Hurricane Sandy Flood cars

Mallard

You guys don't get it.

When a car has been dunked in salt water, even as far up as the wheel wells, just about everything is ruined. We're talking about salt water in places that haven't been treated, the oxidizing of the hundreds of feet of copper wiring, wiring harnesses, ECU's computers, other systems as well as replacing pretty much every single electrical component, not to mention adhesive degradation.

Anything and everything is basically going to corrode, rust, oxidize etc. Any electrical board will be bad, and salt minerals will have coated just about everything.

Also, if any of you missed it- Most of the cars have been forked into their current resting spot and being sent to scrap or being stripped.

I was referring more to parting out the mechanical parts of the car more than anything, such as motor, trans, diff, wheels, ect. And if I were to do something like that, I would make sure to tell the buyer that the parts need inspected before use. The electrical and any body panels that can hold moisture/standing water would be a nightmare that I would not want to mess with. Mostly I would say they aren't worth buying anyhow.

I guess I am too much of a car / gear head.. This just makes me sick to my stomach.

Porsche Cayman, Bently, 67 Deuce, etc (Ugh)...

Also noticed 200+ boats (Some pretty nice). At least those would fend a little better in the water (CR Boat crew?)

I guess I am too much of a car / gear head.. This just makes me sick to my stomach.

Porsche Cayman, Bently, 67 Deuce, etc (Ugh)...

Also noticed 200+ boats (Some pretty nice). At least those would fend a little better in the water (CR Boat crew?)

Not if it went inside and got electronics and such wet, the same issue still happens to a boat as it does to a car.

I was referring more to parting out the mechanical parts of the car more than anything, such as motor, trans, diff, wheels, ect. And if I were to do something like that, I would make sure to tell the buyer that the parts need inspected before use. The electrical and any body panels that can hold moisture/standing water would be a nightmare that I would not want to mess with. Mostly I would say they aren't worth buying anyhow.

Obviously your dumbass still dont get it. The salt water ruins everything.

Are you really this fucking stupid?

Care to elaborate? If the parts I was referring to (and prolly some more parts than that) are disassembled and cleaned and properly checked (before they start to corrode), I see no issue with using say the long block, or the trans, or the rear end (from a rwd/awd), or the wheels. I'm sure there would me more useable parts, but if you get the cars for the right price, you could easily profit from said items and they would be usable.

Care to elaborate? If the parts I was referring to (and prolly some more parts than that) are disassembled and cleaned and properly checked (before they start to corrode), I see no issue with using say the long block, or the trans, or the rear end (from a rwd/awd), or the wheels. I'm sure there would me more useable parts, but if you get the cars for the right price, you could easily profit from said items and they would be usable.

Yeah I will elaborate. These parts you speak of would have to be taken apart and cleaned within days or less to be saved from the salt water. You have obviously never seen the damage that it causes and are just talking out your ass like you really know.

Elaborated.

Even if there were any corrosion inside the motor, you cant tell me it couldnt be machined out, or that most of it wouldn't be usable. Transmissions are generally pretty well sealed and so are rear ends. And I've never seen corrosion start on wheels over the winter when they haven't been cleaned all winter (non-chrome). Hell I have a junk bare block that has been sitting outside for 4-6 months that could prolly get away with a good hone if it didn't have a gouge in one of the cylinder walls.

Besides as mentioned before, in order for it to be considered a flood loss car, the water only needs to break the door sills. If the water only went that high, the motor would have no water inside. Some cars would have been completely submerged in water, but I would bet most haven't.

Even if there were any corrosion inside the motor, you cant tell me it couldnt be machined out, or that most of it wouldn't be usable. Transmissions are generally pretty well sealed and so are rear ends. And I've never seen corrosion start on wheels over the winter when they haven't been cleaned all winter (non-chrome). Hell I have a junk bare block that has been sitting outside for 4-6 months that could prolly get away with a good hone if it didn't have a gouge in one of the cylinder walls.

Besides as mentioned before, in order for it to be considered a flood loss car, the water only needs to break the door sills. If the water only went that high, the motor would have no water inside. Some cars would have been completely submerged in water, but I would bet most haven't.

Agree..