Hurricane Sandy Flood cars

Mallard

There are a ton of vehicles hitting auction now that have been totaled due to flood damge. This is a great time for anyone to look for a race car chassis, or something for a motor swap, IMO.

Tell me all the reasons I shouldn't bid on something for a couple hundred bucks and put an LSx in it.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ad37foidr43jpg/original.jpg

i would see these cars never hitting the market, like mazda in '06

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/05/07/mazda-destroyed-4703-brand-new-cars-after-cargo-ship-accident/

When I worked on the railroad, they said if a train hauling new cars gets in an accident of any type, they scrap every single car on the train for insurance reasons.. even if it's completely obvious the cars are not damaged in any way.

When I worked on the railroad, they said if a train hauling new cars gets in an accident of any type, they scrap every single car on the train for insurance reasons.. even if it's completely obvious the cars are not damaged in any way.

I heard a story of a load of Escalades getting used a traction for heavy equipment after a derailment.

You have to worry about more than interior when it comes to flood cars. Ive fixed dozens of flood cars over the years that have come into my shop and the interior is the least of the customers worries. Dont just think it needs $400.00 worth of carpet and your good to go.

how do you find the flood cars on that site?

Quick Picks -> Flood damage

Or after a search you can filter for flood damage.

The bid you place on that site is a pre-bid that will essentially start the live bidding. Sounds like the only way you are guaranteed to get a car is if you work with a broker who bids on your behalf.

I would not touch a single one of those cars, even for a "race chassis."

They might appear to look and function O.K. right now, but I don't think you guys understand how much damage is actually done by salt water.

They might appear to look and function O.K. right now, but I don't think you guys understand how much damage is actually done by salt water.

this man speaks the truth

I tried to post this earlier, but my phone wouldn't post :dumb:

I wouldn't personally buy any of those cars unless they were going to get parted out.

I dunno, buy a corvette for $2k and drive it a few years at a track and then sell it for parts. I lived in NY, I dealt with major salt winters and it does corrode things, but over 15 years. Figure a "salt water" bath would do that in a few days under water. Strip it and race it.

There's no water in the head lights, or even fog lights.. Corvettes are plastic. Only thing steel on them is the coated frame. If you could get that car for 2-4k jump! You could easly part that car out and make 3-4x your money back easy.. Dibs on the black headlights : ) Easy 500$ off the bat

I tried to post this earlier, but my phone wouldn't post :dumb:

I wouldn't personally buy any of those cars unless they were going to get parted out.

I dunno, buy a corvette for $2k and drive it a few years at a track and then sell it for parts. I lived in NY, I dealt with major salt winters and it does corrode things, but over 15 years. Figure a "salt water" bath would do that in a few days under water. Strip it and race it.

There's no water in the head lights, or even fog lights.. Corvettes are plastic. Only thing steel on them is the coated frame. If you could get that car for 2-4k jump! You could easly part that car out and make 3-4x your money back easy.. Dibs on the black headlights : ) Easy 500$ off the bat

You guys don't get it.

When a car has been dunked in salt water, even as far up as the wheel wells, just about everything is ruined. We're talking about salt water in places that haven't been treated, the oxidizing of the hundreds of feet of copper wiring, wiring harnesses, ECU's computers, other systems as well as replacing pretty much every single electrical component, not to mention adhesive degradation.

Anything and everything is basically going to corrode, rust, oxidize etc. Any electrical board will be bad, and salt minerals will have coated just about everything.

Also, if any of you missed it- Most of the cars have been forked into their current resting spot and being sent to scrap or being stripped.

There are a couple FR-Ses I'd love to get my hands on. One is flood damaged, the other looks like the front right corner was scraped off. I'd seriously consider getting one of these , stripping it the shell, (dipping it if it was the flood car), and then using it for a build instead of an 818.

The one with the corner damage would be awesome, but there's a bid on it already, and I'll bet he's willing to go a lot higher than I would for a car I'm going to strip.

Corvettes are plastic.

ORLY? :lolguy:

You guys don't get it.

When a car has been dunked in salt water, even as far up as the wheel wells, just about everything is ruined. We're talking about salt water in places that haven't been treated, the oxidizing of the hundreds of feet of copper wiring, wiring harnesses, ECU's computers, other systems as well as replacing pretty much every single electrical component, not to mention adhesive degradation.

Anything and everything is basically going to corrode, rust, oxidize etc. Any electrical board will be bad, and salt minerals will have coated just about everything.

Quoted in case you missed it the first time, even though I don't believe for a second anyone on this site would actually go to one of those auctions and buy a car.