange traded funds, but used my scottrade research tools to pick "PEJ" from some criteria and then looked at the fundamentals. It seems like it might be a good long position, but as I said I don't really do long much. Maybe someone else can chime in on some nice possibilities.

Dear CR investing experts, any insight on the precious metal market? Mainly what's the hell is going on with gold?

This is something you should research a bit more instead of just asking the question on CR - I'm glad I did my own research on this market and didn't take a lot of shitty advice that was thrown my way.

My investment plan is a little different, I just got engaged to a medical student at osu that's 9 yrs younger than me......

she get's big girl job....I retire. lol

Yeah, not everyone can be a winner like you. Remember who you marry to, she may use you for "practice" one day. Congrats!!

This is something you should research a bit more instead of just asking the question on CR - I'm glad I did my own research on this market and didn't take a lot of shitty advice that was thrown my way.

Doing your own research is key to investing and IMHO should be as important as any other part of a persons life. Especially since it could determine how you live a significant portion of it.

Important points for investing:

Today's headlines are only useful as an indicator of the accuracy of your past predictions/analytical strategies.

Know the historic trends. My dad showed me an interesting graphic; periods of recession have followed increased interest rates from the central bank by a margin of, on average, 2.5 years. When interest rates drop again, people are more willing to invest. The Fed has backed off their position in terms of setting a deadline when they'll start moving interest rates, but they were previously saying they wouldn't change anything until 2015. Interest rates are as low as possible. As was posted earlier, now is the time to get very aggressive with your 401k.

edit: my dad's a CFA and knows what he's doing. was previously in charge of Nationwide's $60bn portfolio.

another note: sequestration is set to kick in soon (March). This will be very painful to investors who are currently in the market, but will be a great time to buy in.