IE only organizations

Akula

My company's HR site only works right on I think ie 5, assuming it will even work then. It also requires some cache cleaner add on that never wants to install. I've never been able to log on from home in any browser.

IE 5? You realize how old that is?

It's so old it's the last version of IE you could load on a Mac OS.....

My company's HR site only works right on I think ie 5, assuming it will even work then. It also requires some cache cleaner add on that never wants to install. I've never been able to log on from home in any browser.

"Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 (IE5) was a graphical web browser released on March 18, 1999..."

jesus christ

Hmm strange, I got mine to just open to a blank page, hasnt changed in a long time either.

Maybe I'll try again and see if it stays...

...they are planning on moving us to I-Space next. Bastardized version of Windows 7. Not sure how well this will go especially since we already know there are software conflicts with that and current software we use.

IE 5? You realize how old that is?

It's so old it's the last version of IE you could load on a Mac OS.....

Yup. They have the same browser requirement now that they did when I started with the company well over 7 years ago. And their website interface is nearly still as shitty.

Edit - just looked and its IE 6. Some stuff works in Firefox but not enough that its worth using.

We have free reign over installing whatever we want, but many of our applications will only run/launch successfully in IE.

We are however forced to use shitty, terrible, awful Lotus Notes. The webmail version of Notes does not work very consistently in anything outside of IE.

Maybe I'll try again and see if it stays...

...they are planning on moving us to I-Space next. Bastardized version of Windows 7. Not sure how well this will go especially since we already know there are software conflicts with that and current software we use.

We have a few testing it as well, they first just were going to roll out win 7 but nothing worked at all so they are going to I-space. I just wish they would fix what they have one of my programs have and obvious memory leak and within 4 hrs I am using 3 gigs of RAM for one session.

IE is the only thing our customer database will work on, but I use Chrome for everything else. Used to be IE only and it sucked.

^^ Same here. Not sure if it's an IBM software thing or just the way we have it deployed but most all of our databases and reporting is only compatible with IE. I use Firefox for most things though.

Internet explorer? Chase does here. I try to go to firefox and it's blocked at the firewall.

Odd I use firefox and IE @ chase, But most of the internal chase sites are designed for IE and screw up in firefox. I usally use firefox for my browseing and ie for my wokr

Thanks for the input on this. As a web security guy I never use IE simply because it is the biggest attack fabric. The IE 8 flaw that is out now is pretty nasty.

If you are a web coder and your code only runs in IE, you aren't a web coder. HTML 4/5 should render in any modern browser. If you are forgetting tags and expecting the browser to render correctly, you are designing for IE.

Most sites that are "IE Only" are doing a user-agent check, which is easily faked via user-agent injection.

I prefer Firefox but that is because of tools like Firebug.

Thanks for the input on this. As a web security guy I never use IE simply because it is the biggest attack fabric. The IE 8 flaw that is out now is pretty nasty.

If you are a web coder and your code only runs in IE, you aren't a web coder. HTML 4/5 should render in any modern browser. If you are forgetting tags and expecting the browser to render correctly, you are designing for IE.

Most sites that are "IE Only" are doing a user-agent check, which is easily faked via user-agent injection.

I prefer Firefox but that is because of tools like Firebug.

Any detail on the flaw?

Actually, our employer recommends ie7 now. And the web sites are much improved from when we started.

Also, to log into our sites from home choose the link to bypass the Juniper crap.

or read the entire thread

Ahhh, I suck.

Thanks.

P.S. This is why I F-ING HATE ADOBE FLASH! On my last computer a virus loaded on my computer when I visited a car forum. It came from a banner ad and loaded through Flash and killed my computer. I has to wipe it clean.